Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:47 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I can hear the sfx, but I can't hear much of the new music. I tried running it on Dolphin, but I get the same thing.
Edit:
DRAT! YOU TRICKED ME! I guess you get post #1,000

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:57 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
You lie. He does not.

Okay, well, I think the reason you're having trouble hearing the music is that it's inherently quiet. Especially compared to the sound effects and how loud they are.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:13 AM
Hey, that was intentional, by the way. (me not posting until now)

ANYWAYS, I said in general, the stuff is about on par. With my speakers and whatnot. It's probably best to turn down the SFX, just for convenience sake.

...and has anybody else noticed that the Polar Star/Spur/Machine Gun sound effects seem to be in reverse? Try the level 3 Polar Star/Machine Gun, level 1 Spur to best hear the odd effect.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:08 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Edit: Wrong thread.

Hrm... Content... The balcony is pretty nice...

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:45 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Ah, Swedes, with their crazy names.
My grandmother's actually named Gun. I find this a little hilarious now when I know english.

...I think the list of glitches kinda covers it. I've been thinking about adding the aren'y quote into my signature, but that won't really affect anything. Will people forgot the old names on places like Grasstown? *sigh*

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:20 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Yal said:
My grandmother's actually named Gun. I find this a little hilarious now when I know english.

lmao that's so cool...

...I think the list of glitches kinda covers it. I've been thinking about adding the aren'y quote into my signature, but that won't really affect anything. Will people forgot the old names on places like Grasstown? *sigh*

i still don't get how I played the game so much but missed like all the grammar/spelling errors. knowing they're there now reallllly irks me, so much more than music or map systems being buggy.

I think as long as there's a community like this with oldbies and the PC version's always alive and being messed with people'll always use the AG versions of names. Though, I think Bushlands makes a lot more sense for the area, Grasstown does sound a lot cooler, just as a word..

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:16 AM
Brushlands implies a dry area, like where I live. There's grasses that grow with less water, but they're mostly brown. "Grasslands" would be a better name. It sounds like a green feild, not a dry feild.
HUZZAH!
Er... I mean,
OH YEAH!
I know it's just another translation, but that was kind of his trademark... I want it back. ^^

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:12 AM
Yal said:
Will people forgot the old names on places like Grasstown? *sigh*
With what brianbdm said, it's unlikely us fans of the PC version will forget the AG translation. And because of that, it's a lot more likely for us to forget Nicalis' translation. Our iron grip of the "original" is unbreakable!

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:21 AM
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
brianbdm said:
Brushlands implies a dry area, like where I live. There's grasses that grow with less water, but they're mostly brown. "Grasslands" would be a better name. It sounds like a green feild, not a dry feild.
That's "Bushlands," not "Brushlands." I like Grasstown better too, but it's Pixel's game.
Note: every Cave Story fan ever likes "HUZZAH" better.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:58 AM
Woah, you're right! My mind just added that in. I guess it's because I've heard of brushlands before and not bushlands. It's still pretty close to the same thing. And I think grasslands would be better than either...
I wonder if we could get a CaveEditor for the WiiWare version... that would be epic
I'd expect that everyone would prefer "Huzzah." If a phrase becomes repeated, uh... repeatedly, people get used to it. It makes me wonder if Nicalis ever knew that there WAS an English PC version... That hadn't occurred to me before. What do you think?

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:06 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
brianbdm said:
I'd expect that everyone would prefer "Huzzah." If a phrase becomes repeated, uh... repeatedly, people get used to it. It makes me wonder if Nicalis ever knew that there WAS an English PC version... That hadn't occurred to me before. What do you think?

I'm almost 100% positive they knew the AG translation existed, since in their update on the blog where they said they were "re-translating" it, they said they weren't going to use the old one in order to get a truer (and consequently, poorly written for some reason) translation.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:22 AM
There will not be a map editor or anything like it for the WiiWare version. What would be better, and more likely, is the Wii graphics being PC-ified, so that we can play with and edit those. Because let's face it, the facelift is the only thing we can all agree is a good thing. (And "OH YEAH" is the only thing we can all agree is a bad thing.) (Oh wait I forgot "aren'y")
brianbdm said:
Totally impossible.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:29 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
There will not be a map editor or anything like it for the WiiWare version. What would be better, and more likely, is the Wii graphics being PC-ified, so that we can play with and edit those. Because let's face it, the facelift is the only thing we can all agree is a good thing. (And "OH YEAH" is the only thing we can all agree is a bad thing.) (Oh wait I forgot "aren'y")

I don't see how the wii graphics being PC-ified would work :s
I mean, there's hardly any significant changes other than Toroko's face, and the scaling down of everything else would basically just get us what we've already got, but maybe a bit sloppier looking.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:37 AM
Well, given enough time, anything could be made possible. It may not be tomorrow, but I'll bet that somebody finds a way to mod the wiiware version. Maybe it won't be in a handy downloadable program, but anything's possible. However, that doesn't mean it will be easy.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:40 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well, they have already managed to un-compress all the data including TSC and sprites, which makes up 90% of general modding anyway. If you could re-compress that... somehow?

Alternatively, you could just

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:43 AM
The translations are different in their own ways. I find Nicalis' translation easier to understand, while AG's added distinguishing characteristics to the character dialog.

As for an editor, that'd be awesome, however unlikely. If it does indeed get released, it'd bring a whole new level of custom maps from other players.

Captain Fabulous said:
Because let's face it, the facelift is the only thing we can all agree is a good thing.
...and I thought pretty much everybody agreed that Curly was a chubby, burger eating fatty fat fat? (starting back in post #134 of this thread)

Noxid said:
I mean, there's hardly any significant changes other than Toroko's face, and the scaling down of everything else would basically just get us what we've already got, but maybe a bit sloppier looking.
Wait, I thought you managed to get double resolution Cave Story up and running back on a different thread?

Noxid said:
Alternatively, you could just
Yes? Go on.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:52 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
I couldn't find a video of the credits :(
Is there a video/does anyone have one?

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:55 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Wouldn't it be easier just to play CS on the PC instead of modding the wii version? It seems like a huge waste of time...

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:57 AM
Messing with computers and stuff is just a hobby for people. It certainly isn't any more of a waste of time as playing the game itself. I like modding things. I have a modded DS and I'm going to mod my Wii as soon as the warranty expires.