Dec 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM
"Huzzah!"
What do you mean by "can't scroll"? The camera isn't focused on the player, or what?
What if you add <FOM0008?
I'll try that, but if it doesn't work I'll have to show you.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM
"Huzzah!"
What do you mean by "can't scroll"? The camera isn't focused on the player, or what?
What if you add <FOM0008?
It did work, Thanks... I had focused on a npc earlier in my script and forgot to focus back on the player.

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:01 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Can someone explain how Boss scripting works and how to do it? Also, how do I add a Boss Health Bar to an entity that is not already a boss (e.g. the enraged Mimiga in the Grasstown Hut)? Finally, what is the most effective way to close off a Boss area so that you can't escape from a Boss (if I am moving the Boss out of its original area)?

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:17 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Can someone explain how Boss scripting works and how to do it? Also, how do I add a Boss Health Bar to an entity that is not already a boss (e.g. the enraged Mimiga in the Grasstown Hut)? Finally, what is the most effective way to close off a Boss area so that you can't escape from a Boss (if I am moving the Boss out of its original area)?
<BSL[entityevent#] shows the health of the NPC. Boss NPC's are a little tricky. For one you can't edit them in the npc tbl. two, as far as I know they are bound to their set area unless you use ASM. spawning invincible not moving NPCs and using the <CMP/<SMP commands are the best ways to seal rooms.

I implore you to look through either CE or BL's entire glossary.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
<BSL[entityevent#] shows the health of the NPC. Boss NPC's are a little tricky. For one you can't edit them in the npc tbl. two, as far as I know they are bound to their set area unless you use ASM. spawning invincible not moving NPCs and using the <CMP/<SMP commands are the best ways to seal rooms.

One other thing: If you look at the "MapData" you will see a list of 9 "Map Bosses", which are the ones that Goerge is referring to in bold.

These bosses are also different in that you use "<BOA" instead of "<ANP" to control them, and you use "<BSL0000" to show their health bar.

All the other bosses in the game are essentially just like any other NPC. You use <BSL[EntitiyEvent#] like he said, you use "<ANP" to control them, and you can edit their Health in NPC.TBL and move them and everything. So if you wanted to, you can make "Toroko with a stick" a boss with a health bar and such.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:42 PM
One other thing: If you look at the "MapData" you will see a list of 9 "Map Bosses", which are the ones that Goerge is referring to in bold.
These bosses are also different in that you use "<BOA" instead of "<ANP" to control them, and you use "<BSL0000" to show their health bar.

All the other bosses in the game are essentially just like any other NPC. You use <BSL[EntitiyEvent#] like he said, you use "<ANP" to control them, and you can edit their Health in NPC.TBL and move them and everything. So if you wanted to, you can make "Toroko with a stick" a boss with a health bar and such.
Thanks to both of you. By any chance, is there a list somewhere of all the bosses and how to animate them so that they function properly?

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:59 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Does anyone know of a command or a hack that let's you change the background of the map in game either through a flag system or such similar?
Doesn't matter if it activates when command is used of when you re-enter map.

Unless it's impossible...
Recreate the map with identical mapdata, change the background and then set <FLJ's before your <TRA's to the map.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:35 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Recreate the map with identical mapdata, change the background and then set <FLJ's before your <TRA's to the map.

That's what i'm trying to avoid since, from the scale of this mod, it will end up being a huge waste of maps (three for each map)

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:36 AM

Why does the "Appear Once FlagID is Set" flag sometimes not work? I am trying to set the sequence for after a boss is defeated (the Ravil in the Grasstown Hut). I have an H/V Trigger set to appear when flag 2468 is set. Here is what the code for the boss and the H/V Trigger look like.
Boss: Ravil. The Ravil appears from entity 200. Entity 302 triggers the change from a null entity to the Ravil.

<PRI<DNP0302<CMU0004<CNP0200:0115:0002<ANP0200:0030:0002<BSL0200<FL+2468<END

H/V Trigger (should appear when flag 2468 is set, which it is)

<PRI<CMU0015<MSGDefeated... what was that thing?<WAI0140<NOD<CMU0000<DNP0400<FL-2468<END
This same sort of thing happens with "Appear" and "No Appear" flags all the time. They just won't work sometimes. Can someone explain why and how I can fix this particular situation?

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:42 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Doesn't work until you reenter the map.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:53 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Wilfre said:
That's what i'm trying to avoid since, from the scale of this mod, it will end up being a huge waste of maps (three for each map)
good luck.

IIRC Informal flags can spill into the map data, so maybe if you use the same amount of characters for each file to load, that would work, but it would be a royal pain.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:55 AM
Alright then, after a non-special boss (like a Ravil), how do I get the boss-defeated sequence to work?

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:11 AM
Wilfre said:
Use Entity Flag 200 it runs whatever script is attached to the boss when it dies.

Also, may I advise you to study Cave Story itself and look how things work, make connections and stuff. Trial and error also works.
That's how I learn.
*facepalm* Of course! "Run event on death"! I'm so stupid...

I looked at Igor and Balrog as an example but couldn't figure it out. Thanks!

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:17 PM
"Huzzah!"
Is there any way the game can check if you have an item equipped and change blocks when you have it equipped and change back when you don't?... Flags don't seem to work. I want an immediate change. Not have to leave the map or <TRA to a different one. .-.

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Is there any way the game can check if you have an item equipped and change blocks when you have it equipped and change back when you don't?... Flags don't seem to work. I want an immediate change. Not have to leave the map or <TRA to a different one. .-.
While you can check whether or not you have an item in your inventory via the <ITJ command, there is none for checking whether or not things are equipped. That being said, Carrotlord provided a custom <EQJ command in his assembly beginner's guide that does just that. If you want me to quickly put together a text document for you to use in the doukutstu assembler so that you can patch it into your mod's executable and use the command, I can do that.

After having that command, what you can do is put hor/vert triggers in the area near where you want the tiles to change, and have their events check if the item's equipped, and change the tiles appropriately if so. I don't advise having these cover every last possible area though, because standing in the operational area of a hor/vert trigger makes you unable to open up your inventory or map system, unless you want to install Lace's multi-threading TSC hack which I believe would be a bit more complicated.