Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:58 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I tried it out. It didn't sound different to me.
It may make the game bigger, but not by much. It's only a tiny picture for each sprite. It would probably increase the size by a few mb. That's almost nothing, but the game itself is only, like, 30mb in the first place.

does anybody know actually how much space a "block" is on the wii? I'm guessing something like 100kb. I think it said that the game was 2,800 blocks and the game is about 28mb.

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:08 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I thought the weapons all sounded different. I didn't really like it either. Spur in particular is missing its signature *Bwee* sound.

As for increasing frames, it wouldn't really increase the file size too much, but it would be an incredible amount of work to go in and hand-tool the NPC code to add the extra frames themselves. Apart from a few select things, the mechanics of the game are a carbon-copy of the PC version. Plus you'd have to draw the extra frames :0

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
The mechanics would be identical if they had access to Pixel's source code, which is likely.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:01 AM
That's why I wonder if it's actually a bit more of an emulation than a port. It just seems too similar to have been completely remade.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:03 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I wouldn't say remade as compared to expanded upon.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:06 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
brianbdm said:
That's why I wonder if it's actually a bit more of an emulation than a port. It just seems too similar to have been completely remade.

They probably DID have access to pixel's source code, since he was in on the project himself.

Also if it was an emulation then one could probably import mods onto the wii.

The 2 biggest things that I'd say suggest it was a recompiled (and modified) version of the source code is that:
-It makes sense to do this so it runs on the wii
-60 FPS
-640x480 resolution

The last 2 REQUIRE engine modifications (aka recomplied code or hacked executable) so it's most likely they recompiled it.

Besides, the frames don't really look that jumpy at all.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM
In front of a computer
brianbdm said:
The Mac version is also extremely similar, but it's not an emulation.

And of course it's not completely remade. Why would they re-invent the wheel when they have access to the original source code? They just ported it to the Wii (changing all the system calls) and updated the engine a little.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:23 AM
Since the Wii runs on different codes and stuff from regular computers, it might have been easier just to start over from scratch, using the original source code as a referrence. This would have been remaking it. I don't know if this was the case, however. It doesn't seem like they did.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:28 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
brianbdm said:
Since the Wii runs on different codes and stuff from regular computers, it might have been easier just to start over from scratch, using the original source code as a referrence. This would have been remaking it. I don't know if this was the case, however. It doesn't seem like they did.

They could've still recompiled the C++ code for the wii, they would have just had to use different drawing functions (and completely rework the sounds and music).

The thing with higher level languages like C++ and others is that they can be compiled on many different systems, like perhaps the wii.

To RECODE (rewrite) the whole game (to write it up in another language) would've been silly, and not likely.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:04 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
To RECODE (rewrite) the whole game (to write it up in another language) would've been silly, and not likely.
Did someone say Java? (ick; friend of mine tells bad stories about it)

Porting sucks sometimes. What would work on the PC version may not work out well with the Wii version. I can't imagine the Wii's architecture being radically different than a run-of-the-mill PC (don't know much about PowerPC vs x86), but it's apparent that Nicalis hit some snags during development.

I agree with GIRakaCHEEZER about Cave Story Wii being recompiled at least partially.

brianbdm said:
does anybody know actually how much space a "block" is on the wii?
1 block is approximately 128kb the last time I checked.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:29 AM
It's probably a bit of a mix between the two. Nicalis would have kept everything the same that he could to save time. Obviously, EVERYTHING couldn't be the same, otherwise they'd practically just copy the executable and other files to the Wii, and those .exe files only run on Windows.

~This is a bit random, but does anybody know if CS was ever ported to DOS?

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:40 AM
Been here way too long...
No, it never was, and I believe you'd have to change the game engine to make a DOS port.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Just find the windows specific instructions and rewrite them I guess. Though I can see it being either insanely difficult or time consuming.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM
In front of a computer
brianbdm said:
This would apply if Cave Story were written in assembly. However, it was written in C (or C++, I can't remember which), so it can be recompiled for whichever architecture you like.

And, for reference, Cave Story has been ported to a PowerPC architecture in the past: Macintosh.

Captain Fabulous said:
No, it never was, and I believe you'd have to change the game engine to make a DOS port.
Doubt it. You'd just have to get rid of all the Win32 system calls and replace them with more low-level calls. Probably not worth it though, since DOS is a dead OS.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:52 AM
I asked because I heard of a DOS emulator for the DS. I wondered if it might work on it... I guess not, though.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Alright, I just got myself a Wii. All I need is a Wii LAN adaptor, a classic controller, and some Wii points and I will be ready for the EU release. :(

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:43 PM
andwhyisit said:
Alright, I just got myself a Wii. All I need is a Wii LAN adaptor, a classic controller, and some Wii points and I will be ready for the EU release. :(
Eh? No wireless? Get wit the times, man!

Oh, and I do recommend getting the Classic Controller Pro if possible. Much more comfortable, and the shoulder buttons don't feel like crap.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:29 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
dqle said:
Oh, and I do recommend getting the Classic Controller Pro if possible. Much more comfortable, and the shoulder buttons don't feel like crap.

I object! The regular Classic Controller feels much better in hand, the shoulder buttons do not feel like crap, and the D-pad is much better.

Also, the regular one is especially better for Cave Story.

[/myopinion]

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:16 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I play using the Wii Remote. The game was practically MADE for it.

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
dqle said:
Eh? No wireless? Get wit the times, man!
No connection.
No connection.
No connection.
No connection.
No connection.
No connection.
No connection.
No connection.
No connection.
No connection.
*switches to wired*
Connected.