Apr 13, 2020 at 10:20 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
maybe this doesn't matter, but put the <BOAXXXX like this: <BOA0010<BOA0100<BSL0000
I've tried but the issue still persists, thanks for trying though. I think the problem might be in the entity set, so if somebody could tell where Balfrog's entity set (so I can edit it), I'd appreciate it.

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:39 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've tried but the issue still persists, thanks for trying though. I think the problem might be in the entity set, so if somebody could tell where Balfrog's entity set (so I can edit it), I'd appreciate it.
Balfrog isn't exactly an entity... Like all Special Bosses, all attributes to him are hardcoded in the assembly. His address is at 0x479030.

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:59 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Balfrog isn't exactly an entity... Like all Special Bosses, all attributes to him are hardcoded in the assembly. His address is at 0x479030.
do you have the entity set as interactable?
So it turns out that Balfrog itself doesn't have an entity set, yet there's an entity set associated with this boss... Do I have this correct? Because if there is an entity set, I need to find it and make it interactable so I can finally make Balfrog damagable.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:24 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It wouldn't make much sense to change the asm just to unset interactible if the boss works properly in vanilla.
I also don't really know much about the special bosses (what a surprise) but if youre changing a regular entity into the boss then make sure that entity is not interactible.

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:54 PM
It wouldn't make much sense to change the asm just to unset interactible if the boss works properly in vanilla.
I also don't really know much about the special bosses (what a surprise) but if youre changing a regular entity into the boss then make sure that entity is not interactible.
As I've said, Balfrog works normally except that none of my attacks damage it. I even demonstrated this problem with this GIF:
diadog3-damage-glitch-gif.6625

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:10 PM
"Huzzah!"
Balfrog has an entity set? That's news to me. Considering I've only just learnt about it, no I don't have it set to Interactable.

...i meant 'do you have the entity set AS interactable', apologies for poor wording

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 10.04.06 pm.png

just mentioned it because i had a similar issue where a boss suddenly wasn't taking damage and i realised it was because i'd set it to interactable, planning to have the player able to talk to it after the fight was over. however, i haven't had to use a special map boss yet, so i don't know anything about them, so this might not be your issue

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:26 PM
...i meant 'do you have the entity set AS interactable', apologies for poor wording

View attachment 6626

just mentioned it because i had a similar issue where a boss suddenly wasn't taking damage and i realised it was because i'd set it to interactable, planning to have the player able to talk to it after the fight was over. however, i haven't had to use a special map boss yet, so i don't know anything about them, so this might not be your issue

Right, so if you can't a special map boss's entity set, then the issue lies elsewhere. Perhaps it's a scripting issue?

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:03 PM
"Huzzah!"
I think so, Cave Story uses this script to start the boss: <BOA0020<WAI0100<BOA0010<MSGGeghrooakk<NOD<BOA0100<BSL0000 (of course I cut out the DNP and stuff since Barlog isnt the boss) so perhaps what you're doing wrong order, otherwise I'm not going to be of any help (it could also be that <BOA0100 needs time to function so you should use a message, but I highly doubt it)

Apr 13, 2020 at 8:13 PM
"Huzzah!"
no, those are the animation numbers, <BOAXXXX is used to animate the boss in the Major Boss tab (well at least on CE)

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:38 AM
So if this Balfrog problem is purely a scripting issue, is there any way I can rewrite the script to make it function properly?

Apr 17, 2020 at 7:09 PM
"Huzzah!"
using the original script as reference wouldn't be a bad idea, I said previously this might work: <BOA0020<WAI0100<BOA0010<MSGGeghrooakk<NOD<BOA0100<BSL0000 since these are the <BOA that Pixel used, I can't help in any other way sad, try the script out, see if it works.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:13 PM
I've been looking to the original Frog script (though I'm having trouble knowing which bits are for the boss and whichs bits are for the pre-boss cutscene) and have updated it, even adding an entity with Event #0200. Yet the problem still persists.
Script for reference:
p372963-0-nwfmvmq.png

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:50 PM
"Huzzah!"
how do you get Monster X to exist again?

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:58 AM
War criminal
1. Go to MapData for the room you're working on and set the Special Boss to Monster X, and use NpcX.bmp for the NPC Set 2 option.
gmzxaq.png

2. You don't have to do anything else, other than look at the scripts on how to start the boss battle with him, Monster X isn't affected by gravity, so he can come from out of nowhere if you have a smaller map. If you want the battle to be more immediate with his presence being there right away, make a room that is at least 180 tiles wide.
osid03.png

3. Monster X generally spawns in this area, as marked through this modified Labyrinth map (it's 180 tiles wide), so go nuts if you wanna make the room feel visually smaller than it really is. If you're daring, you can even place an <FON on a null entity and have the room only focus on the area (this is probably more recommended if you're working on a widescreen mod, now that I think of it, oops). Just don't forget to do <FOM0016 once either the battle is over or you <TRA to another room.
1xrbvc.png

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:48 AM
"Huzzah!"
1. Go to MapData for the room you're working on and set the Special Boss to Monster X, and use NpcX.bmp for the NPC Set 2 option.
gmzxaq.png

2. You don't have to do anything else, other than look at the scripts on how to start the boss battle with him, Monster X isn't affected by gravity, so he can come from out of nowhere if you have a smaller map. If you want the battle to be more immediate with his presence being there right away, make a room that is at least 180 tiles wide.
osid03.png

3. Monster X generally spawns in this area, as marked through this modified Labyrinth map (it's 180 tiles wide), so go nuts if you wanna make the room feel visually smaller than it really is. If you're daring, you can even place an <FON on a null entity and have the room only focus on the area (this is probably more recommended if you're working on a widescreen mod, now that I think of it, oops). Just don't forget to do <FOM0016 once either the battle is over or you <TRA to another room.
1xrbvc.png
I actually did that myself and was able to do all of that, but he still didn't come alive, I tried going through the the labyrinth for some FL+ that might work but nothing happened, is that normal? If so I just need to know what flag or whatever it is (yes, I tried saying "open salami" dont ask me), but the widescreen thing was a good tip, thanks.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:41 AM
War criminal
I actually did that myself and was able to do all of that, but he still didn't come alive, I tried going through the the labyrinth for some FL+ that might work but nothing happened, is that normal? If so I just need to know what flag or whatever it is (yes, I tried saying "open salami" dont ask me), but the widescreen thing was a good tip, thanks.
I... am not actually too sure. I did suggest looking at the original TSC events for the boss.
Code:
<DNP0301<BOA0001<FL-0680<END
<DNP0302<CMU0007<BOA0010<CNP0300:0013:0000<BSL0000<END
I think you just need to use the script from Event 0302, barring the <CNP0300 part, that just turns some null entities into force fields. (This was tested via the Randomizer, since that's the only way you can enter the Labyrinth from the other direction and fight Monster X.)

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:56 AM
"Huzzah!"
huh, it worked, I'm very thankful

May 15, 2020 at 9:30 PM
"Huzzah!"
what the hell is a pxa file

May 15, 2020 at 10:31 PM
War criminal
what the hell is a pxa file
You know in Booster's Lab, you right click on a tile and it lets you choose what kind of tile it is? .pxa files are basically memory files for the game to properly read what kind of tiles they are in the Prt bitmaps.