Nov 15, 2010 at 3:18 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Sprites are linked to either one spritesheet slot or the other. For example, NpcCent goes in slot 2 while NpcWeed goes in slot one. This can be changed in CE's NPC.tbl editor.

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:27 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Okay, I get it now. (NpcCent actually happened to be one I was using)
Thanks for the help.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:48 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
What language is Cave Story in, and what do I learn in order to do some hardcore modding?

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:06 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Is there another resource hacker I can use? When I use the current one, some of my songs are saved, but when I play the song in the game file, they play the original song. I check on it, and it is the same song as before in the resource hacker as well.

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:29 AM
Hey.
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Is there another resource hacker I can use? When I use the current one, some of my songs are saved, but when I play the song in the game file, they play the original song. I check on it, and it is the same song as before in the resource hacker as well.

I think I can answer that question.

If I'm right, you need to copy and paste the exe when you put the song in. When you copy it, what I do is paste a copy of the exe, delete the one I copied and renamed the "Copy of ___" to the original name.

I'm not sure of this works, but something similar happened to me, and I did that.

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:24 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
What language is Cave Story in, and what do I learn in order to do some hardcore modding?

Cave Story was programmed in C++, but modding it has nothing to do with C++, since we don't have the source code. Cave Story scripts are written in TSC, which you DO need to know for modding. I recommend looking at either Noxid's or DragonBoots's modding beginner's guide.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:21 PM
Been here way too long...
"hardcore" modding would be in x86 assembly.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:59 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Lace said:
"hardcore" modding would be in binary with a magnetized needle.

"fix'd", as they say on certain parts of the internet.

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:42 PM
:rolleyes:
I still find that comic funny, even though I have no idea what emacs is. :(

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I would like some help please.
I'd like to make it so when I fire my gun, it chooses a random framerect and stays with that rect. I'm using the random number generator, and right now it flashes a random rect constantly.
Is it possible to do what I want?

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:36 AM
Interesting.
The problem you're having is that the rects are declared every step. By placing the random number generator inside the rect-declarer, you're change the framerects every step. The best way I can see to do what you want to do is something like this:

Code:
if (bool == false) {
bool = true
constA1 = ...
constA2 = ...
}
rectA1 = constA1
rectA2 = constA2
and of course the bool and the consts would all need to be variables that don't change, so your [[ebp+8]+x] vars, not the [ebp-x] vars that rects are generally stored in.

You dig?

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:07 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
E. Laimo said:
No, I'm sorry. I don't entirely understand. :/

What Lace is trying to tell you is that the 'bullet' is constantly running and re-running its own code anytime the bullet is on the screen. So, your RNG keeps generating new numbers and that's why your rects continously change.

The [[ebp+8]+x] vars are the permanent variables that store information about the weapon/bullet. They are the members of the weapon object. You should store the results of the random-number-generator into those variables, and also keep a sort of flag to make sure new ones don't get generated and stored into the rects. You would use [E_X+??], where E_X = EAX,ECX, or EDX. Now you can keep the rects the same whenever you don't fire the gun, and also choose to change them when you fire it.

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:11 AM
I don't anymore.
How would you make a gun break the oldest bullet fired, and create a new one when the player fires the gun if the max number of bullets is fired?
I'm working with an edited fire ball, and wan't to make it so if you've fired all your bullets, then you can fire more, at the cost of the first ones fired. This is only because each bullet lasts a while, and it would be a pain it you miss all your shots and have to wait for them to die. I'm kinda noobish at this, so some detailed answers would be appreciated.
"Yes, I know about the involvment of assembly, that's how I got this far"

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:38 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Okay, I've got it working perfectly now. Thanks for your help you guys!

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:35 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
How would you make a gun break the oldest bullet fired, and create a new one when the player fires the gun if the max number of bullets is fired?
I'm working with an edited fire ball, and wan't to make it so if you've fired all your bullets, then you can fire more, at the cost of the first ones fired. This is only because each bullet lasts a while, and it would be a pain it you miss all your shots and have to wait for them to die. I'm kinda noobish at this, so some detailed answers would be appreciated.
"Yes, I know about the involvment of assembly, that's how I got this far"

Hmm....
This might be a bit above my skill level, but there is a viable way to make shots self-destruct, allowing the creation of new shots. You simply program the shots to check whether the limit on screen is reached, whether the correct weapon is selected, and if the fire key is pressed. The only problem with this is that ALL the shots will self destruct, and no new shot will be spawned at the first key press.

Well, there's probably some way to do it....
(I'll think about it)

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:49 AM
I don't anymore.
Landonpeanut said:
Hmm....
This might be a bit above my skill level, but there is a viable way to make shots self-destruct, allowing the creation of new shots. You simply program the shots to check whether the limit on screen is reached, whether the correct weapon is selected, and if the fire key is pressed. The only problem with this is that ALL the shots will self destruct, and no new shot will be spawned at the first key press.

Well, there's probably some way to do it....
(I'll think about it)

Alright, maybe I'll see if I can make the bullets travel faster, and the time of each bullet shorter.

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:47 PM
Hey.
I was wondering, how do you make new tilesets?

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM
I don't anymore.
Ollie said:
I was wondering, how do you make new tilesets?

Assuming you're using cave editor, go to the actual game files and copy one of the current ones, then rename it, and it will be a copy of the same sheet. Then you can edit it as you please.

Data>Stage>any file that begins with "prt"