Show off your org music...

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
This is Desire Drive from the game Ten Desires.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?z80sy8y039pj89n

I did not use OrgMaker 1 or 2 to create this. Wrap your head around that for a moment.

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:19 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So I've pretty much not been doing anything productive at all since I got back from vacation. All I've been doing lately is play Halo 2 for the past two weeks. It's been a while since I really appreciated the campaign mode this much. After all that Halo playing, I decided to make an ORG remix of the Halo theme.

[offtopic]Think it's absolutely retarded that Microsoft hasn't released Halo 3 for the PC yet, because I have no idea what happens after Master Chief tells Hood he's gonna finish the fight.[/offtopic]

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:29 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
There's a bit more dissonance than I remember.

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:40 AM
Based Member
There's a bit more dissonance than I remember.
Eh, yeah. I've still got a ways to go with this whole music making thing. Care to point out any places of particular dissonance?

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:46 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Not bat at all. As far as the dissonance goes, it's tricky because the soundtrack recording has a lot of dissonance but it's masked because of the fact that they are real instruments and they have better balancing than you do at the moment. You might try playing around with the balancing down the sustained notes, especially when you have several sustained notes that are close together (e.g. pickups to measure 10, measures 44 to the end). You might also play around some with the instrument list; some sounds clash more than others when they are in tight harmonies like that.

Another thing to throw out there, you might consider polishing track 3 by lengthening the first and fourth notes in measure 18 (and other places where the melody is similar). As it is, to me it feels like there's too much of a gap between those notes. You could also try adding in another note in between the first and second ones and between the fourth and fifth ones (at the same pitch as the first and fourth notes), but reduce the volume on them significantly, to almost make them echo notes 1 and 4. That will sustain the energy in the melody without leaving a gap.

I hope that made sense.

All in all, though, good work! Having the longer notes fade out is a nice touch. :)

EDIT: I posted this in an idea and development thread, but since this one is specifically for orgs, here is an arrangement I did of Codename Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing. Comments and feedback are welcome.

Jul 2, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Based Member
Not bat at all. As far as the dissonance goes, it's tricky because the soundtrack recording has a lot of dissonance but it's masked because of the fact that they are real instruments and they have better balancing than you do at the moment. You might try playing around with the balancing down the sustained notes, especially when you have several sustained notes that are close together (e.g. pickups to measure 10, measures 44 to the end). You might also play around some with the instrument list; some sounds clash more than others when they are in tight harmonies like that.
Alright.

Another thing to throw out there, you might consider polishing track 3 by lengthening the first and fourth notes in measure 18 (and other places where the melody is similar). As it is, to me it feels like there's too much of a gap between those notes.
Okay.

You could also try adding in another note in between the first and second ones and between the fourth and fifth ones (at the same pitch as the first and fourth notes), but reduce the volume on them significantly, to almost make them echo notes 1 and 4. That will sustain the energy in the melody without leaving a gap.

I hope that made sense.
I think that made sense.

All in all, though, good work! Having the longer notes fade out is a nice touch. :)
Thanks!

EDIT: I posted this in an idea and development thread, but since this one is specifically for orgs, here is an arrangement I did of Codename Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing. Comments and feedback are welcome.
That's pretty good. I'm sorry that I can't offer you as much useful advice as you offered me. Let's just pretend that it's because you've got less room for improvement than I do, and that's why I didn't have any suggestions.

Anyway, today I made a remix of "In Dreams" from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I'm bearing with you right now.

First of all, it's great! The intro feels a little bare, and you seem to have gotten off one beat somehow by the time the bass comes in.
The percussion is awesome stuff, you seem to have a knack for that.
Keep practicing and you'll have some awesome stuff in your hands!

Hayden, yours is neat too, I have never heard the song before so I have no frame of reference, but it sounds great!

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
I'm bearing with you right now.

First of all, it's great! The intro feels a little bare, and you seem to have gotten off one beat somehow by the time the bass comes in.
The percussion is awesome stuff, you seem to have a knack for that.
Keep practicing and you'll have some awesome stuff in your hands!

Hayden, yours is neat too, I have never heard the song before so I have no frame of reference, but it sounds great!
(spell fail, i know.) :D Thanks for the feedback! I feel special right now. :orangebell:

(To avoid double posting, i am editing this post.)

HEY HEY HEY ITS A REMIX! (remixes are harder to make in my opinion, so this one might not be as good.)

Its a remix of a Kingdom Hearts 2 song called The other promise. normal version, final mix version is too hard.

So here ya go! http://www.mediafire.com/?1kii9ayd3ncc95a

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Lol that's a good sign I think, it means you're more prone to making up your own stuff! That's really useful when you're making your own stuff, which is ideally most of the time in org maker.

As a general rule, one click length notes usually sound choppy unless you string them together. If that's the note length I really want, I either double all notes' lengths and decrease the volume on the second beat of the short notes, or make the short notes two clicks long and decrease the volume on the second beat without messing with the rest of the song.

Okay, Org time! My senior project is an LP of Orgs and Ptcops, so here are a few older songs I've remastered:

City Lights.org this is one of the first orgs I did, I drastically altered the drums, instruments, and the length of the song is about double.

Falling Water.org Added a nice rumbly bassline to make it feel more full, and messed with volumes and percussion balance.

Off To Work.org I kind of want to do more with thins one, but I couldn't bring my self to change much but the percussion and balance. It was my first org after all, nostalgia and all that.

Oh! and also a remix of the Mega Man 3 Game Over theme, could have sworn I'd already posted this.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
:balrog:

WOHOAH BRO! These are awesome! They're all great, but falling water...

FALLING WATER BRO. It was the most awesome of all. :momo:

Workin' on a new song~

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Not anymore
I think they're all nice.

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I enjoyed them all, and I really love the effect with track 1 and 2 in FallingWater. There isn't really anything that stands out as warranting revision and each has its own unique feel yet at the same time they go together well enough that I could see an album being made out of it.

Good stuff

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Those are some very nice orgs. Falling Water sounds much nicer. Niceiness.

Oh, also hi.

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM
I really love the percussion!
It's really syncapated and gives the already syncapated bassline a chaotic yet rhythmic feel (like a train, go figure). I also love the use of multiple pitches per drum track, even I have a hard time making that work.
The melody feels a little chromatic (not usually a super thing to have), I would tweak it a bit to fit your bassline. Just basically avoid using the notes your bassline doesn't use and it will sound much better.
It's getting better, please keep making more!

Alright, here's my song:
Pulsing Misery.org

Fun fact for all music theory nerds, this is based off of a chorale I wrote as a figured bass exercise. I was just dicking around on the piano with the progression and came up with something sounding like the org, and on the way from my piano to my computer it ended up getting way more dubsteppy in my mind (it was already the right tempo).
This is my attempt, of course you can't make real dubstep in ORGMaker since your synths can't change frequency mid note D:
So it ended up being really liquid and melodic, which is the best kind of music anyway.
Enjoy.

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Not anymore
It sounds quite nice.

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:34 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Great work, CookedChef and Cultr1! I like "Cascade Train" and "Pulsing Misery" a lot!

CookedChef, the rhythmic drive you set up is great! Like Cultr1 said, the syncopation creates a great effect where the music is almost lurching forward. Even when after I listened to it a few times, the bass line still caught me off gaurd. The unison in the bass at bars 7, 15, 23, and 31 seem a bit hollow, though. Maybe play around with moving one of the voices down an octave (to G0) or maybe up to Db2 or something to see if you like the sound of the thicker bass there—those bars are pretty important since they mark the end of the bass ostinato, so my ears the unison bass doesn't give the line enough power. Also, I really like the chromatic melody that you bring in at the end. My ear hears it going somewhere different from where you took it, but what you did works. Nevertheless, you might try playing around with the last few bars, like Cultr1 suggested. Personally, my ear wants to hear more E-Db-C action going on (this could also work really well if you decide to add a Db in the bass to give some ionian-phrygian flavor to the melody), but I'm sure whatever you settle on will be great.

Cultr1, this is really polished work! I love the effect with the oscillating bass volume. I suppose the next closest thing we might be able to get with dubstep in ORGmaker might be to have multiple instruments on the bass (like you do here), but to give them different volume patterns so that their dynamics phase in and out with each other. Who knows, might be something to try out next time.

A statement and question for Cultr1, though. The dropbox links to your stuff above ("City Lights," "Falling Water," "Off To Work") seem to be dead. Could you put them up on Mediafire, perhaps?

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
oh crap D: yes I can, right away.

And thanks :D

EDIT: all fixed!

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Not anymore
Ladies and gentlemen...

*reads*

What? The Cave Story forums are 97% male?
Okay... gentlemen and lady...

I present to you, Flight Theme 2 from Secret of Mana. I think this is the best song in the whole game.

Flight Theme 2