Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:15 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Okey. I'll link it in the music thread. Thank you.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:44 AM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Chaddykins said:
@Meta- I just finished the game and in the credits there's a LOT of people listed that helped work on the project so my comment still stands strong :(

Oh, my comment wasn't sarcastic. I was actually surprised a few people had actually played it and had real rage instead of most people just viewing videos on YouTube or wherever.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jackalope said:
I found all the new CS music. Like, ripped from the game. Is it okay to link to here, or does that fall under illegal distribution?
It most likely does. Ask Tyrone.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Re: Cave Story Officially Announced for WiiWare

So remember that time when I said all of this stuff would happen and then it did?

Yeah, those were the days.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:28 PM
/end

So, remember when like a lot of people said a remake to most games would fail?

Yeah, those were the days.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:48 PM
"Huzzah!"

Fire1052 said:
So remember that time when I said all of this stuff would happen and then it did?

Yeah, shame it's only in your head.
Yeah shame that general truth isn't possible.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:46 PM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

huh, I actually generally love remakes and ports of games that I enjoy so much that I'd play over again, even if there are some problems. For example, Mega Man Anniversary Collection back a few years ago was very one of the games I was the most excited for, like, ever. Sure, I could have emulated every game on that collection before it even came out, but I don't know, I have a thing for owning games I'm that big of a fan of. I remember there being a couple problems, like only options for making the games LESS challenging for the most part, NONE of the awesome Complete Works remixes on the Gamecube version, and Mega Man 7 having all kinds of port problems.. but my gosh, I still really, really loved that collection. A better example would probably be Chrono Trigger DS; it had all the awesome stuff the PS1 version added, but none of the lag, and a way awesome brand new translation, and even brand new areas and quests AND a new ending. Damn, that was one golden port.

Of course, Cave Story could've been treated better than this, especially given the massive amount of time Nicalis has had Tyrone living in Japan being corny as hell (I hate that Pixel interview when like 70% of the thing is just Tyrone being stupid..) but... well, I dunno. If it's possible for them to 'patch' a WiiWare game, it could definitely be salvaged, and I really LIKE what new stuff they DID add.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:31 PM
Jay City said:
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3178453&p=44

Perfect Score by 1UP.

(Because, in the end, it's Cave Story.)

yeah, it got, what, an 8.5 from IGN? Which is pretty great considering how strict they can be from time to time?

I think in the end it's more that a lot of people are going to get to experience Cave Story for the first time; sure, there's a lot of small bugs, but overall the new POSITIVE additions and the ability to play it on a real console officially with a great default control scheme and all that... I guess it outweighs all the little things (as numerous as they may be) that us old farts have to gripe about

I'll still hope for a patch, as unlikely as it may be. Perhaps our PAL/JPN friends will get the luckier ends of the stick

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:53 PM
"Huzzah!"
Yes it got an 8.5 from IGN, the main negative just the fact that you could get a free version on a PC.

And the patch is more likely than you might think.
There IS a patch system for the wii, there were patched games, like the US version of Bit.Trip.beat (the pal didn't have the problem), i don't know how strict are Nintendo about that, but all of the severe bugs are related to the map system using the new graphics, so in a way they might permit a patch for those, at least.
But knowing Nintendo, if there is a patch, you might only see after the PAL release.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:14 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
dhuron said:
About the video: 4:00-4:18 he talks about DLC and this "secret" mode that times sacred grounds, which is obviously the nikumaru counter. Does this mean they're taking the counter out in the wiiware release? I really don't like this guy.
My guess would've been that, in addition to the normal way of timing hell, there'd be a mode in which you start in the Sacred Grounds.

And it looks like I guessed right, eh?

Fahrenheight said:
Do you know what the heck is this?

EDIT: err I mean, is this the new mode they were talking about? with new color scheme Qoute?
That image makes me wonder... if there's a screen where you choose weapons, is it now possible to have all weapons simultaneously? (Not in the course of normal gameplay, of course; but by hacking save files or whatever.)

Vercci said:
My first impression about the translation was "Wow. They really should've gotten that proofread." There are numerous instances of a period followed by a lowercase letter, where the period should be a comma. (Alternately, the letter could be uppercased in some of those situations.)

Apart from that (and the fact that "Huzzah!" is really more interesting than "Oh yeah!"), it seems okay. I watched with my audio muted, so I can't comment much on that.

100killer9 said:
I really hate how they put a commentary over the thing. It even hacks your Wii to do it on the menu!
Obviously it's part of the game. Who would lp a game with commentary the day it cones out?
[/annoying]
The commentary really annoyed me too. I don't care what that person thinks of the game; I want to watch a playthrough to form my own opinion. That means a playthrough without commentary.

I don't see what you mean by hacking your Wii there, though. I was assuming that the commentary was recorded separately from the game (unless the person set up a video camera pointing at his TV screen).

ragnaroq said:
Anyway, lol, ripping it to PC... sadly, that would be pretty awesome if Nicalis isn't able to 'patch' the game (which may be likely considering how damn weird Nintendo is with matters like that) and players are able to fix all the errors so that we can enjoy everything new the Wii version adds without dealing with any of the problems.
I'd definitely like someone to copy the .wad file to their computer and try it under Dolphin. And if it works, record a complete playthrough. Recording would presumably be easier when it's running in an emulator, anyway.

ragnaroq said:
I'd love for modders to add things that should've been in the Wii version but weren't, too, like Easy/Hard/Boss/Time Attack modes for Curly, and hopefully more save files so completists like me could have a file for every possible equipment combination on every possible difficulty as either character or someething equally completely pointless!
Dolphin would probably give you save state, though I haven't been able to get it to work so I can't say for sure.

Jackalope said:
I found all the new CS music. Like, ripped from the game. Is it okay to link to here, or does that fall under illegal distribution?
Pretty sure it's illegal.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:26 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Just got through beating it on Hard mode :x

Nothing special happens. Just stay on normal and have a not crazy looking sprite for Quote.

It's kinda funny though, they didn't manage to take out ALL the Heart Capsules =o The one you get from the dog in the Plantation is still there. (I ended up not taking it but it's there regardless) I wonder if that's intentional or not, but I'm leaning toward not.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:45 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
I'm leaning towards so, because hard mode was always said to make you play MOST of the game with 3HP.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:56 AM
Slacker
I was leaning towards no because it's the only life capsule you get without actually just picking it straight up off the ground. That seems more than just coincidental.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:57 AM
I'm guessing they aren't completely using tsc, or edited it so on hard mode, it deletes every heart capsule entity, but since you never deal with one with the dog, it slipped through.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:03 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
My joke was that the commentary was part of the game, since no intelligent person would let's play a game before people could get familiar with the game (not to mention some countries not being able to buy the game)

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:42 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
http://tinycartridge.com/post/469336063/cave-story-wiiwares-jacked-up-music - THIS
Apparently not all hope is lost, more or less the initial release is just very buggy.

It looks like they're planning to fix it too. And they're considering removing the horrible abomination of "Oh yeah!!!"

Maybe this will make it so I'm not as disappointed. Whenever they plan to release a patch, that is.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:48 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Whew, that's a relief. I juSt assumed the music was a "new direction" and it was "the new way of looking at cave story," luckily we can have our drums and eat them too.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:42 AM
Mar 24, 2010 at 7:09 AM
Slacker
How did they not catch this? What?

Yknow if you want a lot of people to play Cave Story for the first time and enjoy it, you should probably look into actually playtesting it or something...