Aug 13, 2017 at 12:38 AM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Or you just put critter sprites on a npc that doesn't move.
i don't want to get rid of sprites though
any other ideas? I did it before somehow

also anyone have any idea how to get the unused music like wind fortress in?

you could either hack in a new/change an NPC with assembly, or just use the <ANP command on it I think, to set it to whatever makes it not move. I think.
what's the animation thing again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 13, 2017 at 2:39 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
this is from the modding guide.
<ANPx:y:z Animate NPc Animate npc X with method Y in direction Z [npc type determines Y values?]
I'm not sure which animation number to use in y to make the critter stop moving, but one of them probably does that. It might be 0 or something, but you can just test it out with trail and error.
the only problem would be if it stopped that animation you set to it if you approach it. I honestly don't know.

EDIT: About adding on unused music, you'd first need an ORG (which you can find on the main site, I believe) and Resource Hacker. There's a nice thread outlining it somewhere in the search function.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 4:47 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Aug 19, 2017 at 3:35 AM
You can make new spritesheets, something that's very convenient for most modders!
wait how do you do that?
I also don't know how to get it to pick where it's from

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:50 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
you have to follow the naming conventions

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:36 PM
you have to follow the naming conventions
what are those?
sorry these are probably beginner questions

OH ALSO
important question:
I've been really wanting to get 2 different sprite sets (so I have the sandzone bone monsters and the gaudi labyrinth characters in one area) but it just doesn't seem to be working
I've seen the NPC set 1 and 2 but I don't exactly understand how that works... when I pick both it's not working.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:45 PM
War criminal
Make sure the new spritesheets are in the name format NpcLoremIspum.bmp with LoremIpsum being any word, really, and to have those in the Npc folder.

OH ALSO
important question:
I've been really wanting to get 2 different sprite sets (so I have the sandzone bone monsters and the gaudi labyrinth characters in one area) but it just doesn't seem to be working
I've seen the NPC set 1 and 2 but I don't exactly understand how that works... when I pick both it's not working.
For this one, this is easy! Both Sand Zone and Labyrinth npcs are set to read off of Npc set 1, so all you have to do is to open up the npc.tbl file in Booster's Lab and make it so the entities seen in the NpcMaze bitmap are set to load off of Npc Set 2. And then you'll be able to use both Sand Zone and Labyrinth enemies in the same map!

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:00 PM
each map draws from two (2) spritesheets. whenever you use an entity, in its data it will decide whether to draw its sprites from the first option, the second option, or something like npcsym or regu. you can change which sprite sheet (1 or 2) they draw from with booster's lab's Edit npc.tbl button. you can just make a new .bmp and name it using the same naming conventions like noxid said (each one like NpcName basically), then in the mapdata section you would change Npc Set 1 or 2 to your new file, assuming you're using booster's lab.

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:21 PM
War criminal
each map draws from two (2) spritesheets. whenever you use an entity, in its data it will decide whether to draw its sprites from the first option, the second option, or something like npcsym or regu. you can change which sprite sheet (1 or 2) they draw from with booster's lab's Edit npc.tbl button. you can just make a new .bmp and name it using the same naming conventions like noxid said (each one like NpcName basically), then in the mapdata section you would change Npc Set 1 or 2 to your new file, assuming you're using booster's lab.
Yeah um, exactly what I said. :V

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:37 PM
i typed my post and sent it before seeing yours, sorry
EDIT: yeah I still have no clue how that happened

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:22 PM
Make sure the new spritesheets are in the name format NpcLoremIspum.bmp with LoremIpsum being any word, really, and to have those in the Npc folder.

For this one, this is easy! Both Sand Zone and Labyrinth npcs are set to read off of Npc set 1, so all you have to do is to open up the npc.tbl file in Booster's Lab and make it so the entities seen in the NpcMaze bitmap are set to load off of Npc Set 2. And then you'll be able to use both Sand Zone and Labyrinth enemies in the same map!
Thanks for helping!
Just curious is there a place where it says where the npc pixels are taken out and put into the game?
So this part of the spritesheet is used to make sprite 40 and this part is used to make sprite 41 for example?

For this one, this is easy! Both Sand Zone and Labyrinth npcs are set to read off of Npc set 1, so all you have to do is to open up the npc.tbl file in Booster's Lab and make it so the entities seen in the NpcMaze bitmap are set to load off of Npc Set 2. And then you'll be able to use both Sand Zone and Labyrinth enemies in the same map![/QUOTE]
oh, by the way I'm not using boosters lab
Is there any way to do this in cave editor?
Boosters lab confused me because I couldn't get it to load

I gave up on sue's workshop, it served me well but now I found out how to change graphics and stuff (plus sue's workshop doesn't have all the fancy editors and handy stuff, AND it also messes up stuff a LOT... like i'll get some f%faopsjdpsk glitch thing)

wait where is this npc.tbl editor?
I tried downloading boosters lab but whenever I click on a map it won't load
Am I missing something?
It still has that blue/purple title screen saying "Boosters Lab" in the middle
Whenever I click on the 4 options
Tile
Entity
Map
ScriptData
it just shows me a random picture of a cat and some buttons

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:10 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
If you're going to make posts right after each other like that then please just edit the old one

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:27 AM
If you're going to make posts right after each other like that then please just edit the old one
sorry i keep on forgetting that...
i'm always just full of questions

OK I'm EDITING THE THING NOW
Question:
I can't seem to get the fog background to show...
It just shows black anyone know why?
I try setting it to fixed, move slow, and scroll fast left but nothing works

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 1:43 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I can't seem to get the fog background to show...
It just shows black anyone know why?
I try setting it to fixed, move slow, and scroll fast left but nothing works
Try using "Parallax scroll (clouds)".

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:58 PM
War criminal
Are you using the bkFog bitmap? If so, is it at 320x240 resolution? The game cannot render backgrounds from any bigger size.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:17 PM
Are you using the bkFog bitmap? If so, is it at 320x240 resolution? The game cannot render backgrounds from any bigger size.
Yeah i'm using the bkFog thing
It's currently at the 640 windowed thing though (full screen doesn't work at ALL i don't know why)
should i switch to the smallest?
is there any way to allow it for bigger ones?

ALSO does anyone know how to remove max life????? I didn't find the answer anywhere
I tried adding 1001 life but... that just gave me 1001 life!

Try using "Parallax scroll (clouds)".
What's parallax scroll clouds?

I'm not editing this one in because the last post is getting kind of full plus i'm not sure if people are ignoring this because it doesn't show any new messages
please don't give me a warning or anything I just am super new to all of this fancy stuff that you guys seem to act like it's 2nd grade math

I'm honestly so confused though.
One of my other maps I can change the background EASY
But this other one seems to be IMPOSSIBLE. Nothing is changing. It just keeps showing black.
Am I doing something wrong with this map? WHY IS IT SO BROKEN!?!?

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:32 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
.......ALSO does anyone know how to remove max life????? I didn't find the answer anywhere
I tried adding 1001 life but... that just gave me 1001 life!
I will assume you use Cave Editor:
You can edit the maximum hp value by going to "Game settings"
p359873-0-lhfn6vu.png

Selecting "New game data" values for HP.
p359873-1-x8du3ke.png

And changing them to your desired value.
p359873-2-zll5ilq.png

And voilà!
p359873-3-dww3opr.png

Refilling health will not bring it down to 232 as seen with commands.
p359873-4-njzx2cr.png

p359873-5-toidtth.png

But if you get a life capsule this happens.
p359873-6-8ym1lla.png

And going to a refill station will bring back down to 232.
p359873-7-dmxc7st.png
If you're talking about life capsules then start with putting in the life capsule (obvious enough):
Also make sure you're using the right command:
<ML+XXXX: This increases your maximum life by X which is what life capsules use.
<LI+1000 (Can also be <LI+XXXX): This restores 1000 hp (Or X) but does not increase the total hp, the <LI+1000 command is used in health refill stations.
You don't have to use <ML+ or <LI+ in just their respective areas, you can really use them anywhere like how beds use the <LI+ command for restoring HP and the health refill stations use both <LI+ and <AE+ for health and ammo.
So in a script you'd use:
<PRI<SOU0022<DNP0901<CMU0016
<MSG<GIT1006Obtained a =Life Capsule=!<WAI0160<NOD<RMU<ML+0003
Max health increased by 3!<NOD<END
p359873-8-3skcauq.png

p359873-9-erg99ws.png

p359873-10-4g1xp8g.png

But going to a refill station will bring it down to 232.
p359873-11-hsqbgvv.png
I hope either method helps!
Just remember that the game can only really remember 232 hp so getting 1001 through the game's settings will work fine until you get a capsule and refill your health. But getting 1001 hp through commands will go down to 232 once you refill your health.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:52 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
wait where is this npc.tbl editor?
I tried downloading boosters lab but whenever I click on a map it won't load
Am I missing something?
It still has that blue/purple title screen saying "Boosters Lab" in the middle
Whenever I click on the 4 options
Tile
Entity
Map
ScriptData
it just shows me a random picture of a cat and some buttons
What's parallax scroll clouds?

I'm not editing this one in because the last post is getting kind of full plus i'm not sure if people are ignoring this because it doesn't show any new messages
please don't give me a warning or anything I just am super new to all of this fancy stuff that you guys seem to act like it's 2nd grade math

I'm honestly so confused though.
One of my other maps I can change the background EASY
But this other one seems to be IMPOSSIBLE. Nothing is changing. It just keeps showing black.
Am I doing something wrong with this map? WHY IS IT SO BROKEN!?!?
I'm gonna try to clear up a few Booster's Lab-related things using screenshots. This should help just in case you end up using Booster's Lab for some things. At the end, I also answer your question on bkFog not working.

- Load the mod you want to edit.
p359874-0-aqw7ze8.png

Note: If you click "Load last", it will load up the last mod you saved work on.

- You should end up with something like this:
p359874-1-ygqfyhw.png

- To open a map to edit, double-click on the map name in the list under Map listing.
p359874-2-jxz0ut3.png

- It may take a while to load if it's the first map that's opened right after opening Booster's Lab, but you will end up with this:
p359874-3-wq0gyhk.png

- As you can see, we are currently in Tile mode (the bubble next to Tile is filled in). As you can imagine, this is where you change the tiling. A nifty trick in this mode is to double-click in the Tileset to pop it out into its own separate window.
p359874-4-mvr8r6w.png

- If you click the bubble next to Entity, you lose the ability to affect the tiles, but gain the ability to place, remove, and edit entities.
p359874-5-vtuzuob.png

- It depends on the version you are using, but with the latest version you mouse over the space you want to add an entity and press "I".

- This also happens to be the mode in which you can edit npc.tbl. To edit it, just click the button...
p359874-6-rg36nkk.png

- ... and you'll be brought to this window.
p359874-7-bikes49.png

- Clicking the bubble next to Script will bring up various tools involving editing the script, but I usually ignore most of them...
p359874-8-1gz2ott.png

- ... in favor of the Script window that automatically pops up the first time you click the Script bubble.
p359874-9-wtudhsk.png

- When you click the final bubble next to Mapdata, you will be brought here.
p359874-10-1lcyxvv.png

- This is where you change various things like the background, how the background scrolls, what tilesets are used, and more.

- To answer your question on making bkFog work:
1. Next to Background, make sure it's set to bkFog.
2. Next to Scroll Type, select "7 - Parallax scroll (clouds)". This is necessary for making each "layer" of clouds in bkFog move to the side at different speeds instead of tiling like bkBlue is supposed to.
3. The background should now be a functional bkFog.
Note: If it is still black, I faintly recall that it might be due to you adding more maps than the game can handle. I could be wrong, however.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:12 PM
I'm gonna try to clear up a few Booster's Lab-related things using screenshots. This should help just in case you end up using Booster's Lab for some things. At the end, I also answer your question on bkFog not working.

- Load the mod you want to edit.
p359874-0-aqw7ze8.png

Note: If you click "Load last", it will load up the last mod you saved work on.

- You should end up with something like this:
p359874-1-ygqfyhw.png

- To open a map to edit, double-click on the map name in the list under Map listing.
p359874-2-jxz0ut3.png

- It may take a while to load if it's the first map that's opened right after opening Booster's Lab, but you will end up with this:
p359874-3-wq0gyhk.png

- As you can see, we are currently in Tile mode (the bubble next to Tile is filled in). As you can imagine, this is where you change the tiling. A nifty trick in this mode is to double-click in the Tileset to pop it out into its own separate window.
p359874-4-mvr8r6w.png

- If you click the bubble next to Entity, you lose the ability to affect the tiles, but gain the ability to place, remove, and edit entities.
p359874-5-vtuzuob.png

- It depends on the version you are using, but with the latest version you mouse over the space you want to add an entity and press "I".

- This also happens to be the mode in which you can edit npc.tbl. To edit it, just click the button...
p359874-6-rg36nkk.png

- ... and you'll be brought to this window.
p359874-7-bikes49.png

- Clicking the bubble next to Script will bring up various tools involving editing the script, but I usually ignore most of them...
p359874-8-1gz2ott.png

- ... in favor of the Script window that automatically pops up the first time you click the Script bubble.
p359874-9-wtudhsk.png

- When you click the final bubble next to Mapdata, you will be brought here.
p359874-10-1lcyxvv.png

- This is where you change various things like the background, how the background scrolls, what tilesets are used, and more.

- To answer your question on making bkFog work:
1. Next to Background, make sure it's set to bkFog.
2. Next to Scroll Type, select "7 - Parallax scroll (clouds)". This is necessary for making each "layer" of clouds in bkFog move to the side at different speeds instead of tiling like bkBlue is supposed to.
3. The background should now be a functional bkFog.
Note: If it is still black, I faintly recall that it might be due to you adding more maps than the game can handle. I could be wrong, however.
Thanks for helping!
Just one question...
How long does it take for the first map to load? I think the maximum time I waited was around 7 seconds (I was confused... not impatient... maybe both)
I'll try it again if it takes like 30 seconds

Also still the bkFog thing being layered didn't seem to work. nothing does D:
No backgrounds work so I'm not sure