100 Worlds (Alpha)

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:45 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
After a few weeks of development and working with other modders, the initial version of 100 Worlds is out for all of you to try!
1627685618076.png

WHAT IS 100 WORLDS?
100 Worlds is a mod made up of several interconnected worlds that can be returned to at any point from the hub, with every world submitted by a modder and inserted into the game. With this user-generated focus, expect the mod to have a lot of variety in level themes as it gets updated!
Currently this mod has 5 worlds, this short Alpha "demo" is more of a proof of concept of the idea to get people interested in submitting something to it, so the mod is a bit short in its current state

do you actually expect to get to 100 worlds
Nope! Think of 100 Worlds as more of a maximum of how many worlds there could be, and it's very likely the final version will have much less, but regardless of how many worlds the total ends up adding up to, I hope this mod turns out to be something fun to explore in the end. (also I called it "100 Worlds" because it's a cooler sounding name than "36 Worlds" or however many the final version will have)

How do I submit worlds?
At the moment, I don't really have any proper level submission thing set up (mainly because I'm unsure about how this is going to be recieved here on the forums lol), but for now you can send a link to an upload to the zip (Drive/Mediafire/Mega etc) in the thread, or you can DM me level zips by messaging me on Discord (current username in my About Me). More info on world submission/rules in WorldInfo.txt

Updates will be released in batches of 5 worlds.

- Autosave (can be disabled)
- Return to Hub from anywhere
- 60 fps (might make this changable)
- custom .ogg soundtrack
- Jukebox Mode

To be added:
- Challenges (room exists but none are in yet)
- Story stuff
- Custom CS+ish title screen, maybe (similar to Carnage Clash's custom title screen)
- Hub NPCs
- And of course, more worlds

With all of that out of the way, here's some screenshots and a download link
Title
1627686381461.png
World 002 by TT7
1627686488808.png
World 003 by Eli
1627686600498.png
World 005 by AsperDev_

1627686835072.png

Of course, if you have any feedback on the mod in its current state, let me know!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 2:23 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is a super cool idea! It seems like a great creative outlet for some smaller ideas. Can't wait to see how this turns out going forward!

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:11 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ah, so this must be the mod I've been seeing glimpses of. Nice to see a demo here. That's a really interesting concept how you have a bunch of people submit different worlds to build out this mod. Sounds like you'll be kind of playing it by ear on how many worlds this mod ends up with. I'll be interested to see how this evolves. When people submit these worlds, do you have a plan on then molding them so that they all fit together to form some sort of cohesive, overarching narrative?

I probably won't be making a submission to this, but I'm very intrigued by your creative approach, and I'll try to give this mod a go some time this weekend if I can.

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:33 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Ah, so this must be the mod I've been seeing glimpses of. Nice to see a demo here. That's a really interesting concept how you have a bunch of people submit different worlds to build out this mod. Sounds like you'll be kind of playing it by ear on how many worlds this mod ends up with. I'll be interested to see how this evolves. When people submit these worlds, do you have a plan on then molding them so that they all fit together to form some sort of cohesive, overarching narrative?

I probably won't be making a submission to this, but I'm very intrigued by your creative approach, and I'll try to give this mod a go some time this weekend if I can.
Thanks! What will likely be my process going forward for adding these worlds in would be looking at the most recent 5 world submissions and inserting them in an order that would make the most sense. I don't plan on adding any overarching story in the worlds themselves but I'm planning on having some lore and backstory about the Hub along with how the protagonist got there as I update the mod

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:30 PM
Based Member
Just played this demo, and I enjoyed it. There wasn't much of a story or dialogue, but you mentioned that you plan on adding some lore and backstory later, so I guess the main focus for this demo is the current gameplay and world building. The gameplay was pretty fun and engaging, the music was excellent, and the mod overall felt pretty polished. I like the new mechanics you introduced in this mod, such as autosave, saving on the spot, and returning to the hub. Putting aside a few holes I was able to poke, the scripting was pretty well done, and you clearly took a lot of time to handle some of the edge cases of player behavior. I cracked a smile when I purposefully attempted to enter world 1 without a gun and was told that I should probably get something to defend myself first.

I really liked the music in this mod. The music on the main menu immediately resonated with me, so I decided to hang around before starting a new game just to listen to the main menu music. It made me feel nostalgic because it made me think of the music from Seiklus. The first 10 seconds made me think of "Rainy Summerdays" from Seiklus, and the part shortly following made me think of "Sanxion / Thalamusik", also from the Seiklus ost. I really liked your use of a leitmotif of the mod's main theme that gets re-used in the music for when you die. It remixed the mod's main theme, but with a slower and more somber tone. The dying music was pretty good, but there's a part of me that feels like you could change the death music to sound a bit more somber still, maybe by lowering the pitch of some notes, or by slowing it down some more, or maybe both. Right as I was finishing the demo and returned to the hub, I then realized that this same leitmotif is also used in the music for the hub. Nice job, I like that sense of familiarity that you build throughout different parts of the game's music. When I first started playing the mod, I felt that sense of familiarity on a subconscious level, but couldn't place my finger on why at first.

It's interesting how you roughly have some things in place for future releases. The challenge room intrigued me, since it requires you to have explored certain worlds before entering those challenges. Do you already have any rough ideas in your head for what some of those challenges might look like? The Juke Box room could probably do with a bit of tweaking, since I went in there at the beginning out of curiosity, but then wanted to immediately get out once I realized what I had discovered, because I didn't want to hear any of the game's later music until I experienced it at the appropriate time, and I had to scroll through the different songs before I could exit.

Slightly more spoilery details:
I was a little bit surprised by the fact that the worlds are directly interconnected the way they are. I was expecting to be sent back to the hub in between worlds. I think it would be cool to be automatically sent back to the hub, at least every 5 worlds or so.

So, I recognize that these worlds were created by other users, but as the creator of this mod, you're ultimately responsible for quality control of the content that ends up in your mod, so I'll give feedback on the worlds as if the feedback is directed at you.

I was a little bit surprised by how quick the first world was, but I guess the first level is expected to be quick. I thought world 2 was okay. It obviously utilized a tileset that looked much like Ikachan. While the level design wasn't bad, it didn't feel like there was much of a meaningful sense of exploration. It was a matter of either going around in circles, or finding the door to world 3. There were some areas where I was expecting my exploration to be rewarded with some item or something, and it simply ended up being a dead end. The aesthetics of world 2 were pretty good though.

The music in worlds 1 and 2 didn't do much for me, but I liked the music in world 3. I liked the effect of the bats being slightly cloaked in darkness, that was a neat effect. It was just enough blending to add a cool effect, but not so much of a blending that I couldn't see the bats.
I have a minor complaint with this little part in world 3:
CSMod100Worlds-01.png
While the sign did clearly say not to fall, the way this little drop-off is structured here makes it seem like there's something underneath that's meant to be explored. It's cool when platformers hint at a secret by showing something out of the corner of your eye that requires you to take a leap of faith, and it's a pretty big rush when that faith gets rewarded, so the design of this area kind of threw me off.

I have a similar complaint for these 2 parts in world 4:
CSMod100Worlds-02.pngCSMod100Worlds-03.png

I think my complaint here is even more justified, given that the sign in world 4 is more vague, saying "watch your step" instead of "don't fall". And that these parts look even more like a place that you're supposed to go to. Putting aside this complaint, I liked the music and tileset in world 4.

I really liked world 5. It has neat visuals, good respriting of the enemies from Plantation, and pretty good level design. Unlike worlds 2 and 3, there was a meaningful progression where I didn't start to feel like I was going in circles. That last jump might be a bit tricky, but since you can save at any time, I guess it's not a big deal. I was fortunate enough to get it on my first try, but just barely. I reached the end where it said "Looks like there's nothing on the other side of this door yet...", so that must be the end of the demo.

And lastly, here's a couple miscellaneous bug reports/comments:
-One glitch I discovered was that when I went to the challenge room, and tried to use the "return to hub" feature, it made me disappear, but I stayed in the challenge room, and I had to reset the game to get out.
-As another critique, if you're already in the hub, then maybe you could add some event that says something like "You're already in the hub!" and does nothing if you try to select the "return to hub" option.

Jul 31, 2021 at 7:34 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Just played this demo, and I enjoyed it. There wasn't much of a story or dialogue, but you mentioned that you plan on adding some lore and backstory later, so I guess the main focus for this demo is the current gameplay and world building. The gameplay was pretty fun and engaging, the music was excellent, and the mod overall felt pretty polished. I like the new mechanics you introduced in this mod, such as autosave, saving on the spot, and returning to the hub. Putting aside a few holes I was able to poke, the scripting was pretty well done, and you clearly took a lot of time to handle some of the edge cases of player behavior. I cracked a smile when I purposefully attempted to enter world 1 without a gun and was told that I should probably get something to defend myself first.

I really liked the music in this mod. The music on the main menu immediately resonated with me, so I decided to hang around before starting a new game just to listen to the main menu music. It made me feel nostalgic because it made me think of the music from Seiklus. The first 10 seconds made me think of "Rainy Summerdays" from Seiklus, and the part shortly following made me think of "Sanxion / Thalamusik", also from the Seiklus ost. I really liked your use of a leitmotif of the mod's main theme that gets re-used in the music for when you die. It remixed the mod's main theme, but with a slower and more somber tone. The dying music was pretty good, but there's a part of me that feels like you could change the death music to sound a bit more somber still, maybe by lowering the pitch of some notes, or by slowing it down some more, or maybe both. Right as I was finishing the demo and returned to the hub, I then realized that this same leitmotif is also used in the music for the hub. Nice job, I like that sense of familiarity that you build throughout different parts of the game's music. When I first started playing the mod, I felt that sense of familiarity on a subconscious level, but couldn't place my finger on why at first.

It's interesting how you roughly have some things in place for future releases. The challenge room intrigued me, since it requires you to have explored certain worlds before entering those challenges. Do you already have any rough ideas in your head for what some of those challenges might look like? The Juke Box room could probably do with a bit of tweaking, since I went in there at the beginning out of curiosity, but then wanted to immediately get out once I realized what I had discovered, because I didn't want to hear any of the game's later music until I experienced it at the appropriate time, and I had to scroll through the different songs before I could exit.

Slightly more spoilery details:
I was a little bit surprised by the fact that the worlds are directly interconnected the way they are. I was expecting to be sent back to the hub in between worlds. I think it would be cool to be automatically sent back to the hub, at least every 5 worlds or so.

So, I recognize that these worlds were created by other users, but as the creator of this mod, you're ultimately responsible for quality control of the content that ends up in your mod, so I'll give feedback on the worlds as if the feedback is directed at you.

I was a little bit surprised by how quick the first world was, but I guess the first level is expected to be quick. I thought world 2 was okay. It obviously utilized a tileset that looked much like Ikachan. While the level design wasn't bad, it didn't feel like there was much of a meaningful sense of exploration. It was a matter of either going around in circles, or finding the door to world 3. There were some areas where I was expecting my exploration to be rewarded with some item or something, and it simply ended up being a dead end. The aesthetics of world 2 were pretty good though.

The music in worlds 1 and 2 didn't do much for me, but I liked the music in world 3. I liked the effect of the bats being slightly cloaked in darkness, that was a neat effect. It was just enough blending to add a cool effect, but not so much of a blending that I couldn't see the bats.
I have a minor complaint with this little part in world 3:
View attachment 7946
While the sign did clearly say not to fall, the way this little drop-off is structured here makes it seem like there's something underneath that's meant to be explored. It's cool when platformers hint at a secret by showing something out of the corner of your eye that requires you to take a leap of faith, and it's a pretty big rush when that faith gets rewarded, so the design of this area kind of threw me off.

I have a similar complaint for these 2 parts in world 4:
View attachment 7947View attachment 7949

I think my complaint here is even more justified, given that the sign in world 4 is more vague, saying "watch your step" instead of "don't fall". And that these parts look even more like a place that you're supposed to go to. Putting aside this complaint, I liked the music and tileset in world 4.

I really liked world 5. It has neat visuals, good respriting of the enemies from Plantation, and pretty good level design. Unlike worlds 2 and 3, there was a meaningful progression where I didn't start to feel like I was going in circles. That last jump might be a bit tricky, but since you can save at any time, I guess it's not a big deal. I was fortunate enough to get it on my first try, but just barely. I reached the end where it said "Looks like there's nothing on the other side of this door yet...", so that must be the end of the demo.

And lastly, here's a couple miscellaneous bug reports/comments:
-One glitch I discovered was that when I went to the challenge room, and tried to use the "return to hub" feature, it made me disappear, but I stayed in the challenge room, and I had to reset the game to get out.
-As another critique, if you're already in the hub, then maybe you could add some event that says something like "You're already in the hub!" and does nothing if you try to select the "return to hub" option.
Thanks for all the feedback!!! Here's some comments on some of them:

"The Juke Box room could probably do with a bit of tweaking, since I went in there at the beginning out of curiosity, but then wanted to immediately get out once I realized what I had discovered, because I didn't want to hear any of the game's later music until I experienced it at the appropriate time, and I had to scroll through the different songs before I could exit."
I actually moved the jukebox/challenge room signs to be closer to their entrances than towards the beginning of the hub about an hour after I released Alpha 0.1 as I figured that might avoid a similar situation to this. Might also explain more how the Jukebox room works in a quick intro message before it begins cycling through the soundtrack. Would've made it possible to quit out of it at any time but I don't think that's possible without some assembly hacking

"challenge room intrigued me, since it requires you to have explored certain worlds before entering those challenges. Do you already have any rough ideas in your head for what some of those challenges might look like?"
Pretty much my idea for the challenge room is, after visiting a certain amount of worlds you'll unlock a challenge that you have to beat to get an item, with challenges like "get to the end in this time," "survive as long as you can", etc, and when you complete each challenge you unlock something to make exploration easier, some ideas for challenge rewards being the "double jumper" (booster 0.8 that boosts once), the arms barrier, a portable healing station that can only be used once every 5 minutes(?), etc

"I was a little bit surprised by the fact that the worlds are directly interconnected the way they are. I was expecting to be sent back to the hub in between worlds. I think it would be cool to be automatically sent back to the hub, at least every 5 worlds or so."
I plan all of the worlds to be interconnected in some way. Some worlds might lead directly to the next one, one might jump forward a few worlds through a door, a door might lead backwards a few worlds to a hidden area containing an item, and more. However, while you are in the worlds, the only way to return to the hub is to use the item in your inventory. I might add messages that appear whenever a challenge is unlocked, or when a new part of the hub is unlocked when discovering certain worlds to encourage the player to return to the hub

"I was a little bit surprised by how quick the first world was, but I guess the first level is expected to be quick"
I guess World 001 is more of an introduction level than an actual world, lol
Originally I was thinking of the door at the end leading to a random world, when the game was meant to be more open world-ish (unsure how I'd even code that) but as I worked on the mod I realized having worlds mostly go more linearly would help keep the difficulty curve be more consistent

"I thought world 2 was okay. It obviously utilized a tileset that looked much like Ikachan. While the level design wasn't bad, it didn't feel like there was much of a meaningful sense of exploration. It was a matter of either going around in circles, or finding the door to world 3. There were some areas where I was expecting my exploration to be rewarded with some item or something, and it simply ended up being a dead end. The aesthetics of world 2 were pretty good though."
TT7, the creator of World 002 admitted that he felt it was unfinished when he submitted it to me as he planned it to be a little larger and he said he might improve it on his own. I'll add the updated version once he's finished with it and I'll release it with the next batch of 5 worlds.
Part of the reason why it might feel like there should be an item when there wasn't because at the very bottom of the level was originally going to be the air tank, but I asked him to remove it to be an unlockable for later.

- on world 3 and 4, I'll tweak those areas on my own to fix those confusing death pits, lol

"-One glitch I discovered was that when I went to the challenge room, and tried to use the "return to hub" feature, it made me disappear, but I stayed in the challenge room, and I had to reset the game to get out."
Whoops!!! How hub teleports are handled are by teleporting the player to 0,0 and having a null NPC finish the teleport, because using <TRA inside of the inventory loop breaks TSC loading due to how TSC in the inventory works. I forgot to add the entity in that room specifically it seems. Will fix

"-As another critique, if you're already in the hub, then maybe you could add some event that says something like "You're already in the hub!" and does nothing if you try to select the "return to hub" option."
I was thinking of changing how it works in the hub to instead just teleport you to the default spawn location without the fading out and back in, just in case you somehow got stuck

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:27 PM
Based Member
I actually moved the jukebox/challenge room signs to be closer to their entrances than towards the beginning of the hub about an hour after I released Alpha 0.1 as I figured that might avoid a similar situation to this.
Yeah, that will be good. I missed those signs when I first started exploring, so having a sign right outside will prevent others from making the same mistake I did.

Pretty much my idea for the challenge room is, after visiting a certain amount of worlds you'll unlock a challenge that you have to beat to get an item, with challenges like "get to the end in this time," "survive as long as you can", etc, and when you complete each challenge you unlock something to make exploration easier, some ideas for challenge rewards being the "double jumper" (booster 0.8 that boosts once), the arms barrier, a portable healing station that can only be used once every 5 minutes(?), etc
Cool, sounds like that will be fun.

Sounds like you've got a pretty solid plan on where to go next and things to improve on, so I'm excited to see what comes of this. I might not play every release, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this mod.

Aug 3, 2021 at 9:53 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
The idea caught my attention; seeing various people contribute a level for it. But your music inspired me to work on a level too! So I hope to have something ready hopefully soon~:sue:
Oh and something random: to challenge myself I replayed through the levels with 1 hp without shooting anything... And blazes... that final area was hell....... bugs in my dreams now

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:55 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The idea caught my attention; seeing various people contribute a level for it. But your music inspired me to work on a level too! So I hope to have something ready hopefully soon~:sue:
awesome! Excited to see what you make :)
Oh and something random: to challenge myself I replayed through the levels with 1 hp without shooting anything... And blazes... that final area was hell....... bugs in my dreams now
Yeah haha, it's really hard for me too, the life capsule was originally meant to give 3 hp but I changed it to 5 due to the difficulty of the final area, I'm thinking I'll remove a little bit of the enemies just to lessen the difficulty spike a bit

Aug 4, 2021 at 1:45 AM
Based Member
But your music inspired me to work on a level too! So I hope to have something ready hopefully soon~:sue:
I'll be interested to see what you come up with, X-Calibar. You always had a very interesting and artistic level design style. You also had endless ideas/concepts of Cave Story mod content, but never really put out much of a solid mod, so it will be cool to see something tangible come out of you.

Aug 5, 2021 at 7:51 AM
Indie game enthusiast
I'll be interested to see what you come up with, X-Calibar. You always had a very interesting and artistic level design style. You also had endless ideas/concepts of Cave Story mod content, but never really put out much of a solid mod, so it will be cool to see something tangible come out of you.
Thanks Hayden. In a world where there is constant new content being released, and having a library grow faster than is being played... and with everything else vying for your time, it is so easy becoming a consumer rather than a developer... :X A part of me regrets jumping from one game to another in endless succession... So many scrapped ideas... That said~
Look forward to the level. Hopefully it will satisfy!

PS: The tileset can only be 256x256 right? NEed more lol

awesome! Excited to see what you make :)

Yeah haha, it's really hard for me too, the life capsule was originally meant to give 3 hp but I changed it to 5 due to the difficulty of the final area, I'm thinking I'll remove a little bit of the enemies just to lessen the difficulty spike a bit
Tempted to post a screenshot, but better wait xD More fun that way and it'll ensure it's completed!

As for difficulty... hopefully there will be many more submitted levels before the mod is finished :D If that's the case, it makes sense to lessen the difficulty in the early levels... Though, if there ends up not being many, better make it tough as nails
Code:
>:)
(...well could always create a new game+ flag? Use the ole enemy spawns if flag is set. Squeeze out the replay value!)

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:37 AM
Based Member
Aug 6, 2021 at 5:01 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
PS: The tileset can only be 256x256 right? NEed more lol
At the moment the max is 256x256, but I could increase the max tileset size with a hack if needed

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:54 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
At the moment the max is 256x256, but I could increase the max tileset size with a hack if needed
16x16 tiles in .pxa files is a rather hard limit. Adding more than 256 tiles (stored as a byte in .pxm's) requires both hacking the game AND an editor, since no editor supports .pxm's that need two bytes per tile.

Unless you mean changing the game resolution (which would make it larger than 256x pixels technically, but still 16x tiles with the tiles just being bigger) but considering the first 5 maps are already at normal 1x resolution, changing that would require altering all the graphics that already exist in the mod.

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:22 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
16x16 tiles in .pxa files is a rather hard limit. Adding more than 256 tiles (stored as a byte in .pxm's) requires both hacking the game AND an editor, since no editor supports .pxm's that need two bytes per tile.

Unless you mean changing the game resolution (which would make it larger than 256x pixels technically, but still 16x tiles with the tiles just being bigger) but considering the first 5 maps are already at normal 1x resolution, changing that would require altering all the graphics that already exist in the mod.
Ohh, I've never really ran out of tiles so I was unaware there was a hard limit for pxas, that's good to know

Aug 7, 2021 at 11:39 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
This mod is very promising, when I read the concept and actually played it, I was surprised of how much it works. Each level has it's unique tileset but feels like it's made by the same person, or maybe I just got stuck at the levels TT7 made lol.

Why is this here? There's a dead end in the middle of the water at the top down of the level, at first I wondered if this was a possible spawn point but then I realized, apart of getting an air-tank, no way you would spawn here without suffocation.
100 Worlds 07_08_2021 12_13_01.png
I'm not a fan of the fact we get a pistolet, especially since it's just the polar star but more bland.
Capture.PNG
I was confused if this was a MetroidVania, I originally thought that one world, was like a bunch of levels connected to one each other and then you get some item to be able to access the next world, and I thought that hey, it'd be cool if future worlds (two or three etc..) had items that could have been used in the first world, like that you could go deeper and deeper into one of them, of course that would be hard to coordinate, I don't know how the project is handled and from my guess, it's mostly just give a map through Mega and bam, it's shipped. But I think that if there was a system with locked doors or something of that kind and you needed an item from another world to be able to advance would be a great idea and give some minor backtracking maybe but it would be a for a good cause (plus backtracking isn't a bad thing if it isn't jarring or not fun)
I dig that there's a jukebox room, like a lot, the orgview in cave story had slightly more compressed instruments so the original one of Cave Story sounds good.

Aug 7, 2021 at 6:20 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
This mod is very promising, when I read the concept and actually played it, I was surprised of how much it works. Each level has it's unique tileset but feels like it's made by the same person, or maybe I just got stuck at the levels TT7 made lol.

Why is this here? There's a dead end in the middle of the water at the top down of the level, at first I wondered if this was a possible spawn point but then I realized, apart of getting an air-tank, no way you would spawn here without suffocation.
View attachment 7952
I'm not a fan of the fact we get a pistolet, especially since it's just the polar star but more bland.
View attachment 7953
I was confused if this was a MetroidVania, I originally thought that one world, was like a bunch of levels connected to one each other and then you get some item to be able to access the next world, and I thought that hey, it'd be cool if future worlds (two or three etc..) had items that could have been used in the first world, like that you could go deeper and deeper into one of them, of course that would be hard to coordinate, I don't know how the project is handled and from my guess, it's mostly just give a map through Mega and bam, it's shipped. But I think that if there was a system with locked doors or something of that kind and you needed an item from another world to be able to advance would be a great idea and give some minor backtracking maybe but it would be a for a good cause (plus backtracking isn't a bad thing if it isn't jarring or not fun)
I dig that there's a jukebox room, like a lot, the orgview in cave story had slightly more compressed instruments so the original one of Cave Story sounds good.
Thanks for the feedback!
"Why is this here? There's a dead end in the middle of the water at the top down of the level, at first I wondered if this was a possible spawn point but then I realized, apart of getting an air-tank, no way you would spawn here without suffocation."
Originally, when TT7 gave me the world files there was an airtank there, but I wanted to save that for an item you can get through the challenge room, leaving that section of the map empty, leading nowhere. I'll probably just remove that part this next update since it's no longer in use
"I was confused if this was a MetroidVania, I originally thought that one world, was like a bunch of levels connected to one each other and then you get some item to be able to access the next world, and I thought that hey, it'd be cool if future worlds (two or three etc..) had items that could have been used in the first world, like that you could go deeper and deeper into one of them, of course that would be hard to coordinate, I don't know how the project is handled and from my guess, it's mostly just give a map through Mega and bam, it's shipped. But I think that if there was a system with locked doors or something of that kind and you needed an item from another world to be able to advance would be a great idea and give some minor backtracking maybe but it would be a for a good cause (plus backtracking isn't a bad thing if it isn't jarring or not fun)"
At the moment, it isn't really metroidvania-ish and more just exploring worlds and finding the entrance to the next, or in the future finding doors leading back a few levels to find an item inaccessible before or vice versa for worlds ahead. While there won't be many items found in the worlds themselves (I'm planning on hiding life pots or NPCs in certain worlds however) the challenges will eventually allow you to get items that can make exploration easier (ex. double jumper, arms barrier, a portable healing station, the double jumper being the most important one) the double jumper will allow for exploration of otherwise inaccessible paths in later worlds and maybe items otherwise impossible to grab in earlier ones, for example the terminal at the beginning of World 001 will do something eventually...
"I dig that there's a jukebox room, like a lot, the orgview in cave story had slightly more compressed instruments so the original one of Cave Story sounds good."
Thanks! the jukebox room was added kinda at the last minute because I wanted to add an extra room to the Hub aside from the challenge room, since I was making custom music for this mod I thought it'd be nice to have a room to be able to listen to the music wtihout going to one of the worlds where the song plays. Might rework it with flags though so that it only plays songs you have discovered

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:52 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Sadly don't know if I'll be able to complete it as I intended... But here are some spoiler screenshots that I said I wasn't going to do lol
Still, will try to see if I can finish some more later.
p376114-0-spoilers1.png

p376114-1-spoilers2.png

p376114-2-spoilers3.png

p376114-3-spoilers4.png

p376114-4-spoilers5.png

p376114-5-spoilers6.png

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:31 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Sadly don't know if I'll be able to complete it as I intended... But here are some spoiler screenshots that I said I wasn't going to do lol
Still, will try to see if I can finish some more later.
p376114-0-spoilers1.png

p376114-1-spoilers2.png

p376114-2-spoilers3.png

p376114-3-spoilers4.png

p376114-4-spoilers5.png

p376114-5-spoilers6.png
this looks really cool so far!! Will this level have any enemies?

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:53 AM
Indie game enthusiast
this looks really cool so far!! Will this level have any enemies?
:heart: Thanks Aqua.
Indeed some... though it may be a surprise! Have any requests?
PS- I will try to make the level short enough to quickly pass through, but add extra to do if you decide to explore.