Undertale

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:40 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
Stumbled across a fan-made Undertale boss battle and thought I'd share it. It's really cool.
http://taxiderby.tumblr.com/post/135354499621/hi-i-made-playable-undertale-tribute-game

I'd suggest playing through both paths of the original game before playing it, as it has some spoilers.
I'm honestly not a fan. Some of the attacks are cool and the animation is fluid but the physics are noticeably off along with some of the sprites, I've encountered numerous visual glitches and there's one moment that completely breaks the mood. It's well made though.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:06 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
@Reddeh Le Steddeh
What moment completely broke the mood btw?
And what kind of glitches did you encounter? Just curious since I didn't notice anything major.

Stumbled across a fan-made Undertale boss battle and thought I'd share it. It's really cool.
http://taxiderby.tumblr.com/post/135354499621/hi-i-made-playable-undertale-tribute-game

I'd suggest playing through both paths of the original game before playing it, as it has some spoilers.
Awesome battle. I saw this earlier on youtube, and it looks like the best fan battle that I've seen so far.
I thought it took place in the future at first though...
ERGH. I've become a horrible person =(

Was attempting to beat the peaceful route without using any items... When that failed I went full blown Chara.
Attempted to do a no-damage Chara run for the special response I heard about, but eventually gave up and gave in.
Flowey told me my score was 3-34 (because I kept suiciding after taking damage...) and I decided to even up the score.

What monster have I become?

Flowey had a bunch of different things to say as I started winning each time. Felt good, though eventually even Flowey gets discouraged and leaves. I forget how many kills it takes...
After that I watched the no-damage run online....

And after that, I finally turned my attention to other routes, such as being a friend.... and then... betrayal at the last. Why was I so hell bent on defeating her again and again... As Flowey said... "You must really hate her..."

She was just an eyesore. An obstacle to be removed. A nuisance.... But, I was smiling. She makes good practice! :) It's hard to find a strong enemy.
*Feels the sins crawling* ugh...

*ahem* Anyway, here are the endings I discovered:
Kill her outright until Flowey gives up on you.
Kill her outright without taking damage.
Kill her after talking.
Tell jokes.
Kill her after befriending.
Hurt, then spare her.
Befriend her and spare her...

Any other choices probably ends in Game Over.
Sadly, I couldn't find a stick fetching ending...

........... Not sure if there are special requirements for the Game's True End, besides just befriending her and sparing. I got the nice epilogue after I finally befriended her and spared.

Earlier this week I couldn't willingly hurt a single character in Undertale. But, thanks to being encouraged to do Genocide, I've reached LV 20 and destroyed the world.

Thanks guys. :p

PS - Didn't sell my soul. Chara will have to try harder than that. :heart:

Toriel... ;-;

So, I finished Undertale on the G route and had a wonderful idea
How about a Cave Story mod called:
Code:
Cave Story :)
Basically it's another replay of Cave Story at its core. Except, it exists together with Undertale.
Whoops... Let me clarify that a bit.

Cave Story is a perfect target for continuing Undertale's story in canon. In the most horrible way possible.
Genocide spoilers:
Assuming you've completed Undertale's Genocide route and eliminated the enemy and the world, you have met Chara.
They suggest to continue your game in the next world. But Perfect candidates for Chara are difficult to find.
First, a "silent" protag is ideal. Second, the world needs to be easily modifiable; to prepare new possibilities. Third, few people should know the player character's identity at the start. Fourth, 4th wall breaks. Fifth, EXP should be gatherable.

Sure you can pick up any game and feel the presence through your actions, but if you want realize the vision, then you have to take the next step and create a shared format.

Maybe you just want me to get to the point...?

Code:
Cave Story :)
would be an ideal experience for Chara. Quote's a free to manipulate character, with only the basic, mostly good routes set in stone. Complete with amnesia, and loss of sense of self.

And don't forget the scene where you can beat Curly Brace and answer the question: "I suppose you are going to kill all the Mimigas, just like the other robots?" YES/NO

Now ask yourself, what would it take to defeat the enemy this time? You won't be equipped with the Knife. And even if Quote potentially is a godly fighter with the right weapons, he doesn't LV up quite the same way. It's a different game after all.

Oh, and the 4th wall break... It has to do with how Booster can exist in multiple states. He can either be alive or dead depending on your Determination.
So how do you go about conquering this "Game"?

Grinding first cave is simple. Do the rules of not attacking people within homes apply or is that for shops? Might have to ignore the sleeping Hermit if that's the case...
And when you arrive in Mimiga Village... Do you immediately begin your quest?
Will Balrog arrive just in time to save Toroko?

Or will you take a pacifist route and bide your time? You know what your target should be right?
If it can work for you, the Demon Crown might be the ideal starting place. Unless Chara does not seek external power, and instead relies on EXP and his Determination to win?

Or perhaps.. just taking down the island is where your interest lies?

The only ones that might be able to take you down are likely: a powered up Curly Brace, Misery + Balrog, Doctor, and Ballos. Or some kind of trap by humans. (Could the Seal Chamber work on Chara? Could crashing the island stop Chara?

Such a mod does not even have to reference Undertale really. It'll just be seen as some kind of killer robot mod, expanding the possibilities of the game. Maybe expanding on the Demon Crown's potential influence?

...The Chara infection spreads through ideas... So, ignore this post... and... prevent the apocalypse!!
*grabs face* RAHHH

On a lighter note... lots of videos!

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:33 PM
Indie game enthusiast
@GIRakaCHEEZER - I knew there was a reason the pie was intimidating ...

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:42 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Some mashup things....
Interesting..."Golden Flowers" is probably the one that works best in my opinion; Undertale's "Once Upon a Time" motif is very versatile and is used throughout the soundtrack with different chord progressions, so I think it lends itself well into a lot of songs. "Genocide" is a good initiative, but sounds a bit sour in some parts. In track 5 at measure 27, try adjusting the notes so that they fit into Megalovania's chord progression while their rhythms and sound still keep to the "Last Battle" feel. I will give you props for having creative, appropriate names for the mashups you have done. keepitup

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:15 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Interesting..."Golden Flowers" is probably the one that works best in my opinion; Undertale's "Once Upon a Time" motif is very versatile and is used throughout the soundtrack with different chord progressions, so I think it lends itself well into a lot of songs. "Genocide" is a good initiative, but sounds a bit sour in some parts. In track 5 at measure 27, try adjusting the notes so that they fit into Megalovania's chord progression while their rhythms and sound still keep to the "Last Battle" feel. I will give you props for having creative, appropriate names for the mashups you have done. keepitup

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to look into that. For now, though, another mashup.

The Skeleton and the Toaster

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:12 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to look into that. For now, though, another mashup.

The Skeleton and the Toaster
The first section of this works quite well; Balrog's instruments are definitely quite a good fit for Nyeh heh heh's lead. The second half (literally measures 8 onwards) is where it starts to become evident that simply overlaying the themes doesn't exactly make them sound good together. Maybe consider having just Balrog's theme there and then afterwards find a way to bring the second section of Nyeh heh heh back into another following section. It depends on how creative you want to get.

Just for the fun of it, I edited your ORG so that the chords are more closer to "Nyeh Heh Heh" while still keeping the Balrog theme instruments. (link) I didn't really use a reference though, so the chords might not be completely accurate.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:56 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Can't get enough Undertale... so when I saw this mod:
The Binding of Undertale

I found an excuse to finally start playing the Binding of Isaac :Rebirth. (And I even bought Afterbirth for more characters... xD)
It's fun... Isaac does seem like a good platform for an action Undertale mod.
Maybe when the modding tools come out later this year, perhaps something like that could be explored...?

EDIT: It seems that Steam updated the Isaac today, and broke all mods that change the file "pocketitems.xml"
So just delete that or rename it for the time being.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2016 at 4:15 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
After playing this.. It's seriously one of if not THE best moment in my gaming history;

I love this game so much, it did everything I wanted to see in a game and way more. I'll be a fan of this for life.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:13 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I haven't really gotten into undertale yet. Been playing too much Skyrim (again)

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:19 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
After playing this.. It's seriously one of if not THE best moment in my gaming history;

I love this game so much, it did everything I wanted to see in a game and way more. I'll be a fan of this for life.
which moment?

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:00 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Welp
Saw the demo a while back and was neat, but holy hell am I glad I was indisposed and incapacitated long enough to avoid getting spoiled before I actually gave it a try.
Damn good stuff I'd say, really blew it out of the water with the last part of the game, took one of the characters that felt the weakest and gave them a whole backstory and everything.
10/10
Here's to hoping Toby knocks out another masterpiece in time.

May 14, 2016 at 9:43 AM
Indie game enthusiast
If you like guitar, check. this. out.
Spoilers btw.

May 14, 2016 at 6:32 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Btw here's a question for everyone... What did you name your character on your first play through?
And how did it color your experience?
Just curious.

I named mine Potato.

Unsurprising it took out a bit of tension in the pacifist ending

May 14, 2016 at 11:41 PM
Indie game enthusiast
I named mine Potato.

Unsurprising it took out a bit of tension in the pacifist ending

Asriel: I know why POTATO climbed the mountain. It wasn't for a very happy reason. Frisk. I'll be honest with you. POTATO hated humanity. Why they did, they never talked about it. But they felt very strongly about that.
(Hint: someone gave him the name potato!)
Actually unintentionally a nice choice because...
Potato and Flowey were the best of buds...

*Chara stabs me*

May 15, 2016 at 3:58 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Potato and Flowey were the best of buds...
Best of buds? Don't you mean best of spuds?
get the joke?
I named my first character Horse because that was the first thing to pop in my head for some reason?