WTF story demo v 0.504

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:51 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: WTF story demo v 0.5

It must be a tsc issue that I'll have to fix.

Did you get the rpg? If you didn't that's probably what broke it :S.

(you should just hack your save and add in the cube gun).

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

The Missile? Yes. I missed it. Despite all your signs and prodding.

The sign that said "Did you get the missiles yet?" made me say "nope." and continue moving, lol

Good thing I didn't either. Exposed a bug.

Besides, I really have no idea what hex to look for :critter:

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:13 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

Just finished v0.5 earlier today. Here's my review (contains spoilers, obviously):
Snowball Valley:
Gave me a great, fair, challenge. Reminds me of the beginning of Chapter 3 where you have to unlock the doors in order to progress. As a sidenote, I love the penguin and snowman sprites.

Boss:
Very nice design. Took me around five tries to get its behavior down. I was just able to to be careful, stand in one place, and let my right trigger finger take over. If it got too close to me, I would find another safe place and repeat untill dead.
Villiage whose name fails to me at the moment:
Reminds me of a small adventure game. I was just fine after I talked to everybody before I (unknowingly) started the quest. Very enjoyable.

Dream Sequence:
Thank you. Just thank you. Thank you thank you thank you.
Carnival:
Minigames were fun. The only one that annoyed me was the Die Die Galaxy themed game. Unfortunatly, I was able to break it by standing on an edge, equiping the cube gun, and let my trigger finger take over. Rollercoaster minigame was very fun also. The rest just required coordination, platforming, maze solving, and a little bit of luck.

Upgraded item:
New cube gun looks nice. I like the ocsillating effect that it has.
Boss:
I actually lucked out on the boss. He mainly either fired snowballs or just jumped off the screen. I have to admit though, I actually died more on this boss than the worm boss.
Total time... 3 hours total? For just Chapter 5? Either the game is getting harder or my skill is fading.
Final note: Very enjoyable, like the new graphics and music, added a good and fair challenge.
EDIT: Also, there are pretty weird things that can be done with the portal gun. I'll see if I can post a video *eventually.* If not, I could explain that in full detail. Nothing game breaking though.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:22 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Try editing Face.pbm for me and save it as a 1x1 pixel bitmap (with the same name, Face.pbm). If that fixes the issue with Caret.pbm (but breaks the facepics), then I may have an idea about how to go about fixing it.

Nope, still broken :(

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:31 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

Modded Blocky so that he would think I have the tickets lol.

Suggestion: check the mobile call dialogs. When you call Curly during a bossfight she says "we should go to the Carnival".

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:29 AM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Quick question exactly how did you make those b@lrogs appear at the same time?

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:46 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
trickybilly said:
Modded Blocky so that he would think I have the tickets lol.

Suggestion: check the mobile call dialogs. When you call Curly during a bossfight she says "we should go to the Carnival".

I actually didn't put it in yet since nobody seems to actually call Curly :[ She probably has so much to say too.....

Cave story site said:
Quick question exactly how did you make those b@lrogs appear at the same time?

Balrog is just an entity, so you can place as many of them as you want on a map. I just set 2 npcs to type 0 on the map with an event number XXXX, then used <CNP to change them to B@lrogs.

@ShinyElasticBlueTanktop: The portal gun is included to let the player try to break things, although (as you probably noticed) it is removed in the Memory Banks so as to avoid some glitches.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:18 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."

You know, there was a time I used to like penguins and rollercoasters. Then I played the newest version of this and oh god kill it with fire

Really though, good stuff, keep up the good work! All the bugs I caught have already been mentioned.

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM
"Huzzah!"

This game is cool. I had a quick question though. Do you pronounce b@lrog as battle-rog?

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:32 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."

I noticed something wrong with Curly. When I was in the carnival, I got bored and held both arrow keys down. Instead of stopping, she started sliding like she was still on ice.
Overall, great mod.

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:17 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

I have decided to hide this post instead of spoiler it, in order to properly retain its (potential) hugeness. Now with completely inconsistent changes of tense as I try to write things in order as though I've only just done them and then forget that that's what I'm doing!

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

Chapter 1
-Like I said last time, the number of saves in the first area seems a bit pointless, considering the constant checkpoints.
-Made memory banks puzzle easier: IMO this takes a lot of the deviousness out of the puzzle unnecessarily. Were that many people really getting stuck here?

Chapter 2
-Made Tetris bit easier: If it was, I didn't notice.

Chapter 3
-I can't remember if this was changed or not, but I found the 'battle rooms' part really annoying this time around. In the second and third rooms, it's dumb luck whether or not the grey scout robots move toward you or not and killing them is just mindless spam. Not saying they should be made easier so much as less frustrating.
-Added save in Generator: Again, I don't really feel this is necessary. Maybe these parts just feel easier now that I've done them all several times :/
-The third boss is still pretty awkward too. The energetic parts are broken up by gaps spamming the buyobases after everything else is cleared out, so docking their health would help keep the rhythm up.

Chapter 4
-Now with 100% legit completion! It does seem easier than it used to be, although knowing what I'm actually supposed to do probably helped >_> A couple thingies though: when you're near the top of the map the weapon HUD blocks the screen, and the auto-warping is awkward in places, e.g. the three-train section where jumping too high off the top train caused me to warp to the middle when I was just trying to drop down. Otherwise I'm indifferent to it, because with the extra save I didn't really need it there.
-Made System matrix easier and shorter: Again, the way you did this kind of breaks the puzzling part of the puzzle. Through nearly the whole thing the chips in each square will always show the right colour, taking away the reason for checking the signs.

Chapter 5
-Bug find! Talking to Curly again after the very first scene will trigger it again, only with the spots taken by the antagonists vacated.
-It took me a while to figure out what I was meant to do in the Snowball Cavern, but after that (and figuring out the penguins' movement pattern) I eventually got through it. I would say it's definitely the most challenging area so far, if only because of its scope and the slidy snow.
-The worm boss was really pissing me off until I realised I was jumping into a block tile rather than a background one, after which I beat it first try ._. It tends to zigzag and slow down more than it needs to, but I guess that makes up for how damn long it is.
-Halen Deze Lane is a timely change of pace, and a very nice one at that. The snow effect looks tight, and it has those jumpy-uppy style platforms! :D
-GIR you puppy I thought you said this area was a hoax :mad: Oh well, CARNIVALE TIEM
-This is some insane ASM work. They all got on my nerves to some degree (aside from maybe the lucky draw), but they're all done absolutely excellently. I found the magic mirror puzzle especially impressive. Although...
-The one attraction I had issues with was the roller coaster race. From what I could figure out, each cat will only appear a certain distance after you run the previous one off the track, and they will speed up if you get near them unless you jump. If this is true, then (aside from at the very end) the only reason to speed up is to try and make a leap over them, especially when going too fast over the small gaps makes the cart shudder and stop reading jump inputs properly. Not really much of a race :\ After a couple of completions where the 1st place car never even came within my sight I gave up on this ticket.
-I only tried the Snowboss a couple of times before turning on hax. He has waaaay too much health even after using the RPG and my hand was cramping up by the time I got him below 50%.
-As a result, I kind of ruined the effect the ending was meant to have :o I do wish Cave Story mod protagonists would learn that standing on a bridge over any kind of pit is a really really horrible idea. They kinda walked right into that one though, even after hearing about how they were being set up. Not terribly clever :|

As for other stuff: music is great, graphics/art are great (and have been cleaned up nicely for the 2x res addition), new characters are great. I am certain that there is nothing that cannot be improved by the addition of hats and cats :debug: I guess the overarching story hasn't really developed much more but I'm sort of used to that now. They either save it for the end or don't bother with it at all :koron: The bar for what can be accomplished in a CS mod has been raised again, and by now I think this has as much sheer content as anything else ever has. Well done'd, your effort will be appreciated by dozens of niche game enthusiasts from all corners of an obscure fanbase.

And now, by request, a piccie of my doggie:
p45293-0-doggie.jpg

He is a lap dog trapped in a sheep dogs' body, and so he has no idea what to do with himself after graduation :debug:

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:20 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

DoubleThink said:
Chapter 1
-Like I said last time, the number of saves in the first area seems a bit pointless, considering the constant checkpoints.
-Made memory banks puzzle easier: IMO this takes a lot of the deviousness out of the puzzle unnecessarily. Were that many people really getting stuck here?
There are lots of saves because it's the beginning of the game, so it should be easy. And yes, a lot of people were getting stuck there (or rather they were just complaining about checking each chest). Over 50% were I'd say.
DoubleThink said:
Chapter 2
-Made Tetris bit easier: If it was, I didn't notice.
The tetris pieces are no longer instakill, they do one damage. You can still screw yourself over by getting stuck inside one though.
DoubleThink said:
Chapter 3
-I can't remember if this was changed or not, but I found the 'battle rooms' part really annoying this time around. In the second and third rooms, it's dumb luck whether or not the grey scout robots move toward you or not and killing them is just mindless spam. Not saying they should be made easier so much as less frustrating.
-Added save in Generator: Again, I don't really feel this is necessary. Maybe these parts just feel easier now that I've done them all several times :/
-The third boss is still pretty awkward too. The energetic parts are broken up by gaps spamming the buyobases after everything else is cleared out, so docking their health would help keep the rhythm up.
The battle rooms remained the same. Maybe I'll look into fixing that a bit.
The generator had a save since Captain Fabulous complained about that part, and it was a part that I had seen people die at before.
I could probably give the spike generators a bit less hp.
DoubleThink said:
Chapter 4
-Now with 100% legit completion! It does seem easier than it used to be, although knowing what I'm actually supposed to do probably helped >_> A couple thingies though: when you're near the top of the map the weapon HUD blocks the screen, and the auto-warping is awkward in places, e.g. the three-train section where jumping too high off the top train caused me to warp to the middle when I was just trying to drop down. Otherwise I'm indifferent to it, because with the extra save I didn't really need it there.
-Made System matrix easier and shorter: Again, the way you did this kind of breaks the puzzling part of the puzzle. Through nearly the whole thing the chips in each square will always show the right colour, taking away the reason for checking the signs.
I think I'll make it so that jumping too high doesn't activate the screen warp. The HUD does get in the way near the top, I haven't really thought of a way around that (unless I make all the weapon icons smaller again).
People got stuck at the system matrix before since the design was a bit unclear and people had no idea whether what they were doing was right or not. The new puzzle does take away from it a bit, but it's basically the same except instead of checking the sign you check the color. (It does render the sign pretty useless, so it's mostly there for fun)
DoubleThink said:
Chapter 5
-Bug find! Talking to Curly again after the very first scene will trigger it again, only with the spots taken by the antagonists vacated.
-It took me a while to figure out what I was meant to do in the Snowball Cavern, but after that (and figuring out the penguins' movement pattern) I eventually got through it. I would say it's definitely the most challenging area so far, if only because of its scope and the slidy snow.
-The worm boss was really pissing me off until I realised I was jumping into a block tile rather than a background one, after which I beat it first try ._. It tends to zigzag and slow down more than it needs to, but I guess that makes up for how damn long it is.
That bug has been reported.
Snowball Valley is one of the areas with the fewest saves, but overall it isn't too hard otherwise. The enemies are a bit unforgiving, especially with a lack of the booster 2.0.
If the worm boss goes any faster than he does right now I find him annoying.
DoubleThink said:
-Halen Deze Lane is a timely change of pace, and a very nice one at that. The snow effect looks tight, and it has those jumpy-uppy style platforms! :D
-GIR you puppy I thought you said this area was a hoax :mad: Oh well, CARNIVALE TIEM
Part of the hoax was convincing everyone that it was a hoax, only for it to not be a hoax.
DoubleThink said:
-This is some insane ASM work. They all got on my nerves to some degree (aside from maybe the lucky draw), but they're all done absolutely excellently. I found the magic mirror puzzle especially impressive. Although...
-The one attraction I had issues with was the roller coaster race. From what I could figure out, each cat will only appear a certain distance after you run the previous one off the track, and they will speed up if you get near them unless you jump. If this is true, then (aside from at the very end) the only reason to speed up is to try and make a leap over them, especially when going too fast over the small gaps makes the cart shudder and stop reading jump inputs properly. Not really much of a race :\ After a couple of completions where the 1st place car never even came within my sight I gave up on this ticket.
-I only tried the Snowboss a couple of times before turning on hax. He has waaaay too much health even after using the RPG and my hand was cramping up by the time I got him below 50%.
-As a result, I kind of ruined the effect the ending was meant to have :o I do wish Cave Story mod protagonists would learn that standing on a bridge over any kind of pit is a really really horrible idea. They kinda walked right into that one though, even after hearing about how they were being set up. Not terribly clever :|
As I said on the blog, I'm planning on releasing a version with slightly easier minigames. Also I'm going to make the snowboss a bit easier.
The foreshadowing for the ending of chapter 5 is for the player only, so that the player can say "oh I saw that coming!" and feel smart. Also Shades Quote hasn't really proven to be very smart (and neither has Curly).
EDIT: Sample of how the new HUD might look.
p45294-0-wtfstory29b.png

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:36 PM
Been here way too long...

Why do you keep the exp bar on your hud when you can't get exp?

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:38 PM

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I actually didn't put it in yet since nobody seems to actually call Curly :[ She probably has so much to say too.....

The fact that you have to respond to the post points to the contrary.

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:42 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Lace said:
Why do you keep the exp bar on your hud when you can't get exp?

For the spur.

@Seren: Pretty much all of my alpha testers report not calling her, and I don't hear many comments on it :[

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:26 AM

I enjoyed calling her as much as I could in many different places, it was fun up till it started looping itself on the same one, but text cannot go on infinitely. It'd be good if each series of calls ended with her saying "quit calling so much!" Instead of looping.

In general, people not commenting on something means it is working snazzy, or they don't know the function is there. People don't usually use the invo items like that, so it takes getting used to.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:37 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
EDIT: Sample of how the new HUD might look.
You could just expand the top of the map in chapter 4 slightly

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

DoubleThink said:
You could just expand the top of the map in chapter 4 slightly

It gets in the way on fixed camera parts too though. It's been a bit of an issue ever since I changed the HUD because those icons were HUGE.

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:12 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

I've called her alot when I played, maybe I should have been useful and said something.

Then again, I've been a useless tard and haven't played 0.5 yet.