Oct 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Fatih120 said:
Basically you can change certain values.
Lemme show you them 1 by 1.

Damage ~ Do i have to explain?
# Of hits ~ I guess it is how many things the bullets can hit enemies before vanishing. If I'm wrong please correct me.
Range ~ How far/how long the bullet lasts when shot
Size ~ I never use this, but I guess it is the bullet's hitbox.
Wall collisions ~ I don't know what this is but I know it has to do with walls.
Energy required to lvl up ~ You know.

Now the stuff on the side messes with certain aspects of the bullet. I dunno anything about those flags (since i dont use em) but you can change whether you can break or pierce blocks.

So at the bottom you can change which level/gun you wanna edit. Hope I helped.
Sorry if I sound particular, but the things you talked about were the obvious which I know. The things which you didn't seem to fully understand are the very things I don't understand.

And here are a few more questions I got:

What are the 'Option 1' and 'Option 2' flags for entities?

Is there any way to change the dimensions of a new map after it's made? (Not possible with Cave Editor, and I'm guessing some hex editing will do it)

That's it for now.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
IdioticBaka1824 said:
Sorry if I sound particular, but the things you talked about were the obvious which I know. The things which you didn't seem to fully understand are the very things I don't understand.

And here are a few more questions I got:

What are the 'Option 1' and 'Option 2' flags for entities?

Is there any way to change the dimensions of a new map after it's made? (Not possible with Cave Editor, and I'm guessing some hex editing will do it)

That's it for now.
#1: Option 1: I'm not sure, really...
Option 2: Alternate flag (changes H/V trigger dir, turns on monitors etc.)

#2 Look in "Properties". You can change the map size there.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Can someone please tell me where the code for one of the "teleport out" and one of the "teleport in" animations/Script States/whatever for any of the NPCs is located in the .exe? If you could give me the addresses of where one of each of these codes begin and end, I would really appreciate it. I'm trying to add custom <TPO (TelePort Out) and <TPI (TelePort In) TSC commands so that I can apply this kind of animation to any NPC, not just the ones that already have this particular animation. I need these codes for reference, but I don't know where they're located. Thanks in advance!

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Samario said:
#1: Option 1: I'm not sure, really...
Option 2: Alternate flag (changes H/V trigger dir, turns on monitors etc.)

#2 Look in "Properties". You can change the map size there.
Thanks. But, the problem is once I make a new map with a certain size, I can't change the size afterwards because the Map Properties editor doesn't let me, it just shows the size number boxes as blanks. Sorry.
And I was kind of wondering if the map files in \data\stage have headers for the properties of the map, which you could hex edit.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
1. do it in properties in the main editor, not the map editor
2. properties of map(?)

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM
I meant, the pxm map files might store the map properties as hex data (or not), so I was asking.
And here's my problem:
2013-10-25_205152.png

And here are a few more questions:
Is there any easy way of making custom drowning sprites, or do you have to do it the hard way of choosing all the right grayish-blue shades to look right?
When I put a certain background in a new map, it shows up fine in Cave Editor's Map Editor. But when I go to the map in the game, the background is black. How come?
What does 'wall collisions' exactly mean?

Thanks in advance!

(Maybe someone should answer Mr.TurboCharge first.)

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Professional Whatever
1. Maybe I was mixed up, try changing it in the map editor and not the main editor and see what happens because I know one of them is always like that
2. The drown sprite is in caret.pbm I think, just replace the sprite with whatever you want
3. Don't add maps because that corrupts the background, copy existing maps instead
4. It means colliding with a wall
As in
When you collide
With a wall

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Over here:
2013-10-26_034514.png
What exactly does that 'wall collisions' mean? And while you're at it, could you please explain about the cryptic flags on the right?
And about the drowning sprite, I meant that if you are making a custom main character, then you would also have to edit it so that it looks bluish. Is there any easy way to just copy it from MyChar.pbm and adjust the colors or do you have to redraw the whole thing?
Thanks about the map, it works from the Map Editor.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
IdioticBaka1824 said:
Is there any easy way to just copy it from MyChar.pbm and adjust the colors or do you have to redraw the whole thing?
1. Find adequate image tool.
2. Copy from MyChar.pbm.
3. Paste to Caret.pbm (or whatever image file has the default drowned Quote).

Is there something I'm missing in your question?

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:09 AM
Okay, I got it. You can adjust the colors in Faststone Capture and convert any custom MyChar character to the drowning equivalent.
Thanks anyway.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hey there, fellas. I have been making a new mod for Cave Story, and that is Corpse Party mod. Right now it's only music-graphics-decision making process, though.
I could use some ideas and suggestions, for instance, how should I do the entire gameplay aspect of the mod? Should it have platforming in it, and how should I do the Heavenly Host elementary school in 2d?
Do I use the already established characters, or should I create my own?

Here's my current thoughs about this:
You obviously won't have any weapons at all throughout the entire game. Most of the deaths are long, drawn-out cutscenes that are titled "Wrong Ends" instead of straight up Game Over, and it will be mostly an RPG-Maker exploration game done 2d.
I'm confused whether I should make the school linear with classes and staircases to next floor or if there will be hallways you can walk into by pressing up/down.
There won't be any real enemies other than those that chase after you (how 2 do pls) and red spirits that do bad stuff if you talk to them wrong.
I suppose I can add a little bit of platforming, but the player will weight much more than quote, so jumping is very precise and scary. Maybe something in the lines of Castlevania.
I don't know what characters to use, really. I wonder if I should just remake Corpse Party -Rebuilt- in Cave Story or make up my own story.
I wish I knew how could I have more than two quote skins, so you could play as 3+ characters in certain points of the story.

I will accept any help you are willing to give to get this project started, and especially the ASM stuff. I'm not that good at drawing anime, so facepic and full portraits will help me a great deal.

Edit: Oh, also, can you guys give me links to 2x and more drums CS hacks? That'd be much appreciated.

Edit by DT: Merge'd into this thread because these aren't supposed to happen anymore

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:11 AM
"Huzzah!"
Crystalwarrior: Edit: Oh, also, can you guys give me links to 2x and more drums CS hacks? That'd be much appreciated.
You won't get the 2x. There's some reason about Pixel, legal stuff, and Cave Story Plus.
Might get the drums.(It's on here somewhere... try noxid's open source hacks.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway I want to make Igor's graphics to always read from "NpcRavil.png".
Is this too complicated to do? :confused:

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Eh, why is Noxid's Crystal Cave and WTFStory using 2x graphics then?
I don't want the actual graphics, I just want the hack that allows for 2x graphics.

Edit: Bleh, I've actually looked a bit into the 2x hack history, and it appears it does some serious batshit crazy stuff to your .exe, like inability to use certain bosses and compability issues.
Although I seriously don't belive a simple 2x res hack would be legally sued. I just don't see a valid reason for that.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Based Member
Crystalwarrior said:
Eh, why is Noxid's Crystal Cave and WTFStory using 2x graphics then?
I don't want the actual graphics, I just want the hack that allows for 2x graphics.
Noxid and GIRakaCHEEZER collaboratively made that famous hack. I'm afraid that they don't share it with just anyone.

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, it's honestly a bummer. I suppose I can live with normal resolution graphics, though.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:41 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
HaydenStudios said:
Noxid and GIRakaCHEEZER collaboratively made that famous hack. I'm afraid that they don't share it with just anyone.
"Just anyone" as in mods without enough new graphics or content.

I think Door's summed up up well in this post how to get the 2x.

Basically your mod must have very little from CS and you just want to use CS as a base for your game.

Huh, if you wanted to do that, you might as well make one using game maker...

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hum, here's a quick question.
How do I make Cave Story use a different font other than Courier New? DoConfig doesn't let me pick any other fonts at all.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Professional Whatever
Using a hex editor you can change the font and text shown in doconfig. Just search for "courier new" in the doconfig.exe and replace it with your desired font. You'll have to open doconfig once to overwrite config.dat with the proper font.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
MagicDoors said:
Using a hex editor you can change the font and text shown in doconfig. Just search for "courier new" in the doconfig.exe and replace it with your desired font. You'll have to open doconfig once to overwrite config.dat with the proper font.
Thanks!
It was really simple to do, heh.
Although I wonder if it's even possible to anti-alias the font.