Mar 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That would require editing the King NPC's Framerect, which would require assembly, which I do not recommend for beginning modders.
Is there a reason you can't simply edit him over a taller NPC such as Kazuma?

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I'm already using Kazuma somewhere else, but if you could find another sprite as tall as Kazmua, that'd be great! Thanks again! Also, I've been modding for awhile now, like I'm working on a mod right now, it came out two days ago. But I shut it down because of glitches I was unaware of. But yeah, easier stuff is what I look for, so tell me a taller sprite, or give me some info on framerects.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Based Member
I was afraid of that. Would the Doctor work? Depending on how much you want this NPC to do, you may need to get a bit creative with which frames you edit of his sprites, and what <ANP commands you use, but his Framerect is definitely big enough.

Also I'm so sorry, I told you on the other thread that that guy only existed in casts.bmp, but I just realized that he's un-used in Guest.bmp, but you seemed to be aware of that yourself. Unless I am much mistaken, unused sprites that you find on some of the sprite sheets never have entities made for them in the game. I believe the same thing goes for the white Drollish creature in NpcCent, and the owl in NpcEggs1.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Well, heres the thing, for my case, all I want the sprite to do is stand around and the character being able to talk to him. I already know how to make him talk and stand around now with the info you've given me. So thanks again! If I need more help, where can I find you at? Email maybe....

Also, I want to make it so that another character (Besides BA2) walks into the room, talks to the player then leaves. I know Kazuma does something to that extent towards the end when he asks if you will leave with him. But I don't want there to be a character that asks a question, so how can I do this?

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Professional Whatever
It seems that you don't have much grasp on knowledge of TSC. You should look around the forums for some guides on the matter. This thread should provide a great deal of info.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Yeah, I do, my friend says if I can understand TSC, I'm better than him, and he's a computer wizard! And thanks for the advice.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Based Member
Just to narrow your search, this is unfathomably helpful when it comes to making cutscenes:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/632/
thomasco2013 said:
Well, heres the thing, for my case, all I want the sprite to do is stand around and the character being able to talk to him. I already know how to make him talk and stand around now with the info you've given me. So thanks again!
Great! Glad it's working.
thomasco2013 said:
If I need more help, where can I find you at? Email maybe....
If you need more modding help, then it would be best to simply post another reply to this topic. But if there's something you want to say to/ask me, then you can leave a message on my profile. Or if it's something that you either don't want other people to see, or a message of long length, then you can send me a PM.

Anyway, the <ANP TSC command and ANP.txt are your friends when it comes to making cutscenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Professional Whatever
Okay, let's look at your question.
thomasco2013 said:
I know Kazuma does something to that extent towards the end when he asks if you will leave with him. But I don't want there to be a character that asks a question, so how can I do this?
The entity that you use doesn't affect whether he asks you a question or not. The TSC script handles that. Creating a question prompt is done by using the <YNJ TSC command, followed by a four-character parameter indicating what TSC event is called if the player picks "no". After this, an <ANP will be used - which animates an entity - along with three four-character parameters indicating (in order) the event number of the entity being animated, the animation type (walking, standing, et cetera), and the direction of the entity (0000 means left, 0002 means right).

Here is the list of animation types for important entities.

Any questions?

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Well thanks, you've really helped, you seem to know you're way around modding Cave Story too. Although, with your banner, I already see you've accomplished you're own mod, I plan on playing a little later, anyway, I didn't download it until now because I only made a account today. I'm so pitiful..... Oh! thanks to you too Magic Doors, and Hayden/Magic, thanks for accepting my friend requests too.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Professional Whatever
We're always here to help with whatever you need. Just try to figure it out yourself first by experimenting with the code and searching around the forums for similar questions. Many common issues have already been answered before, especially in this thread.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello guys, i'm new to modding. I've read the Noxid begginer guide to modding but i didn't find something about making a chest containing items or weapons. I was able make a chest with a weapon inside (Nemesis) but even after i get the weapon, the chest is still there and you can use it again. I want to make it an open chest (empty) after getting the Nemesis. Can you help me with that, please?

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM

The item-getting event should look something like the following, taken from the Map System chest in the Mimiga Village:

<PRI<FLJ0322:0201<FL+0322<SOU0022<CNP0200:0021:0000
<MSGOpened the chest.<NOD<GIT1002<IT+0002<EQ+0002<CLR
<CMU0010Got the =Map System=!<WAI0160<NOD<RMU<EVE0201

And the lid directly calls event 201:

<PRI<MSGSomething's written here...<NOD<CLR<TURSo long as you retain your spirit
of exploration, surely you shall
find your way out. This I believe.<NOD<END

Note the <FL+0322. The flag ID of these chests is 0322, so setting this flag will make the body disappear and the lid appear.

But with your case, try to duplicate the polar star event without it flashing to Kuzama, sorry, I have no text script on that one!

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
You are not helping him and quite clearly know nothing about TSC, it'd probably be best to not give other people advice while you're still learning

Regardless I'll help you out in a bit, I've just got to get on the xomputer

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Professional Whatever
Everyone ignore Dunc, he's trying to be friendly but it doesn't seem to be working very well.

Let's analyze this, shall we?

<PRI<FLJ0322:0201<FL+0322<SOU0022<CNP0200:0021:0000
<MSGOpened the chest.<NOD<GIT1002<IT+0002<EQ+0002<CLR
<CMU0010Got the =Map System=!<WAI0160<NOD<RMU<EVE0201

<PRI - This freezes the screen to prevent anything from moving while events function. Message boxes and the like still function.
<FLJ0322:0201 - This checks if flag 0322 is set, and if so jumps to event #0201.
<FL+0322 - This sets flag 0322.
<SOU0022 - This plays sound number 0022, which is probably the chest unlock sound.
<CNP0200:0021:0000 - This changes entity with event number 0200 to entity type 0021 (opened chest, I believe) in direction 0000 (left).
<MSG - This creates a message box on the bottom of the screen. The text that follows it is displayed within the message box.
<NOD - This forces the event to wait for user input to move on in the event.
<GIT1002 - This shows a little picture of item number 0002. Add 1000 to the value to show items.
<IT+0002 - This gives the player item 0002 (the map system).
<EQ+0002 - This equips the map system.
<CLR - This clears, but does not close, the message box.
<CMU0010 - This plays song 0010.
<WAI0160 - This forces the script to wait for 0160 ticks.
<RMU - This restores the music to the previous song.
<EVE0201 - This manually calls event #0201.

The chest becomes open using <CNP, and stays open when you come back into the map using a separate entity that is created if its flag number is set. The entity has a certain characteristic that allows it to do this which you can set in one of the game editors fairly easily. In this case, the open chest entity has flag 0322, so it appears when the closed chest event is called and <FL+0322 is used. Also, the closed chest entity disappears when you come back into the map if its flag number is set. In the original game's code, the open chest entity is placed above the closed chest entity so that it's easier to recognize.

I'm sorry if this is confusing. I've never been a very good teacher.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Based Member
Just FYI, most treasure chest events' flag jumps do <FLJXXXX:0001, which runs the global event that displays the "Empty." text that you see in most cases. The chest for the map system is a special case in which something other than the global empty event is ran, so I wouldn't say that was the best example to use for teaching someone how to do treasure chests. Of course, this does not mean it was incorrect. If that's what bothered you Dunc, then there was really no need to act the way you just did.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Why do I ALWAYS come across as a douchebag

Ugh I was just saying that while he's learning, he likely shouldn't be giving other people advice because the advice he gives might have mistakes that could mess up the person asking for help, that's alllllll

I wasn't trying to be mean I swear

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Fine, I get what you mean.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Wolf said:
Hello guys, i'm new to modding. I've read the Noxid begginer guide to modding but i didn't find something about making a chest containing items or weapons. I was able make a chest with a weapon inside (Nemesis) but even after i get the weapon, the chest is still there and you can use it again. I want to make it an open chest (empty) after getting the Nemesis. Can you help me with that, please?
Go into the chests properties, and change the entity ID to a flag that isnt used yet(i suggest having 100-200 for chests and stuff), then go to the entity's flags(this kind of flag is just something that makes an object do stuff like ignore the "No NPC" tile and stuff), and click on "dissapear when flag id is set", and then in the chest event, when you open the chest, set <SOU0022 and then <DNP(insert the chest open event number here), and then put <FL+(insert the entity ID flag number here).

Oh and also, put an open chest object behind the closed chest (don't put the flags on this one) so when the closed chest entity dissapears, only the open one will appear from then on.