GIRakaCHEEZER said:
1 week from now (September 12).
yay

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Re: WTF story demo v 0.4

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Also on an unrelated note, Version 0.5 will be released 1 week from now (September 12).
:eek: That ma birthday!!! Yer well I'd kinda forgotten about it until you wrote the 12th... that tends to happen a lot when your busy. It's almost like a birthday present!!!

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:04 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Okay. This is a review for WTF Story Demo version 0.5.

Now, you're probably asking how I'm posting this review 1 day before the new demo is released. The answer is simple. I invented the time machine, and I thought this would be a perfect moment to test it out. If you don't believe me, I have a trusted source who can confirm this.

So yes, I'm from the future. But... I just went back in time one day, so don't be too freaked out.

Here is my review:
WTF Story version 0.5 (latest alpha... yep you got me.)

The really good stuff:
-Multi-save menu looks very nice
-Double res beach cutscene (w/ Balrog + Curly) is an improvement
-Quote & Curly's 2x sprites look decent
-The cell phone now looks like a cell phone instead of a GPS!
-I'm liking the resprited Spur. Looks like a true pistol now.
-Onlineworms' statue. I don't need to say anything else since it speaks for itself.
-The fact that you get teleported to the right place when you fall
off during rail transit is a good convenience. Definitely not a perfect system
though.
-Press resprites were interesting.
-Now that I can see the Snow Valley background up close (the one with the mountains & trees), I have to say that it presents quite the scenic view.
-Snow weather animation is cool.
-Beautiful music all around.
-pi/4 angled tiles. Very nice.
-Snowballs have a melting animation when they collide with something solid. Good addition.
-The worm boss is the most awesome boss in any mod I've seen. Ingenious design using parent/child entities.
-First the penguins, and now a fedora? I swear - quote is running Linux on his system.
-The town's fetch quest is an appreciated breather from the typical WTF gameplay.
-'Ch 6' is now my favorite part.
-Revive is a good thing.

Things that bothered me to some degree:
-Green bats in first area. Their mouths should be moved to the left a little. Just feels like it.
-There's still the issue of no H/V trigger in the pit in Secret Mission 4.
Now that mines do 2 damage in Normal difficulty, that should probably be fixed up.
-The new system matrix is cool and all, but it feels less infinite. You know how the integers are infinite
and the real numbers are infinite, but the # of reals is infinitely more infinite than the infinite # of integers. Yeah.
-During the worm battle, "unconcious" should be "unconscious"
-Snowboss's outline should probably be smoother (anti-aliased better).
And that's that. I really enjoy this mod and its excellent puzzles / atmosphere, so that's what I'll conclude with.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:46 AM
LSD
"..."

Carrotlord said:
Okay. This is a review for WTF Story Demo version 0.5.

Now, you're probably asking how I'm posting this review 1 day before the new demo is released. The answer is simple. I invented the time machine, and I thought this would be a perfect moment to test it out. If you don't believe me, I have a trusted source who can confirm this.

So yes, I'm from the future. But... I just went back in time one day, so don't be too freaked out.

Here is my review:
WTF Story version 0.5 (latest alpha... yep you got me.)

The really good stuff:
-Multi-save menu looks very nice
-Double res beach cutscene (w/ Balrog + Curly) is an improvement
-Quote & Curly's 2x sprites look decent
-The cell phone now looks like a cell phone instead of a GPS!
-I'm liking the resprited Spur. Looks like a true pistol now.
-Onlineworms' statue. I don't need to say anything else since it speaks for itself.
-The fact that you get teleported to the right place when you fall
off during rail transit is a good convenience. Definitely not a perfect system
though.
-Press resprites were interesting.
-Now that I can see the Snow Valley background up close (the one with the mountains & trees), I have to say that it presents quite the scenic view.
-Snow weather animation is cool.
-Beautiful music all around.
-pi/4 angled tiles. Very nice.
-Snowballs have a melting animation when they collide with something solid. Good addition.
-The worm boss is the most awesome boss in any mod I've seen. Ingenious design using parent/child entities.
-First the penguins, and now a fedora? I swear - quote is running Linux on his system.
-The town's fetch quest is an appreciated breather from the typical WTF gameplay.
-'Ch 6' is now my favorite part.
-Revive is a good thing.

Things that bothered me to some degree:
-Green bats in first area. Their mouths should be moved to the left a little. Just feels like it.
-There's still the issue of no H/V trigger in the pit in Secret Mission 4.
Now that mines do 2 damage in Normal difficulty, that should probably be fixed up.
-The new system matrix is cool and all, but it feels less infinite. You know how the integers are infinite
and the real numbers are infinite, but the # of reals is infinitely more infinite than the infinite # of integers. Yeah.
-During the worm battle, "unconcious" should be "unconscious"
-Snowboss's outline should probably be smoother (anti-aliased better).
And that's that. I really enjoy this mod and its excellent puzzles / atmosphere, so that's what I'll conclude with.

Well, looks like we've got a bunch to look forward to in the next couple of hours.

I guess I should look for my 0.4 Saves :(

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:53 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Glad you mentioned saves. Any new flags that'll wipe my save? Even though it sounds like I should start over anyway due to the brand new graphics at 2x res.

Although the mod was and is HARD, I kind of don't want to kill my progress :(

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:56 AM
LSD
"..."

seren said:
Glad you mentioned saves. Any new flags that'll wipe my save? Even though it sounds like I should start over anyway due to the brand new graphics at 2x res.

Although the mod was and is HARD, I kind of don't want to kill my progress :(

I spent 2 FREAKING DAYS
On that freaken maze.

I would really appreciate it if saves will transfer.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:58 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
this mod is easy shit :(

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:08 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Pigaro said:
I spent 2 FREAKING DAYS
On that freaken maze.

I would really appreciate it if saves will transfer.

It should be easier this time around.

At the very least it is shorter.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:34 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
It should be easier this time around.

At the very least it is shorter.

Question dodge! dc20

What maze? Is that before or after the rails? If before, it must have been so bad I don't remember it.

In any case, I missed the missile launcher. I feel I will lose the game because of this.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:47 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Re: WTF story demo v 0.5

WTF Story version 0.5 released!

You can download it from the first page of this thread or from the downloads page on the blog.

Features:
-Options menu added (mute music, mute sound effects, 25 fps (for slower computers)). Can be accessed at anytime by pressing F3.
-Entire mod uses better graphics (double resolution compared to original Cave Story)
-Made memory banks puzzle easier
-Made Tetris bit easier
-Added save in Generator
-Made Railway easier
-Added save in Railway
-Made System matrix easier and shorter
-All of chapter 5 is new content

To use your old save grab the ‘profile.dat’ from you old WTF Story folder and put it in the new WTF Story folder, and rename it to ‘prof1.dat’ (or ‘prof2.dat’ or ‘prof3.dat’). It is recommended that you save right after loading it.

Also I am looking into translating this version of WTF Story to japanese so if anyone wants to help me with that or knows someone that can, leave a message below.

Funfact: It's been approximately 1 year and 9 months since the release of version 0.4.

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:42 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

I just realized that I'm mentioned in the credits because of the assembler. This is sweetness.

Later I might post mini-game reviews, since I'm planning on trying everything in the carnival this time. :(

Voyce said:
--and it doesnt work?

Program seems to run fine for me. Give specifics on your situation?

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:48 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

Yay - this thing's out - will review l8r.

EDIT: Can you please give me the solution of the spacesign puzzle. I do not know if I am solving it right either. I don't want to use any maths, so tried it on a hit/miss basis. I do not know that this will or will not lead me to the solution in a reasonable time. I guessed 13 right (if I did lol :()
up,left,up,right,right,right,down.left,right,right,right,up...?

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

GIRakaCHEEZER, impressive work.

I have encountered a bug. After the cutscene with Blocky and B@lrog at the start of Chapter 5, talking to Curly again repeats the cutscene with both not present. Curly will start to follow you after cutscene so, add a blank NPC above her with 'One tile down'. In the script, after cutscene, delete Curly, replace the blank NPC with Curly AI and animate it. (This is in WTF Easy, but it is recommended to check both Easy and Original).

Pushing the 'Windows' key on keyboard while full screen to go the desktop, then clicking the game in the taskbar. If text was displayed in green, it becomes white until the next lines of text.

EDIT (3:00PM PDT):That is all I could find on my complete run.

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Features:
-Made memory banks puzzle easier
-Made Tetris bit easier
-Added save in Generator
-Made Railway easier
-Added save in Railway
-Made System matrix easier and shorter

Why did you make it easier than it should? I never found it to be insanely difficult...
That aside, I actually enjoyed the difficulty in the previous version. Never felt that it needed to be changed, actually.
Either way, I'm still going to download this and will enjoy this. I just know, deep down in my gut, that this will still be good no matter what

EDIT:The changes were not as balance changing as I expected. In fact, I think they actually made it more balanced.
Also, I'm really enjoying the new update so far. My only (minor) complaint is that the hit detection for the snowmen on a downward slope is a bit...off. I feel that the empty space that I'm hitting is a bit awkward, and actually cause several of my deaths.

Lastly, about secret mission 5:
Was I supposed to use the Bubbler 2.0? I feel like a dirty cheater when doing so.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:56 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

Played for about 30 minutes, just beat Chapter 3.
Nice job so far, liking the graphics, anticipating the new content.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:04 AM
Been here way too long...

Yagh tophats
how to deal

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

I did not complete it entirely since I have some trouble winning 4 tickets, but here is my review so far.

Prelude: The rollercoaster race is so awesome. It should make a separate mod too, so fun it is. :sue:

Review: This mod rocks, 10/10 :)

Constructive criticism: the transition from space to snowy mountains is too sudden. You can go back there and find yourself in space again. than in the mountains, than in space...etc...in a twinkling of an eye...Also the big ice triangles (presses) do not looks so good and the whole snowy area seems a bit rushed. The mod is easier than before, still I used the Ultimate Doukutsu Trainer. I suggest making a "cheat mode" or having "cheat codes" like many games have, that should solve all difficulty issues with the mod for good, broaden your audience, plus it would make an interesting extra :)

Review continues when I win the tickets...

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:26 AM
"Huzzah!"

Just finished downloading v0.5. This may be a laugh to some, but I am stuck on the first door.(don't know what to do next.) Hopefully I'll find out though. I bet it's so simple. I think it was because I was on wtf easy.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:26 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"