Feb 10, 2021 at 3:46 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
nvm its at c30 in hxd and changed 00 to 02

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:52 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Is there a way I can replace the booster(fall) entity's code with the vanilla code? I swear last time I worked on my mod, he would fall if ANP'd with a value of 10, but working on it 2 months later it no longer animates. I think the entity might be corrupted or something.

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:33 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
This is my fist time modding and I would like to know how to do a few things in Cave Editor
1. How do I change Quote's Sprite ( I can't find it)
2. How do I get a working door transition with a music change
3. How do I do a door and key System
4. How do I change the Title and the intro ________Presents

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:53 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is my fist time modding and I would like to know how to do a few things in Cave Editor
1. How do I change Quote's Sprite ( I can't find it)
2. How do I get a working door transition with a music change
3. How do I do a door and key System
4. How do I change the Title and the intro ________Presents
1. data/MyChar.bmp (make sure to save as 24-bit bitmap to keep the changes without the colors fucking over)
2. You can copy/paste the TSC for the events in the scripts to help give you an idea on how it'll work.
3. You can use <ITJ (ITem Jump) to jump to an event when you have whichever item is necessary. Otherwise, you won't be able to access the next room.
4. Title:
p375242-0-u6g0ty.png
p375242-1-kjsho2.png

Just be sure to modify Title.bmp if you decide to make it full-screen. If you don't wanna touch the config, then you can just modify the bitmap.
p375242-2-wnl2ic.png

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:10 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
1. data/MyChar.bmp (make sure to save as 24-bit bitmap to keep the changes without the colors fucking over)
2. You can copy/paste the TSC for the events in the scripts to help give you an idea on how it'll work.
3. You can use <ITJ (ITem Jump) to jump to an event when you have whichever item is necessary. Otherwise, you won't be able to access the next room.
4. Title:
p375242-0-u6g0ty.png
p375242-1-kjsho2.png

Just be sure to modify Title.bmp if you decide to make it full-screen. If you don't wanna touch the config, then you can just modify the bitmap.
p375242-2-wnl2ic.png
Ok thanks I found a program to edit sprites called pixelformer to change the title and characters, and I will try reusing code for existing doors.

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:34 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
How do you change the backround on the title screen? Don't tell me you can't because I've seen it.

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:45 PM
Based Member
That's done via assembly hacking. There's a specific assembly hack that does that called the Title Screen Hack. It's even built into Booster's Lab. If you go to "Actions" -> "Hacking Tool", then select "titlescreen," and then it will patch the EXE with this hack that lets you have a custom image on the title screen.

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:56 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
That's done via assembly hacking. There's a specific assembly hack that does that called the Title Screen Hack. It's even built into Booster's Lab. If you go to "Actions" -> "Hacking Tool", then select "titlescreen," and then it will patch the EXE with this hack that lets you have a custom image on the title screen.
now what.

--Edit--
@HaydenStudios Ya there? anyone?

Attachments

• Booster's Lab V0.5.1.1  3_8_2021 12_56_39 PM.png
    Booster's Lab V0.5.1.1 3_8_2021 12_56_39 PM.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 7:10 PM
Based Member
Open up "Title.bmp" in the data folder. By default, the game extracts the title screen a framerect in that image with the top-left corner of (0, 0), and a bottom right of (144, 40). You'll probably want to edit "Title.bmp" to have your full image in the top left region of the image, and change the bottom-right X/Y framerect values to 320/240, respectively. The "X Render Position" and "Y Render Position" defines where the title image will be drawn. For your purposes, I'm guessing you'll probably want to change these both to 0.

I'm guessing that the graphics for the "New" and "Load" buttons will need to be placed directly to the right, outside of wherever you set the framerect for the title screen.

Once you've changed those values accordingly, you should be able to patch in the hack by clicking "Commit!"

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:12 PM
Open up "Title.bmp" in the data folder. By default, the game extracts the title screen a framerect in that image with the top-left corner of (0, 0), and a bottom right of (144, 40). You'll probably want to edit "Title.bmp" to have your full image in the top left region of the image, and change the bottom-right X/Y framerect values to 320/240, respectively. The "X Render Position" and "Y Render Position" defines where the title image will be drawn. For your purposes, I'm guessing you'll probably want to change these both to 0.

I'm guessing that the graphics for the "New" and "Load" buttons will need to be placed directly to the right, outside of wherever you set the framerect for the title screen.

Once you've changed those values accordingly, you should be able to patch in the hack by clicking "Commit!"
you still make no sense but ok.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:15 PM
Based Member
What part in particular doesn't make sense? Are you familiar with what framerects are? If this was confusing to you, I can make a picture that illustrates what fields in that Booster's Lab hack relate to what properties of the title screen.

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:05 PM
War criminal
Actually, you can just draw the new ones in the title bitmap itself, especially since the "Don't Draw New/Load" option is there, and there is no setting to assign new framerects for those, anyway. Of course, you can also just have the origin for the title screen framerects be offset more vertically down for the bitmap, and keep the New/Load symbols intact.

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:07 PM
Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:17 PM
Based Member
Okay, let me know if this helps:

Attachments

• Booster's Lab Hackinator.png
    Booster's Lab Hackinator.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 6
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:27 PM
Mar 13, 2021 at 2:56 AM
"Huzzah!"
Mar 13, 2021 at 3:03 AM
"Huzzah!"
So, I'm working on a mod and I'm trying to have a boss fight, but the boss's HP Meter isn't working properly, and when I presumably defeat the boss, it's starts acting very weird.
Please note that this mod is very early in development and some things are subject to change.

looks like you didn't use the right entity event number for the <BSL command - make sure it's the one set to the boss entity.
as for the post-fight stuff, you need to select 'run event on death' for the boss entity and then give that event the corresponding <ANP/<CNP (easiest just to copy-paste from the original game) to display the defeat animation, put in whatever dialogue etc, change the music back and all that stuff

ie. something like this

<KEY
<CNP0400:0012:0000<ANP0400:0020:0004<WAI0140
<MSG
Fought off Boss!<WAI0140<NOD
<CMU0008<END

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:41 PM
How do I get Boosters lab running on a Win Xp setup I'm thinking about switching to it.
The only thing I know about setting it up is that it requires Java but I don't know what version it needs.

Mar 14, 2021 at 4:48 PM
Based Member
Booster's Lab was originally developed when Java 7 was the current version, although I think Noxid may have made a couple of releases after Java 8 was first launched in March 2014 (the last Java release that officially supported Windows XP). I don't know whether or not Noxid ever made any changes to BL after the release of Java 8 that would make it depend on Java 8 or any updates made since the abandon of Windows XP, so I'd recommend a bit of trial-and-error until you find out what works.

If you currently have Java 7 installed, you can first see if that will allow you to open up the .jar and run it and use it normally. If not, you can try installing Java 8. Just know that it was only the first release of Java 8 that officially supports Windows XP. Subsequent updates to Java 8 might cause applications to behave weird on Win XP, but it might also be fine. If there was some Java 8 update that broke Windows XP, then you might have to scavenge the internet for the original Java 8 release, since Oracle doesn't publicly host a comprehensive archive of older versions of Java.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 9:55 PM
Ok thanks I will try Java 7 and 8