Mar 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
liammillay said:
(i suggest having 100-200 for chests and stuff)
No, keep it high enough so that it doesn't conflict with vanilla flags, unless you're completely erasing the old script. 3000+ is pretty safe.
liammillay said:
<DNP(insert the chest open event number here)
No, that would delete the open chest entity, which doesn't even exist on the map at that point. You want to <CNP the closed chest so it becomes open.
liammillay said:
Oh and also, put an open chest object behind the closed chest (don't put the flags on this one)
No, you still need entity flags for the open chest; as I said in my previous post, you want the "appear when flag is set" one for the open chest.
Oh, and the "press down to execute script" flag for both of the chest entities, of course.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

by "<DNP(insert the chest open event number here)" i meant the event when the chest opens.

Also, whats the point of making the open chest appear after the closed chest dissapear? Just put the open chest entity in the area where the chest is, and move the closed chest over it, and it works.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Professional Whatever
But the open chest entity doesn't exist.

Also, <CNP is easier than <DNP<CNP<MNP.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

i never said it would involve <CNP! There would be an Open chest entity BEHIND the CLOSED chest entity!

So when the CLOSED chest dissapears, you can see the OPEN one.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Professional Whatever
That's not how it works
You can't just do that
ABORT MISSION
ABORT MISSION

On another note, please stop being hostile. No one's provoking you.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Based Member
MagicDoors said:
liammillay said:
Oh and also, put an open chest object behind the closed chest (don't put the flags on this one) so when the closed chest entity dissapears, only the open one will appear from then on.
No, you still need entity flags for the open chest; as I said in my previous post, you want the "appear when flag is set" one for the open chest.
Oh, and the "press down to execute script" flag for both of the chest entities, of course.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about assigning the entity a flag ID, not entity flags.
MagicDoors said:
But the open chest entity doesn't exist.
How does it not exist?
MagicDoors said:
Also, <CNP is easier than <DNP<CNP<MNP.
Actually, if you use <DNP, all you have to do is enter that entity's event number, and if you're using Liam's technique, it automatically makes the chest look like it's opening, and it sets the entity's flag ID for you. If you use <CNP, you have to specify the entity's event number, and you have to specify what it changes into, and you have to enter a parameter for the direction, and you also have to set the entity's flag ID.
MagicDoors said:
liammillay said:
There would be an Open chest entity BEHIND the CLOSED chest entity!
So when the CLOSED chest dissapears, you can see the OPEN one.
That's not how it works
You can't just do that
Uh, yes, yes you can. I'm not sure if you're missing part of what Liam is saying or what, but he's describing a perfectly legitimate and working way to make treasure chests. Yours is correct too though. You are both describing different ways to do treasure chests, and I wouldn't say one is significantly better than the other.
MagicDoors said:
On another note, please stop being hostile. No one's provoking you.
Not gonna lie Doors, there is a little bit of provocation on your part in this. Liam is describing a perfectly valid way of making treasure chests, and I think you're misreading part of his posts or something, and that your interpretation of them is something that wouldn't work. And you're kind of basically telling him that it wouldn't work, and getting a bit hostile yourself the more he tries to explain his technique.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Professional Whatever
Alright, alright, fair enough. I didn't realize you could do that.

Still, I wasn't being provocative. I just misunderstood. It's nothing to get upset about.

The open chest entity doesn't exist because it hasn't appeared yet, because its flag hasn't been set. I didn't realize he meant placing it behind the closed chest and always keeping it there.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Thanks everyone for helping me out! I was able to make it work. I've set both chest entity id to 3002, flagged the open chest so it would appear after the 3002 flag is set, and flagged the closed one so it would disappear after the 3002 flag is set.

Then coded it the following way :

Code:
<KEY<FLJ3002:0123<FL+3002<SOU0022<CNP0122:0021:0000<MSGOpened the chest...<NOD<CMU0010<AM+0012:0000<MSG<GIT0012Got the =Nemesis=!<WAI0160<NOD<RMU<END
<KEY<MSGIt's empty...<NOD<END

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Glad you figured it out!

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'm having trouble editing characters. I tried editing the "MyChar" file in data and changed a few things, and then saved it, but whenever I try playing Cave Story it comes up with some BS error.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:55 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You need to remove the (C)Pixel requirement

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Noxid said:
You need to remove the (C)Pixel requirement
How do I do that?

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:19 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
try pressing the game settings button

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:51 AM
I still don't really get what to do here.

Okay I've been using Cave Editor. After I get my custom stuff in, turn off the @Pixel thing, and set it to read bmp files, I'm suddenly unable to open up Cave Story in Sue's Workshop or Cave Editor, or even PLAY Cave Story. It says it's "not a valid win32 application". Wat.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Based Member
Huzzah said:
I'm suddenly unable to open up Cave Story in Sue's Workshop or Cave Editor, or even PLAY Cave Story. It says it's "not a valid win32 application". Wat.
If you open up a copy of Cave Story with Cave Editor, and then try to afterwards open it up with Sue's, it won't work. Those editors aren't compatible with each other. I believe the vice versa works though.

Sue's is very good at wrecking your .EXE if you don't click "Commit changes" and then "Quit" from the "File" menu. I don't know why Sue's is so picky about this, it just is. Anyway, I only recommend using Sue's when you're still getting used to modding due to it's more friendly interface, and after you've gotten used to how everything works switching to Cave Editor and never using Sue's again.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM
HaydenStudios said:
If you open up a copy of Cave Story with Cave Editor, and then try to afterwards open it up with Sue's, it won't work. Those editors aren't compatible with each other. I believe the vice versa works though.

Sue's is very good at wrecking your .EXE if you don't click "Commit changes" and then "Quit" from the "File" menu. I don't know why Sue's is so picky about this, it just is. Anyway, I only recommend using Sue's when you're still getting used to modding due to it's more friendly interface, and after you've gotten used to how everything works switching to Cave Editor and never using Sue's again.

Okay, I see. Well... I don't know I'd say I'm good at modding, but I wanna do more than what Sue's can do. I've been modding for a while but I quit for a long period of time and picked it back up again recently. I'm sure I can adjust to Cave Editor. Thanks for the info.

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Two questions, there odd, so prepare!

<First, is it possible to mod a gun (any gun) in cave story and make it so it's a grappling hook. Basically so it both hurts enemies, you can reach high up places, shoot at far away walls, or if it does hit anything, it falls to the ground and you pull yourself from there.

<Second, how would you make it so that the character switches, and goes to a different area. (Keep in mind this is automatically changing after a event, and not manually choosing!)

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Professional Whatever
1: Let me introduce you to your very best friend, assembly code. It's a low-level language in which you change memory addresses to change stuff in the game. This includes weapons. Cave Editor uses basic assembly to be able to change bullet data (I think), but for more complicated weapon edits you'll have to figure out how to change the code on your own or get someone who's good at it to do it for you.

2: What do you mean by switching? I'm not sure what you're talking about. <TRA is the TSC command for transporting to another map.

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Based Member
thomasco2013 said:
<First, is it possible to mod a gun (any gun) in cave story and make it so it's a grappling hook. Basically so it both hurts enemies, you can reach high up places, shoot at far away walls, or if it does hit anything, it falls to the ground and you pull yourself from there.
I believe that there is a mod that does something like what you said. Note though that this would require a lot of assembly.

thomasco2013 said:
<Second, how would you make it so that the character switches, and goes to a different area. (Keep in mind this is automatically changing after a event, and not manually choosing!)
First, edit the bottom half of MyChar.bmp to match the other character you want to play as. Then when you want to switch, use the <EQ+0064 TSC command which equips (and does not add to your inventory) the Mimiga mask, which changes the appearance of your character to the bottom half. Doing <EQ-0064 will change it back to normal. Doing this before fading in will give a better effect of it going to a different person at a different place.

As for what weapons and items you might have, you'll want to set flags based on what weapons you have so that when you want to go back to that character, you can use flag jumps for those weapons and re-equip them if the flags are set. The same thing goes for items in your inventory.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Thanks for the help, and what I mean by switching is that in my mod, there's suppose to be three playable characters. So when you reach a big plot point with one character, it will switch to another, then when you reach a plot point with the character it then switches again, so on and so forth. Sorry I didn't explain that, Hayden and Magic! I wasn't thinking straight!