Jan 1, 2015 at 11:40 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Can't you just use flags instead of jumping for equips? That's what Pixel did for the boosters and those star things.
Plus, he might be talking about a custom item, not one of the <EQ+ ones...

Overall I feel as if only your second paragraph is relevant.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:47 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I did a bit of research around the forums and google, but I couldn't find an answer.
If Noxid's TSC+ allows for variables, what are the commands to use them? every time I try to use <VAR, the game just crashes, even though I'm pretty sure that I installed TSC+ correctly (using doukutsu assembler) so what am I doing wrong? I don't really have a list of TSC+ variable commands (just use what is on CE which is what I assume is for TSC+ which I could be wrong)

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:02 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
oh, there is a problem with TSC+
the VAR commands rely on a separate hack being already installed, something like "TSC enhancements", it was in the HackInstaller patch set.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:40 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I was able to get it working, but they don't work as how I hoped they work (unless I installed it all wrong which led to bugs)
1. Variables aren't stored in a save file, but stored in the client itself (which resets when the client is opened again)
2. can't get <VAO to work at all
So because of that, I can't really use variables for how I want to use them.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:46 AM
Based Member
Can't you just use flags instead of jumping for equips? That's what Pixel did for the boosters and those star things.
You are absolutely right, I can't believe that didn't occur to me when I wrote that post. Pixel also did that for the mimiga mask. Yeah, knuckles, just whenever you equip or un-equip an item, make sure that you set or unset a specified flag. That way you can just check that flag and it will be as if you're checking whether or not that item is equipped. Never mind that stuff I said about the <EQJ hack.

I assumed that knuckles was talking about checking item equip flags based on the fact that he used the word "equip" in his post twice. I briefly mentioned the <ITJ command in my post just in case that wasn't the case, though.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:48 AM
"Huzzah!"
While you can check whether or not you have an item in your inventory via the <ITJ command, there is none for checking whether or not things are equipped. That being said, Carrotlord provided a custom <EQJ command in his assembly beginner's guide that does just that. If you want me to quickly put together a text document for you to use in the doukutstu assembler so that you can patch it into your mod's executable and use the command, I can do that.

After having that command, what you can do is put hor/vert triggers in the area near where you want the tiles to change, and have their events check if the item's equipped, and change the tiles appropriately if so. I don't advise having these cover every last possible area though, because standing in the operational area of a hor/vert trigger makes you unable to open up your inventory or map system, unless you want to install Lace's multi-threading TSC hack which I believe would be a bit more complicated.
I'll look into those options. but I do have Lace's <MIM hack installed... might be a problem.

Overall I feel as if only your second paragraph is relevant.
IT IS a custom item... the morph ball from metroid.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:22 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I was able to get it working, but they don't work as how I hoped they work (unless I installed it all wrong which led to bugs)
1. Variables aren't stored in a save file, but stored in the client itself (which resets when the client is opened again)
2. can't get <VAO to work at all
So because of that, I can't really use variables for how I want to use them.
No, if it works then variables should be written to the flag data, which gets saved. The top 1000 flags or so, iirc.
The hack is old and poorly documented though, so it might need to be fixed. You just have to know asm to figure out what's wrong.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:07 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Was able to get <VAO working

But yeah, it might be broken, unless I messed up in the installation.
It saves to client (doukutsu.exe) and when you use esc-F2 and start a new game, the variable will still be the same no matter what, even if it wasn't set in the new save yet. the variable clears/resets only when the client is closed and reopen (which takes out the whole reason of variables)

Another thing, why, before the variable is set with <VAR, is shows random numbers and sometimes letters?
Like in this picture: http://puu.sh/dX0gP/07df81a8a6.png this is using <NUM1001 which is the variable flag used.
it is also constant until <VAR is used.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:10 AM
"Huzzah!"
Gavintendo64 said:
So uh... in ASM hacking, how would you increase the speed of quote's walking.
Cave Story physics editor by carrotlord can do this, but it's buggy sometimes.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:16 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
knuckles5577 said:
Cave Story physics editor by carrotlord can do this, but it's buggy sometimes.

As in it completely fucks up a few weapons

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:37 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Gavintendo64 said:
So uh... in ASM hacking, how would you increase the speed of quote's walking.
Use the built-in feature of booster's lab that lets you do this (make sure to download the latest version in the thread, not what the OP says is the latest version)

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:18 AM
"Huzzah!"
What do I do when doukutsu assembler says:
There was an error attempting to write data to the game exe: (path to executable here)
Make sure the exe is not read-only. Also, close OllyDbg if it's open.
My exe is not read-only and OllyDbg isn't open. :(

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:33 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Erm, I'm trying to implement a money system. Specifically the one carrotlord created.
But I'm having problems finding where /this/ code should be put.
PUSH (Arbitrary Value
PUSH DWORD PTS DS:[49e181]
PUSH (Y Value)
PUSH (X Value)
CALL 40F380
ADD ESP, 10.
The link to the thread is
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/4367/ I know where the other stuff goes,
Except for this piece of coding.
Also, what do I put in as the arbitrary, x, and y values?

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:45 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
it just goes anywhere you need it to
it calls the "render numbers" function, supplying the value of coins as the argument. The X and Y are where it should go on screen.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:17 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I put it at the end of the code, filled with all the DB 00's because I didn't want to modify any of the pre-written code. Still doesn't work. Any suggestions where it should go?...

Attachments

• bandicam 2015-01-03 21-23-07-457.jpg
    bandicam 2015-01-03 21-23-07-457.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bandicam 2015-01-03 21-21-27-657.jpg
    bandicam 2015-01-03 21-21-27-657.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 0
Jan 4, 2015 at 2:21 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
uh
no dude, it has to go somewhere in the middle of the existing code
that way it gets run
it has to get put somewhere that other stuff wont' get drawn over top of it as well, so you need to have an idea of what the sequence of function calls for the game is.