Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:15 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Apr 10, 2010 at 4:29 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
brianbdm said:
Messing with computers and stuff is just a hobby for people. It certainly isn't any more of a waste of time as playing the game itself. I like modding things. I have a modded DS and I'm going to mod my Wii as soon as the warranty expires.

Definitely a good call, there.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 10, 2010 at 9:20 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Excuse me if this has been discussed already, but... Doesn't the main menu say "(c) 2010 Nicalis Inc." ? Surely Pixel didn't just GIVE Cave Story to them, did he?

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Nicalis not only knew of the original translation, but they actually used it in development, before they translated TextBox and Caret themselves. This is proven by the AG translation's pbm files being present in all three of the DLC .apps, even though the Wii version uses bmp files instead.

Noxid said:
If you could re-compress that... somehow?

I could do that! But I don't know if I can get it back in the .app afterwards, to put in the .wad, to put on the Wii (or in an emulator). If so, I would also get rid of all the junk they left behind and make the game like five times smaller. :(

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:47 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Fire1052 said:
Excuse me if this has been discussed already, but... Doesn't the main menu say "(c) 2010 Nicalis Inc." ? Surely Pixel didn't just GIVE Cave Story to them, did he?

I would hope not. This was a huge pet peeve of mine because they give Pixel so little credit for a game they are banking off of having done such a poor job porting.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:59 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
no.
Pixel still holds the rights for Cave Story.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:57 AM
Cave Story Wii was a joint production between Pixel and Nicalis. They both hold the copyrights to it. Pixel alone holds the copyrights to the original Cave Story. It's like when SEGA makes a game on a Nintendo platform. The companies work out some sort of contract together to make it work. It probably wasn't too complicated since Nicalis is just a small business and Pixel is just one person.

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:33 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Chaddykins said:
I would hope not. This was a huge pet peeve of mine because they give Pixel so little credit for a game they are banking off of having done such a poor job porting.

Its hard I think to explain what parts of the game were done by whom. I was the lead programmer on the port. Sometimes people don't get that I only did the port. Pixel deserves all recognition from this game and all the money it generates.

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:41 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I Agree, And Hey Welcome To The Forums :o

Congrats on your input to the project by the way :o

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM
Slacker
Tiffany Leigh Smith said:
Its hard I think to explain what parts of the game were done by whom. I was the lead programmer on the port. Sometimes people don't get that I only did the port. Pixel deserves all recognition from this game and all the money it generates.

Let me clarify I guess hah..

I guess I used the term "port" improperly :X . The game itself feels great and everything feels as it should gameplay-wise and mechanics and stuff like that.

Most everything else though I'm not too keen on :X

Thank you for your hard work regardless, I'm glad that Pixel's game is out there (even if blah blah my opinions here)

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Chaddykins said:
Let me clarify I guess hah..

I guess I used the term "port" improperly :X . The game itself feels great and everything feels as it should gameplay-wise and mechanics and stuff like that.

Most everything else though I'm not too keen on :X

Thank you for your hard work regardless, I'm glad that Pixel's game is out there (even if blah blah my opinions here)

Thank you, it was my first commercial game and as much as I tried to do the perfect job, I also know that perfect is pretty much unattainable. It really was an honour to get the chance to work on Cave Story for Wiiware.

Thank you, JetHawk for the welcome!

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:40 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
For whoever mentioned modding the Wii version, it would be almost the same as modding the PC version apart from some minor differences and, for assembly stuff, a different assembly language (it looks like Wii uses a PPC processor).

I won't go into any details, though, since that would be against the rules. Besides, I don't really know any details.

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
@Tiffany: It's good to see another member of the dev team visit the forums.

@Celtic Minstrel: Seriously, just let it die. You are not exactly helping.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:35 AM
From what I've heard, basically the wiiware version is like one big compressed folder with the same basic components as the PC version, except compressed and in a different format. Somebody (smarter than me) will probably make a program that can automatically change the files between the wii ones and the PC ones so they are easier to edit. It doesn't seem too complicated in theory, but, then again, I wouldn't be able to do it myself, so...

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:16 PM
Been here way too long...
shutupshutupshutup!
So yeah, me liky the new graphics. No me liky new music or dialogue.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:23 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone agrees with that. It could have used a few more frames of animation, though. With the better graphics, it makes it actually look a bit choppy. Has anyone else noticed this?

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:53 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
brianbdm said:
I'm pretty sure everyone agrees with that. It could have used a few more frames of animation, though. With the better graphics, it makes it actually look a bit choppy. Has anyone else noticed this?

No..

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM
Been here way too long...
I can understand how it can look choppy, but if you have more frames in the graphically updated version, then you could possibly run into animation glitches on the "Original" version.

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM
It depends really. So as long as the number of new frames are a multiple of the original amount of frames, all that is needed is a bigger sprite sheet, and a modified animation code. (i.e. Curly's walking animation is 3 frames, new amount would be 6, 9 frames, etc)

Of course, double or tripling the frames per sprite would be quite a job, and I'm not sure how much bigger the game would be because of it.

...and sorry for kicking a dead horse, but has anybody noticed anything odd about how the Polar Star sounds, among other weapons? (never did get a response...)