Oct 20, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Life keeps going, but my temper doesn't.
"..."
Samario said:
How do I add a timer similar to most Metroid escape timers / WTF Story's Carnival events timer? (when it gets to 0, a script happens).

(Well, is it possible? I don't mind hijacking the Nikumaru/290 Counter display.)

EDIT:
(if possible, adding a <TINXXXX (TImer oN) and <TIOXXXX (TImer Off).)

That ovbiously needs ASM. If you know what that is, great, go ask GiRakaCheezer for it. He might let you use it.

If you don't know what's ASM then I won't tell you.

I'm fat.

YES MASTERSWORD321, IT IS ENTIRELY RELEVENT

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:35 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I tried to create a flat surface on my Grasstown modified map, but for some reason, the ground in front of the house I created is bumpy and Quote sort of "sinks" into the ground. After the house, he can walk smoothly, with no sinking involved.

modissue-grasstown_zps39e1780b.png

I also tried to program an Orangebell into my map. I tried copying off the programming of the enemies in the Plantation. When I apply this code to my map, however, the enemies are invisible and the only time you can see them is when Quote gets hit or inflicts damage on them. Sometimes, they also appear as floating Grasstown tiles. The enemies in the Plantation didn't seem to be called upon an event though, and they work fine, so how come my scripted enemy using an identical code doesn't work at all? (I'm also using the same NPC tileset as the Plantation.)

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:51 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
xavier2918 said:
Hello! I'm having problems with Noxid's 3 Save File hack. When I applied it to my executable, everything was fine, except that whenever I moved the arrow, the arrow duplicated itself in two, one where it just was and one where I moved to. I can still choose the different save files, but the arrow is all messed up. Help?
Pic:
p200791-0-4687676orig.jpg
You need something other then a null bk behind it to cover up the "old" arrows.

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Fatih120 said:
That ovbiously needs ASM. If you know what that is, great, go ask GiRakaCheezer for it. He might let you use it.

If you don't know what's ASM then I won't tell you.

I'm fat.

YES MASTERSWORD321, IT IS ENTIRELY RELEVENT
Yes, I do know what ASM is (can't do much WITH it, though...). And isn't Giraka gone or something?

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Samario said:
Yes, I do know what ASM is (can't do much WITH it, though...). And isn't Giraka gone or something?
Yeah he left forever after everyone kept asking the same modding questions over and over. That or it was when people kept asking about assembly without even trying to learn it for themselves first.

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Yeah he left forever after everyone kept asking the same modding questions over and over. That or it was when people kept asking about assembly without even trying to learn it for themselves first.
Were you referring to me or other people?

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Samario said:
Were you referring to me or other people?
Probably both.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Random-storykeeper said:
I tried to create a flat surface on my Grasstown modified map, but for some reason, the ground in front of the house I created is bumpy and Quote sort of "sinks" into the ground. After the house, he can walk smoothly, with no sinking involved.

modissue-grasstown_zps39e1780b.png

I also tried to program an Orangebell into my map. I tried copying off the programming of the enemies in the Plantation. When I apply this code to my map, however, the enemies are invisible and the only time you can see them is when Quote gets hit or inflicts damage on them. Sometimes, they also appear as floating Grasstown tiles. The enemies in the Plantation didn't seem to be called upon an event though, and they work fine, so how come my scripted enemy using an identical code doesn't work at all? (I'm also using the same NPC tileset as the Plantation.)
for 1, you probably ought to turn on "show tile types" in your preferred editor
for 2, you need to have the npc sheet in the right slot which for npcCent is slot 2 iirc

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The tiles work fine now but the enemies are still invisible. I put Cent in both NPC tilesets (is that what you mean?) and nothing seems to have changed. I also tried putting the Cent in one tileset each and that doesn't work either.

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I'm trying to make it so that by activating an item, you transport to another map. I've tried quite a few times to get it to work, but the item menu doesn't want to be cooperative. Whenever I try it, it won't fade out until you've exited the item screen. Even then, it won't transport the character anywhere and it's stuck faded out.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:58 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Tpcool said:
I'm trying to make it so that by activating an item, you transport to another map. I've tried quite a few times to get it to work, but the item menu doesn't want to be cooperative. Whenever I try it, it won't fade out until you've exited the item screen. Even then, it won't transport the character anywhere and it's stuck faded out.
I heard somewhere that trying to use a <TRA within the item TSC file will mess it up. If I can remember that old post correctly, when you open up the item menu, it will store the currently used map script and replace it with the item one, and once you leave the item menu, it will load the map script you were using before, regardless if you changed maps in the menu...

In more basic terms, say that you were going to travel from map A to map B using items.
1. You open the inventory, and map A's script is put on hold.
2. Within the arms.tsc script, you TRA to map B, which loads a bunch of stuff.
3. When you exit the item menu, it removes the arms.tsc script but reloads what you had before: map A
Result: you are in map B but with all the events replaced with those of map A, similar to save glitching on Cave Story 3D.

And it's probably not fading out until you exit the menu because the menu freezes the game.

Of course, I haven't tested any of this so this post may be a bunch of bull and someone better at this could correct me, but to my information, it's not possible without some kind of work-around or ASM.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Well... I don't know if any of the rest of your post is wrong, but I can tell you that there should be a workaround. I know for a fact that you can <MOV with the items menu. So, you could make a small area with just two solid blocks and an HV trigger arranged like this:
Code:
[]
HV
[]
Then, you could have the item <MOV you to the HV trigger, which runs the <TRA event you want. All this after fading out, of course, so the player can't tell.
It's a bit of work, but as far as I can tell it should work.

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Dunc2403 said:
Well... I don't know if any of the rest of your post is wrong, but I can tell you that there should be a workaround. I know for a fact that you can <MOV with the items menu. So, you could make a small area with just two solid blocks and an HV trigger arranged like this:
Code:
[]
HV
[]
Then, you could have the item <MOV you to the HV trigger, which runs the <TRA event you want. All this after fading out, of course, so the player can't tell.

Not sure graphically how everything would work (like how he was saying that the Fadeout was after leaving the menu, not within the menu.), but in all other aspects that should be able to function...

...It would just take work to add it to every single map (or every map that he wants the item to be able to transport from.) AND, if you consider that he wants multiple maps to allows this, then there would be checking the <MOV's so that it all leads to that trigger, or if he needs to use different coordinates per map, then having ways to go through that with flags...

Basically, yes, that workaround is probably the best way, Non-ASM that is, to accomplish his wants; However, it could lead to a staggering amount of work depending on how many maps need to have this setup.

~ This is the time where we thank Pixel for his incredibly open framework for retro-platforming shooters. ~

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Based Member
Does anyone know what the boundaries are of an item in ItemImage.bmp?

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
48x32

e: or uh, probably half that

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Based Member
Thanks! Also, considering that I'm working with Cave Story+, your answer is completely accurate.

EDIT (2 days later): Actually, after realizing that didn't work, I saw that it's 64x32.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Dunc2403 said:
EnlightenedOne said:
yes, that workaround is probably the best way, Non-ASM that is, to accomplish his wants
Thanks, both of you. Dunc's method actually works fine with the way I have my maps set up, and I don't have to do too much editing to get it set up correctly. It is a bit odd that the item doesn't activate until you exit the inventory screen, but there isn't any easy way around that.