Dec 17, 2020 at 4:36 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The amount of maps doesn't affect the TSC scripts you're writing :v

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:46 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Hey how do I play the got item music? When cross referencing the cave story code, I see that the game plays the music with the code "0010" which has no title according to boosterslab and the txt file included, yet the game always seems to play it when opening chests and the like, restoring the music afterwards. Nothing seems to happen in my mod tho, how do I play the iconic jingle in my mod?

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:40 PM
"Huzzah!"
did you include the <WAI afterwards? the script should look something like this: <CMU0010<WAI[i forgot how long]<RMU (resumes previously played track)

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:56 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I Seem to have put <CMU0010 <RMU <WAI[something] in my code instead of
<CMU0010 <WAI <RMU
once again, bug fixing, the detective show where you are the detective, victim and murderer

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:57 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Three birds, one stone...

Firstly: is there a travel range for entities like Last Cave bats or the green things from the Ballos boss or those wall-ignoring attacks of the doctor, or do they just go on forever?

Secondly: in case of hidden, not-so-obvious stuff, what do the sixteen NPC table flags and the sixteen entity flags do?
(As far as I can tell, the "Invulnerable" entity flag does nothing.)

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:59 PM
War criminal
Secondly: in case of hidden, not-so-obvious stuff, what do the sixteen NPC table flags and the sixteen entity flags do?
(As far as I can tell, the "Invulnerable" entity flag does nothing.)
They're both mostly the same thing, really. Difference is however, the ones on the NPC Table affect all entities throughout the game, and the ones in the Entity Map Editor only affect them on an individual basis.

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:49 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Is there a hack that allows you to hurt Balfrog while his mouth is closed?

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:35 PM
Based Member
That's oddly specific. I'm sure you can make some simple change to do that, but I'm not aware of any pre-made hack that someone has put together that specifically makes Balfrog vulnerable while his mouth is closed.

Jan 2, 2021 at 7:14 PM
I am respriting Balfrog, but with the room that I have it just hops constantly towards the right side of the room, until the player is cornered and gets 1-hit killed.

Also, is there a way to change Balfrog so that he only does 1 damage when you touch him?

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:45 AM
Based Member
I can't tell you specifically what you'd change, but I might be able to give you some pointers. 0x0079030 is the offset for the Balfrog AI. And the function for doing damage to the player is this, taken from the assembly compendium (except for correcting Noxid's spelling):
Code:
push damage
call 00419910 ; this will also hurt your exp, not separate functions.
add esp,4

That's where I would start with trying to figure out how to change that and other properties for Balfrog.

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:44 PM
Thanks, I guess I just use a different call? I don't know much about ASM.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:12 AM
Based Member
Well not exactly. You'd want to look in the Balfrog AI code and see if you can find it calling that damage function, and change the amount of damage being done (AKA the number that gets pushed onto the stack before it calls the function) to 1. Some amount of knowledge of how to use Ollydbg will be needed to do this.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:33 PM
Well not exactly. You'd want to look in the Balfrog AI code and see if you can find it calling that damage function, and change the amount of damage being done (AKA the number that gets pushed onto the stack before it calls the function) to 1. Some amount of knowledge of how to use Ollydbg will be needed to do this.
I've only used OllyDbg to change framerects, so I do have good experience with it.

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:46 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
(I'm on mobile so hopefully this is worded right and helps)

2 problems:
1st problem: It wouldn't be the damage function actually. NPCs don't continually check player collision and then run that function from what I've seen. Instead it just has a variable of how much damage should be dealt on contact (this is in the NPC table, so ALL npcs have one). There's seperate generalized functions that check collisions for the NPCs and will calculate that etc.
This variable is expressed as "E?X+A4" in the NPC's code. You'd be changing the constant in an instruction that goes something like

MOV DWORD --?-- [E?X+A4],###

where ### is the damage.

2nd Problem: Balfrog (as is most mapbosses) is actually composed of seperate sub-entities with different hitboxes. iirc there's two that both deal damage.
You can find the offsets towards the end of this sheet. (This link is also pinned in CSMC's #resources.)
Looks like Balfrog has 3 entities (one of them being the main one that Hayden gave you the offset for). And your gonna change any E?X+A4 constants you happen to find like I mentioned earlier. That should do it!

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:14 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Some maps have no background in-game, despite the map properties being set.
(And in one case, at least one map that did have a background in-game, suddenly stopped having it.)

Is there any way to fix this, and if so, how?

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:32 PM
War criminal
Some maps have no background in-game, despite the map properties being set.
(And in one case, at least one map that did have a background in-game, suddenly stopped having it.)

Is there any way to fix this, and if so, how?
Depends on these two factors.
1. Is the background type set to "Hide"?
2. Are you using Cave Editor and are making maps past room 94?

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:49 PM
Only three maps using the Water Level entity are set to "3 - hide". (Though the water doesn't show up on one map, despite showing up on the other.)

Yeah, I'm using CE (with maps numbered to 099).
I'd use Booster's Lab 0.4.5.0 but I can't place entities in that (I'm guessing that's an issue on my end that can't currently be fixed, due to circumstances) so... kinda stuck with CE here. :/

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:00 PM
War criminal
In v450 and above, you need to press the "i" key, cuz double clicking really resulted in quite the number of bugs. I do suggest using BL v500 since that's the most stable version (and v511 really has some issues that have been reported to Noxid and Leo and not a single fix was made).

Jan 6, 2021 at 6:28 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'd use Booster's Lab 0.4.5.0 but I can't place entities in that (I'm guessing that's an issue on my end that can't currently be fixed, due to circumstances) so... kinda stuck with CE here. :/
Try either doubleclick lmb or the i key.

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:31 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
my friend wanted me to convert his freeware save to cs+ but its in normal mode and he wants it in easy mode
how would i change it