Dec 2, 2010 at 1:02 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I guess I knew a little less about TSC than I thought....But now I know more. :J

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:45 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I don't think I need to use this info for a while, but how would you make background type 0, "fixed" be infront of the player tiles, and bkwater, "don't know if it's the image or # that determins function" do 127 damage. The fixed background thing is for a dark area with a circle of light surrounding the player F.Y.I.
I don't believe the background offsets are anywhere in the forums, so I really can't figure it out my self. :p

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:14 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I really have no idea whatsoever what you are trying to say >_>

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:34 AM
I don't anymore.
Let's try it this way.

Water affect from Core battle: Instant death upon touching it, but still moves up and down.

Fixed camera: The actual background image is instead in front of the entities and tiles. The only thing that can lie in front of it is the health/weapon display. It essentialy becomes foreground instead of background that follows the character around. This is hard to explain but, the entire selected background image is black except for an area in the center, which is blank. That area looks like a spot of light in a dark room through the players eyes.

Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCyA7OR1XMs
"skip to 40 seconds"

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:55 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well as for the 'background' thing, I think I would call it a mask effect. Anyway, you'd have to do a complete custom render insertion somewhere between the render for Effect Objects and that for Hp bar stuff. As for the rising water killing you instantly, I'm not entirely sure how that stuff works as i've never messed with it before, but I imagine there's probably a function somewhere that handles whether the player is below water depth since it's not tile-based.

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:00 AM
I don't anymore.
Well, if anyone can find the offsets, then maybe I'll actually contribute info. I don't even kknow where to begin in finding those offsets.

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:10 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
http://tile44.org/~noxid/FunctionlistNox.txt

For the mask, the call to it's got to go somewhere in 410400 - That's the main loop that gets run every frame. I'd recommend shortly after it calls 40ABC0, since that's the call to draw all Effect Objects, but you might want to double-check that.

The water level stuff might be right in 41A350 - Underwater Timer. That's a good place to look, at least. Search for [499C90] as that's the global water depth.

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:03 AM
I don't anymore.
I managed to get to this point with the water thing

4028F1 MOV EAX,DWORD PTR DS:[499C90]

I believe this may be the point where you are put under water. If so, how would I add the script that adds damage to the character?
Mind you that from my perspective, this is all gibberish.

EDIT:
Looking at the info on the mask thing hasn't been all that succesful, but I noticed that it has a lot of CALLs used right after another starting at 410555 that are all listed as (?) in the functions list you provided. I guess that if anyone wants to figure it out, now would be a good time.

Also have seen alot of this command: PUSH 48F91C Yet 48F91C is not in the list either, which means that this task is no longer simple, "at least to me"

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:11 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Sorry to bust into the conversation here, but I have a slight problem when making my mod. You know how you can choose two NPC Tilesets for a map? Well, how do you make it so that you can use the second NPC tileset?

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The npc's themselves use either the first or the second sprite sheet. You get to choose in the npc.tbl

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM
Been here way too long...
hymynameismatt, could you give us some context for those movs and pushes?

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:24 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't even need to check my reference to know that 48F91C is the Screen Rect {0,0,320,240}. That list is just functions, while 48F91C is a RAM value which has information about them in the Assembly Compendium. That's pretty near always pushed when you call 40C3C0, the blit function, which tells basically the size of the area to blit onto (all of it)

See, what you want to do is add a branch in the code that goes somewhere new, does something, and then goes back without disrupting any functionality that was originally there. 48B900 is the end of the executable and all those 00s can be safely replaced if you should ever want extra space. Otherwise, you'd have to replace an NPC or Boss.

As for the unknown calls, I was filling out the list for a while but it got to be taking too much time away from my modding.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:16 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Whenever I set the computer entity (20), it comes up with a blank computer. How do I make this computer glow blue?

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I believe it needs to have direction set to nonzero (option 2 flag, or <ANP)

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:44 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How do you edit sprite properties? Because I want to give (say for e.g.) a sprite the grab property like Balrog has, but I just can't seem to find anything that can help me do it. If someone could create a ROM map of the sort, I could work with that, but I'd really prefer some guidance from you guys.

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Is there a way to hex edit these properties with transhextion?

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
They're not properties, it's x86 compiled code. An entity doesn't have any property beyond what you can edit in npc.tbl with Cave Editor, the rest of it is all hard-coded meaning each seperate entity has its own isolated function.

Technically you could modify it with a hex editor but that's just silly, use a debugger like Ollydbg

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:21 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
I believe this may be the point where you are put under water. If so, how would I add the script that adds damage to the character?
Since it's triggered by water, why don't you instead add something to instantly set the oxygen counter to 0?

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:32 AM
I don't anymore.
Celtic Minstrel said:
Since it's triggered by water, why don't you instead add something to instantly set the oxygen counter to 0?

Because I want the exploding death. Also, if your damaged and fall in, it won't kill you instantly because of the temporary imunity, so you would still walk aroung for a second with the water physics.

If anyone wants to know. it's for a boss fight. When you beat one of his phases, he disapears and a way to climb up is revealed, meanwhile the "water" begins rising.