Jun 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
DISREGARD THAT I'M STUPID
Also, we have a thread specifically for hacking/modding questions, I recommend using the search button up top before making a thread.

It's been a while since I've been modding, so if that's not it, try checking your <TRA variables.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Re: Why won't this script work?

Instead of making a new thread proposing only one question you can ask in it this thread, Quick Modding/Hacking Answers.

Double posting is also a no~no here.
These are the forum rules, which I would recommend you read before posting again. (It's really just a suggestion from me, but if you don't read them you can get things like warnings/infractions from Mods or Admins for rule breaking.)

Edit: Also, what Cultr1 said about the search button.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
cultr1 said:
<FAI0000 isn't a legitimate command.
Use 0001, 0002, 0003, or 0004.

That's not true. <FAI0000 is fade in from left.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:56 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
A lot of things could be wrong, it'd probably be easier to see the EXE itself.
The few things I can think of off this much information: you've got the events in order already, increasing as they descend, right? Because if not, then it might be running on past event 71 and finding nothing there, causing the error. {Though, I don't think it should, since there's an <END, I can't quite remember...}
...And, that's sorta it really, unless there's some obscured corruption going on.
From what you've said, it should work, I'd have to see more first.

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:04 PM
LSD
"..."
@Everyone who said I should search.
Sorry. Still new.

@Void
What do you need more of? I deleted it, but haven't moved it from my Recycle Bin. Just tell me and I can show you.

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Pigaro said:
@Void
What do you need more of? I deleted it, but haven't moved it from my Recycle Bin. Just tell me and I can show you.
VoidMage_Lowell said:
A lot of things could be wrong, it'd probably be easier to see the EXE itself.
There might be something else wrong that you're not seeing right away.
You have the events in order, right? Didn't say anything about that.
Did you modify any of the images without removing/adding back the (C)Pixel? {That causes crashes when entering a room/screen using that image}
How far does the <FAI go before it crashes? Basically how long after you enter the room does it take for the crash to kick in, and is it the same each time.
There might even be some odd corruption; did you add or copy this map? Can't remember if that still matters with the current Cave Editor. And did you keep the originals, or did you delete them all?
Have you tried copying the room from scratch {As in, placing everything by hand exactly as it is, not copying the file over} on a clean EXE and seeing if the problem repeats?

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM
"Huzzah!"
Hey guys, i'm having sn issue with my normal balrog based first boss. You know when he grabs you? Turns out it hides your character. And well, because of the way i'm designing the new boss, you should be able to see part of the PC behind the boss.

I wa sjust wondering if theres a simple way of stopping balrog from hiding my PC when he grabs him.

I know i havent been on for like a year, but i'm pretty sporadic with this project ^_^;

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Only think I can think of that doesn't involve hax is to make the appropriate part of Balrog's back sprite transparent

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:21 PM
Been here way too long...
Nono, his point is that when balrog noms you, there is a call to <HMC made. Even if you made blarog completely invisible, the character would be unseen when eaten.

So it'll require x86, but not much. Just dig around balrog's code. Offsets are in noxid's compendium.

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:52 PM
"Huzzah!"
Yeah thanks for the comments. Potentially what i could do is paste the PC into the back sprite of the boss, obscured by the bars of the cage. (the idea is he throws you in a cage in his body)

This is a method which is alot easier for me because i mainly work high level. Both of your comments gave me that idea. Thanks much ^^

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:18 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I can't seem to put in my own orgs in my cave story mod. Every time I do, I get this error message:

G:\Cave Story\Cave Story - Redemption\data\stage\Prt.pbm,0
G:\Cave Story\Cave Story - Redemption\data\Npc\Npc.pbm,0
G:\Cave Story\Cave Story - Redemption\data\Npc\Npc.pbm,0

I really don't know what's wrong....They are completely new data folders.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:22 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Are you using Sue's

It screws up the PE format and ruins things if you change the resources.

It looks kind of like your mapdata is corrupt, so I'm going to assume probably that.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:37 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've used Sue's up to this point (which I regret) but haven't use it after... what should I do? I am considering remaking my hack in Cave Editor, but that would take a while...

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:50 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I think it's possible to go from sue's to CE, just not the other way around, so you could try that. There may be other residual problems though, so if that doesn't work then my recommendation is to copy a fresh .exe to your data folder and start from there. The transition would be very easy if you didn't rename any of the stage "tags" (i.e. resevoir is pool, etc.)

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:09 PM
LSD
"..."
VoidMage_Lowell said:
There might be something else wrong that you're not seeing right away.
You have the events in order, right? Didn't say anything about that.
Did you modify any of the images without removing/adding back the (C)Pixel? {That causes crashes when entering a room/screen using that image}
How far does the <FAI go before it crashes? Basically how long after you enter the room does it take for the crash to kick in, and is it the same each time.
There might even be some odd corruption; did you add or copy this map? Can't remember if that still matters with the current Cave Editor. And did you keep the originals, or did you delete them all?
Have you tried copying the room from scratch {As in, placing everything by hand exactly as it is, not copying the file over} on a clean EXE and seeing if the problem repeats?

Yes I have all of the Events in order. And no, I didn't edit any images. The <FAI doesn't even begin before it crashes, it takes about 20 ticks after I go through the hole before it crashes. I copied the map, the added it to end, added a map into where it was before, and edited that. That might be where I screwed up. I'll try putting everything on a new .EXE if it doesn't work. I started something else and it's started to work.
Thanks.

I have another question irrelivent to my other post.

Why does my game crash when I attempt to edit the graphics?

I use CE. I go into game settings, turn off the (C)pixel requirement, and change the .pbm (I think it is) to .bmp.
I go in and edit it in Paint, because my extremely old laptop doesn't let me download anything else, save it, and change the .bmp back to .pbm. When I try and load the game, right away, it crashes.

Is there any other way to edit the graphics? (Without the CE one, that sucks.)

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
If you changed the extension to .bmp with CE then you don't need to rename the files to .pbm, it should work as .bmp now

Also, please don't double post...

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:11 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Nope. I said entities 111 and 112. Those entities are Quote jumping in the teleporter and teleporting in and teleporting out. I don't want entity 111 to teleport, just stand there, and I don't want entity 112 to teleport either, just jump down.

So uh... Anyone ever figure something out about this? I could probably do it if I had some help isolatin the code on the two entities that makes the teleporting animation.

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM
When you <ANP an entity, what it ACTUALLY does is set that entity's scriptstate to a specific value. If you can figure out which anp causes the teleporter thing through tsc, you'll be able to follow the code to the offending portion.

(do I need to be more specific?)

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:46 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Lace said:
When you <ANP an entity, what it ACTUALLY does is set that entity's scriptstate to a specific value. If you can figure out which anp causes the teleporter thing through tsc, you'll be able to follow the code to the offending portion.

(do I need to be more specific?)

Are you talking about in the TSC or the ASM? Cause the teleporter I know how to ANP.
Here, when you usually want to use the teleporter, you hade the character and place in an entity, that entity, without any ANP commmand, will jump to the teleporter, stand there a moment, then teleprt out and disapear. During that sequence the Teleporter is ANP'd seperatley. What I want, is for that entity to NOT teleport out amd disapear. It will just stand there. The other entity, is the one that teleports in. I a
completely aware of how to make the teleporter animate.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM
Are you talking about in the TSC or the ASM? Cause the teleporter I know how to ANP.
What I'm saying is that they are the same thing.
If you know which specific number to animate the npc as, then you can narrow down which part of the code you need to work with.