Show off your org music...

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:52 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I liked that fade in effect that the beginning, that sounded very natural. Not bad for a test song, it had a decent sounding tune to it, like it would fit on the title screen for an adventure game or something.

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:19 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Green Hill Zone

Spring Yard Zone

Launch Base Zone Act 1

Panic Puppet Zone Act 2

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:44 PM
Based Member
Whoa, lots of Sonic songs all of the sudden.

The Green Hill one is pretty good. Some of the instruments sound a little bit more high-pitched and "ringy" than their original Sega Genesis counterparts, but other than that, it sounds pretty good.

Your Spring Yard Zone remix sounds more faithful than the Green Hill one, so I guess I'd consider that one a step up from the Green Hill one, even though that one wasn't bad.

My judgement on the Launch Base remix will be less sharp, because I grew up on the PC version of S3K, which has different music there, so the Sega Genesis counterpart of Launch Base isn't as thoroughly ingrained in my brain as the other songs you've remixed here. I think the ORG instruments in this song fit really well, even if it does sound a bit different from the original. The opening with that lower pitched instrument sounds extremely similar to the original, and that higher pitched instrument early on sounds really good with it, even if it sounds a bit different from the original. The drum beat is also very well done.

Once again, I played the PC version of Sonic 3D Blast growing up, which is a port of the Sega Saturn revamp, which has a different soundtrack than the original Sega Genesis release, so I'm not familiar with most of the music in the Genesis version, so I had to look up the original for this one. This remix is pretty good overall, although there are a couple of things holding it back from having that "Keep going! You're almost there!" feeling that I get by listening to the original. First is that the main instrument track sounds a bit lower-pitched and less smooth than the original. It also sounds a little bit more domineering over the other instruments than the original. The instrument that joins in at measure 004 sounds a lot quieter than the original, so maybe this could be improved by having the instruments a bit more balanced.

In any case, nice work. I always enjoy logging on here on a late Friday afternoon after work to see some new ORG creations to listen to. Nice way to start my weekend.

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:52 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Balcony, but tweaked to sound like another song (from another game). Can you guess which?
Spaces In-between, from OMORI

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:28 PM
Based Member
When I was first listening to it, my first guess was
Your Best Friend, from Undertale

But then as I progressed, I figured that couldn't be it. Then I looked at your spoiler
The first several measures do actually sound a lot like that original song. Not bad. I feel like I've heard the title OMORI before, but I don't think I've ever had much exposure to it apart from this song you've linked to.

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:35 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Gator Golf Minigame Intro - Five Nights at Freddy's Security Breach

I tend to do a lot of things that get stuck in my head and this was one of them. The ending is a little off but I think it came out alright.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:49 PM
Based Member
Ah, I never played FNAF, but that song sounds pretty good. I really like the ringing effect that those higher pitched notes have. It has a smooth, pleasant feel to it.

Feb 4, 2022 at 4:38 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
So towards the end of last year, I've made some ORG transcriptions. They're available here.
I'm… not exactly confident that they're any good, and I definitely know I didn't really use drums for a majority of them… but as long as I know I tried, and I had fun, it's something!

• "Castle Oblivion" (Kingdom Hearts)
  • "Dark Castle" (I assume that's its name; I also assume the song's from Nikujin)
  • "Inside Dinosaur Peak" (The Flintstones: The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak!)
  • "Laguna's Palace" (Final Fantasy Legend III)
  • "Night of Fate" (Kingdom Hearts; there's two versions but the only difference is near the end)
  • "The Last Battle" (Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals)
  • "Traverse Town" (Kingdom Hearts)
  • "Translunar Terminus" is just a (minor?) edit of "Moonsong Beta 2001-12-09".

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:11 PM
Based Member
Ah, several ORGs to listen to. Let's go through these one-by-one:
  • "Castle Oblivion" (Kingdom Hearts) - It doesn't quite have that same feel of the original, especially track 2 which feels a bit off, but the song overall still has a dark, mysterious feeling.
  • "Dark Castle" (Nikujin?) - I wasn't able to find the original counterpart for this, but in any case, this one didn't grab me a whole lot. It seemed like it was trying to be an up-beat, exciting piece, but it just felt kind of bland. I did kind of like the rapid notes starting at measure 50, but other than that, this one left much to be desired.
  • "Inside Dinosaur Peak" (The Flintstones: The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak!) - I wasn't able to find the original by the name "Inside Dinosaur Peak," so here's a link to the original. The transcription itself is pretty accurate, but I feel like there's room for improvement in the instrument choice. The way it sounds isn't very chiptune-like. It's sort of in that awkward place between chiptune and synthesized real instruments, which doesn't translate very well for such a simple song.
  • "Laguna's Palace" (Final Fantasy Legend III) - Once again, the original was tricky to find, but I found it. This actually sounds pretty good. The main thing holding it back is that track 3 in the ORG is barely audible. If you could make it more pronounced, then that would not only make it sound better, but also more like the original. It would be a lot of work, but I also think this would sound a lot better if you added a sort of "gradual volume fade" effect to the main instruments.
  • "Night of Fate" (Kingdom Hearts; there's two versions but the only difference is near the end) - This one actually sounds pretty good. The only thing that feels insufficient about it is the lack of any drum tracks.
  • "The Last Battle" (Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals) - There's a lot of room for improvement on this one. Track 3 dominates the song way too much, the volume should be lowered. Track 6 is supposed to lead the song once it starts, but I can barely hear it. I think track 6 would stand out a bit more if you changed it to an instrument that sounds a bit more sharp. As with the previous song, the lack of drums also holds this one back from being as good as it could be.
  • "Traverse Town" (Kingdom Hearts) - This one is pretty good, the instruments are much better balanced in this remix that the two previous ones, and the missing drums don't have as much of a negative impact on this one.
  • "Translunar Terminus" is just a (minor?) edit of "Moonsong Beta 2001-12-09". - Didn't notice much of a difference between this and the original Moonsong, apart from it being fast forwarded, and minor note changes at the end. Not much to comment on here.

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:01 AM
2dbro
Made a few covers recently. There's a significant portion of my orgs floating around on Discord I haven't bothered posting on the forums yet but I thought these might be worth a share here.

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:30 AM
Based Member
@2DBro
These are pretty good. I really like Fallin' Love, it has a nice subtle pace, and the instruments blend together really well. This is the first I've ever heard Slint - Breadcrumb Trail. Your remix itself is pretty good, although I must admit that listening to it wasn't too enjoyable for me; the repetitive, slow nature of the song just doesn't translate well to video game/chiptune music. Slowdive translates a bit better into a chiptune listening experience than the other song. I like the echo-y effect, and I also really like that effect you had with instrument track 7 starting at measure 60, that was pretty cool.

I tried searching the keywords "Fallin' Love ptcDown" and wasn't able to find anything. Was this one an original composition? If so, then extra points to you for making an original ORG composition that sounded pretty good.

@StarlightChaos
Not bad, sounds like you pretty much have the notes right. The main instrument at the beginning sounds pretty similar to the original, but something about it just doesn't quite capture the essence of the original. Most of the other instruments fit pretty well though, and I think the drum beat is pretty good.

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:24 AM
2dbro
@2DBro
These are pretty good. I really like Fallin' Love, it has a nice subtle pace, and the instruments blend together really well. This is the first I've ever heard Slint - Breadcrumb Trail. Your remix itself is pretty good, although I must admit that listening to it wasn't too enjoyable for me; the repetitive, slow nature of the song just doesn't translate well to video game/chiptune music. Slowdive translates a bit better into a chiptune listening experience than the other song. I like the echo-y effect, and I also really like that effect you had with instrument track 7 starting at measure 60, that was pretty cool.

I tried searching the keywords "Fallin' Love ptcDown" and wasn't able to find anything. Was this one an original composition? If so, then extra points to you for making an original ORG composition that sounded pretty good.

@StarlightChaos
Not bad, sounds like you pretty much have the notes right. The main instrument at the beginning sounds pretty similar to the original, but something about it just doesn't quite capture the essence of the original. Most of the other instruments fit pretty well though, and I think the drum beat is pretty good.
Fallin' love is actually a Mother 1 cover, but yeah Slint didn't translate as well as I was expecting it to. Thanks for the feedback!

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:25 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Not bad. Sounds like a faithful transcription as far as notes go. Although this can be hard to do with chiptune music, I feel as if some of the tracks are a bit sharp sounding, and could be tweaked a bit to better mimic the "smooth and soothing" feel in the original song. This can be time-consuming, but I would recommend playing around with the volume fade feature with notes in your ORG. Some example ORGs that use this feature are my ORG remix of "In Dreams" from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, and also GIRakaCHEEZER's ORG remix of Ikachan's theme.
Sorry for replying so late. I forget about checking this thread because no notifications lol.

I assume you're talking about the "stair step" effect in the volume bar making notes trail off smoothly instead of coming to a sharp stop, right? (Sorry I'm not a musician. Forgive the layman terminology.)
I'm about to make another song so I'll definitely play around with this and experiment. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 10:06 PM
Based Member
I assume you're talking about the "stair step" effect in the volume bar making notes trail off smoothly instead of coming to a sharp stop, right? (Sorry I'm not a musician. Forgive the layman terminology.)
I'm about to make another song so I'll definitely play around with this and experiment. Thanks. :)
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. Cool, looking forward to seeing what you put out with the newfound techniques.

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:20 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Ending theme from Space Harrier

.org/.mp3 file

Second time with OrgMaker. Is it just me or does Org2raw and org2xm fudge up the volume mixing? Everything was perfectly adjusted in OrgMaker and when I got it into audacity as .raw and .xm it sounded entirely off. It played eniterly wrong notes at one point. I ended up just recording the audio directly with audacity.

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:56 PM
Based Member
This one sounds pretty good. The drum beat and background tracks are spot-on. I'm glad that I downloaded the ORG file after looking at the youtube version, because you've changed the instrument to something more smooth and high-pitched, which sounds a lot better. Nice to see that you've been playing around with the volume, that definitely enhances the ORG.

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:32 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This one sounds pretty good. The drum beat and background tracks are spot-on. I'm glad that I downloaded the ORG file after looking at the youtube version, because you've changed the instrument to something more smooth and high-pitched, which sounds a lot better. Nice to see that you've been playing around with the volume, that definitely enhances the ORG.
Oh geez... I was really sick of listening to it by the time i finished it. Didn't even notice lol. That's the same instrument, just an octave higher in the ORG version. The YouTube/mp3 is the "Final" mix, but listening to it now the higher octave really does sound nicer.

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:56 PM
Based Member
Took me almost 2 weeks to get to it, but I did get around to listening to those ORGs.

Frank Zappa - Black Napkins. This ORG is enjoyable to listen to, but it doesn't really have the same feel at the original song, and I think the main reason for this is that the main guitar instrument just doesn't have that same vibrant feel that an electric guitar does. Not sure how much you played around with this, and I'm not sure what your aim was. The ORG felt more like a slow and steady jazz song, or something you might hear playing in the background on the weather channel in the late 90's to early 2000's. Putting aside the fact that it doesn't have the same feel, I still enjoyed listening to the ORG itself.

Mario Kart 64 - Rainbow Road. Ah, I remember racing on this track on my cousin's N64 ages ago. Had to re-listen to this song to get familiar with it though. This is a really good remix, this seems to do a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the original. I especially liked the sound effect that you achieved with the rapid notes and shifting volume on track 6, that sounded really good.

Mother 3 - Strong One. Never played the Mother series, so had to look this one up. This one sounds pretty good. It's not a super complex song, so probably wasn't hard to transcribe. I really like that effect you had with tracks 2 and 7 sharply increasing in pitch to synthesize the effect of that one instrument that it's mimicking.

Toejam & Earl - Toejam Jammin'. Lol, I've never heard of this game until now, what a name. This ORG sounds pretty on-point, seems to pretty well capture that adventurous, care-free attitude that I feel when listening to the original while looking at the box art.

Kirby's Adventure - Grape Garden Map. This is a really good remix, this is probably my favorite of the 5 you shared in that post. The instruments you've chosen all fit together very nicely, and the volume effects make it all meld together in a way that makes the listening experience crisp. I especially like the sound of track 2.