Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:46 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Time said:
I play using the Wii Remote. The game was practically MADE for it.

I would agree, but that configuration only let's you switch weapons one way. LAME.

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:18 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
cultr1 said:
but that configuration only let's you switch weapons one way. LAME.

Wrong. The A button moves the weapon ring left and the B button moves the weapon ring right.

But because this keeps happening @#%&ing unintentionally, I never play with it. Same goes for Mega Man 10.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Bah, Mega Man never needed a quick weapon switch. ONLY if you were able to customize which order the weapons would go to would a quick switch be useful.

I've tried both the non-Pro and Pro versions. The d-pad doesn't feel different at all. (nor should it; the only differences are the larger spacing of the analog sticks, hand grips, and making the shoulder buttons more accessible) Of course, the non-Pro looks more like a SNES controller, so bonus points for that!

Meh, go grab a "dd-wrt" capable router, andwhyisit, and all problems will be solved. Who doesn't want to bathe in even more cancer-inducing waves?

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
dqle said:
Meh, go grab a "dd-wrt" capable router, andwhyisit, and all problems will be solved. Who doesn't want to bathe in even more cancer-inducing waves?
No, because:
1. The phone line and network cables run through the roof of the house to all of the computers in the house. We have the perfect setup for wired here.
2. The Wii LAN adaptor is probably cheaper, and I don't have any problems that need fixing.
3. I can do wireless with the setup I have, I just choose not to.
4. When I want to troubleshoot a problem I prefer to not have to switch back to wired just to check that the problem isn't with the signal.
5. I can easily run a network cable to the tv since that wall is covered in furniture. Though I probably won't need the connection after downloading cave story, so it doesn't matter.
6. Wireless is a security risk.
7. Umm.. cancer?

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:29 AM
All reasonable... reasons on why not to use the wireless. Lucky you have such a setup already available. I'm jealous!

Now don't say there isn't reason for future Wii online connections. I'm sure there are other downloadable titles you'd enjoy if you look around enough.

As for death from electronics, just messing around the fact that some people think cell/mobile phones will cause brain cancer due to its proximity to the skull and all. We've got a ton of radio waves hitting our bodies everyday, so what's another wireless router gonna do?

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:34 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
dqle said:
As for death from electronics, just messing around the fact that some people think cell/mobile phones will cause brain cancer due to its proximity to the skull and all. We've got a ton of radio waves hitting our bodies everyday, so what's another wireless router gonna do?

You're actually more likely to get cancer from being in close proximity of people, since we give off gamma radiation (the radiation that can cause cancer). Of course normally the gamma radiation doesn't do anything, but if it happens to hit a cell splitting into 2 (quite rare), that's what can cause the cancer.

The other thing that causes it is age, but I don't know too much about that.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:59 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
You're actually more likely to get cancer from being in close proximity of people, since we give off gamma radiation (the radiation that can cause cancer).
So... having AvPD will keep you alive. Interesting proposition...

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:36 AM
Been here way too long...
This has been a wonderfully off-topic conversation, but I'd like to point out that radio waves don't cause cancer. Their wavelengths aren't small enough to enter your body. Ultraviolet light can only go skin-deep, hence skin cancer, and to get a tumor you'd have to be exposed to X-rays.
THE MOAR YOU KNOW!
...About things completely unrelated to Cave StoWii.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:46 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
This has been a wonderfully off-topic conversation, but I'd like to point out that radio waves don't cause cancer. Their wavelengths aren't small enough to enter your body. Ultraviolet light can only go skin-deep, hence skin cancer, and to get a tumor you'd have to be exposed to X-rays.
THE MOAR YOU KNOW!
...About things completely unrelated to Cave StoWii.

Yeah but we're talking about gamma radiation from K-40 (potassium) in your body. It's different from x-rays, since x-rays and gamma rays are classified by the way they are generated. Although you don't emit too many, hence why it doesn't cause cancer often (I think).

Also I've bought this game, but it only lasted me for like 15-20 hours, since I did both a regular and a curly playthrough, and then played a bit of boss rush and sanctuary mode. Still hoping that they release a patch, or something.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:43 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
we give off gamma radiation
Wait a second.. I'm radioactive?
AWESOME!

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:26 AM
Not to the extent of glowing, sadly.
What I never ever ever got in super heroes like fallout boy and the like was how they didn't give themselves cancer.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:51 AM
cultr1 said:
I would agree, but that configuration only let's you switch weapons one way. LAME.
I thought that at first, too, but you actually can use either the B or A button to switch weapons. It can go either way.
I use the Wii Remote, too. Mostly just becaue I refuse to shell out another $20+ for another controller when I've already spent over $100 just for 2 wii remotes and nunchucks.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:09 AM
Apr 27, 2010 at 3:26 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
cultr1 said:

brianbdm said:
I thought that at first, too, but you actually can use either the B or A button to switch weapons. It can go either way.
I use the Wii Remote, too. Mostly just becaue I refuse to shell out another $20+ for another controller when I've already spent over $100 just for 2 wii remotes and nunchucks.

I think that's the order of the posts, since he probably replied to that one back a page.

Speaking of which, it never really gave me issues (accidentally switching weapons). I found I had a tendency to accidentally boost in the wrong direction with the d-pad though, but that's because of how I've grown accustomed to the keyboard. I guess I just wish I could play cave stowii on a keyboard, since it'd improve my hell/boss rush times a bit.

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:22 AM
Oops. Yeah, I forgot to quote it. Sorry.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:04 AM
Lace said:
Just thought I'd point that out.
Also how did we start talking about this? Weren't we talking about X-rays before?

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:28 AM
Where do you all learn all this stuff? I'd like to learn things like this for myself. CS has inspired me to try to make a small game or something of the like, but I'm not sure where to start. Where would you suggest?

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:28 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
brianbdm said:
Where do you all learn all this stuff? I'd like to learn things like this for myself. CS has inspired me to try to make a small game or something of the like, but I'm not sure where to start. Where would you suggest?

That depends on whether you want to do modding, programming, or something else entirely.

May 1, 2010 at 2:59 AM
You actually can't do that, but dream on.
@Fab - it is neigh. like a horsey! :p
@brian, what carrot said.