Aug 20, 2017 at 11:21 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Make sure the new spritesheets are in the name format NpcLoremIspum.bmp with LoremIpsum being any word, really, and to have those in the Npc folder.

For this one, this is easy! Both Sand Zone and Labyrinth npcs are set to read off of Npc set 1, so all you have to do is to open up the npc.tbl file in Booster's Lab and make it so the entities seen in the NpcMaze bitmap are set to load off of Npc Set 2. And then you'll be able to use both Sand Zone and Labyrinth enemies in the same map!
question:
i got boosters lab working somehow!
all this stuff is insanely cool, i'm being overwhelmed with new features
I like it but at the same time so many awesome stuff is making me go CRAZY! I WANT TO USE IT ALL!

just wondering if i put a sandzone monster as npc set 2 does that mean i can't use it for any other thing?
or do i just always need to put it as set 2?

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:23 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah, you'll need to keep using it for NPC set 2 for every map, if you do that.

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:01 PM
So I've been trying to make my own random little boss
It's just a gaudi egg (those things that don't move, don't do any damage and you can walk through them. They are basically those white balls that give xp)
What i did is with boosters lab i went into that npc.tbl thing and i made it so all gaudi eggs have 1000 health...
and touching them does 15 damage..

it seems to work actually
boss bar health shows
when i do damage the boss health lowers

only one issue..
whenever i kill it, it dies and theres still about 1/20 of the boss health bar left
so the death script never runs
and the gaudi egg is already destroyed
how do i fix this?
I already did a mini boss like this with a power critter before so i know it works

i've tried lots of different amounts of health but they all do the same thing
I've tried:

all of them leave just that tiny bit of health

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:52 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
some types of NPC have special behaviour to run animations when they reach a certain amount of health. When this happens, instead of normal death behaviour, the animation plays and the NPC becomes unshootable. This is very common for labyrinth enemies in particular. So, it probably won't work for that NPC. You can use a different one and change its sprites probably, though, for that kind of behaviour.

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:55 PM
some types of NPC have special behaviour to run animations when they reach a certain amount of health. When this happens, instead of normal death behaviour, the animation plays and the NPC becomes unshootable. This is very common for labyrinth enemies in particular. So, it probably won't work for that NPC. You can use a different one and change its sprites probably, though, for that kind of behaviour.

darn
got any good ideas for sprites that don't move that i can add health to?
i don't want to use ones like pot because i'll use those later and i don't want a pot to be doing 15 damage and have a ton of health

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:59 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
one of the statue types would probably be a good pick

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:09 PM
one of the statue types would probably be a good pick
are those the bunny statues?
like on the outerwall

or are you talking about something else

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:11 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I dunno just go through the list and pick something you don't need

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:24 PM
I dunno just go through the list and pick something you don't need
i cant find many since i'm using sandzone and labyrinth sprites already in one map

also for some reason parrots aren't shootable...
they just act like they aren't even there (except the ones holding the bone chomping skeletons)

EDIT: Nevermind!!!
I was able to find one
I took those snowball things with the mini snowballs around them (i think they are called fuzzcores but they look like snowballs)
In fact, I think it works even BETTER than the gaudi egg!

I understand now because the snowball things don't have the little death animation, like gaudis flop over and the gaudi eggs leave a little mark of something

Thanks noxid!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 3:36 AM
War criminal
Here's a tip: some entities have their sprites specifically set to show up on all maps, such as NpcRegu or NpcSym. Maybe you can use one of those?

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:58 PM
I can no longer seem to edit picture's now that I have used boosters lab on my thing.
All the image files are renamed to .bmp for some reason, and I've tried all these different things but I either get one of two errors:

1.) The game gives that annoying f%fa93189734 error
2.) The game says "(Not responding)"

What can I do to fix this? I know cave editor has a built in editor but I really wish I could use my own, I'm using paint and it's so much easier to use it. Does boosters lab have a good built in editor?
Is there any other way to fix this?
I'm able to get the game back to normal but I can't make any more image changes which is disappointing.

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:05 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
BL automatically changes images to BMP because it's much easier to edit than pbm. I'd recommend using Paint.net since MS Paint can't edit BMPs (I don't think). If the problem isn't editing the files, but loading them, go into Cave Editor, "Game Settings", remove the copyright pixel requirement, and change "pbm" to "bmp". Cave Editor's pbm/bmp editor is only good for quick palette changes (while modding) anyways.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 12:52 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
In the mod I'm working on, I'm attempting to have a fireplace-fire block a path if the player has the Polar-star variant in their arsenal. If the player is unarmed the path is supposed to open up allowing the player to access this area. Here's what I have for the action thus far:
<KEY<FLJ6000:0210<FL+6000<AMJ0002:0901<MSGHey bud, no weapons allowed!<NOD<CLR<MSGOh, you don't own one?<NOD
Come this way, meet me at the end
of the path.<NOD<SOU0015 [Removing fire code would go here?]<END
The flag jump for event 210 will be used for the player talking to the fire a second time which allows the player to go to the other opening on the same map, I have the ability to go to that side of the map down but removing the fire entity visually is where I'm having a problem. Event 901 in the AMJ command means the player is denied all together. If the player talks unarmed they're allowed access.
The only problem is how do I remove the fireplace-fire like they do in grasstown? I think it's DNP0038 (reading to delete entity 38, the fire) or it's ANP0038 that'd just remove the fire temporarily like in Grass Town using the Jellyfish juice.

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:21 AM
In the mod I'm working on, I'm attempting to have a fireplace-fire block a path if the player has the Polar-star variant in their arsenal. If the player is unarmed the path is supposed to open up allowing the player to access this area. Here's what I have for the action thus far:
<KEY<FLJ6000:0210<FL+6000<AMJ0002:0901<MSGHey bud, no weapons allowed!<NOD<CLR<MSGOh, you don't own one?<NOD
Come this way, meet me at the end
of the path.<NOD<SOU0015 [Removing fire code would go here?]<END
The flag jump for event 210 will be used for the player talking to the fire a second time which allows the player to go to the other opening on the same map, I have the ability to go to that side of the map down but removing the fire entity visually is where I'm having a problem. Event 901 in the AMJ command means the player is denied all together. If the player talks unarmed they're allowed access.
The only problem is how do I remove the fireplace-fire like they do in grasstown? I think it's DNP0038 (reading to delete entity 38, the fire) or it's ANP0038 that'd just remove the fire temporarily like in Grass Town using the Jellyfish juice.
I'm no expert but have you tried using <CNP which will change the NPC to whatever one you want (in this case nothing, 0000)?
again i'm no expert

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:23 AM
Pointless double post
BL automatically changes images to BMP because it's much easier to edit than pbm. I'd recommend using Paint.net since MS Paint can't edit BMPs (I don't think). If the problem isn't editing the files, but loading them, go into Cave Editor, "Game Settings", remove the copyright pixel requirement, and change "pbm" to "bmp". Cave Editor's pbm/bmp editor is only good for quick palette changes (while modding) anyways.
So paint.net is able to edit these files?
I wonder why that would be able to and not the normal paint that comes with my computer..

Aug 23, 2017 at 5:48 AM
War criminal
Um, but MSPaint DOES edit bitmaps? Just right click on the bitmap and select "Open With..." and choose "Paint". Actually, if you're sick of accidentally opening it with Photo Viewer instead of MSPaint, then make that the default program to open bitmaps with, instead!

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:20 PM
Um, but MSPaint DOES edit bitmaps? Just right click on the bitmap and select "Open With..." and choose "Paint". Actually, if you're sick of accidentally opening it with Photo Viewer instead of MSPaint, then make that the default program to open bitmaps with, instead!
that seems to work!
probably saving it as a different file and converting it messed things up

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:27 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I think it's more that MS paint doesn't know how to handle indexed palettes intelligently thus it's not recommended for editing

Aug 23, 2017 at 4:27 PM
Does anyone know is you can see the Flashes <FLA through a fade out? <FAO0000
I'm trying to pretend someone is using a flash light without extreme animation so if this works then that'll do
thx

Aug 23, 2017 at 6:17 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
would it not have taken you just as long to try it than to make this post and wait for a response