May 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
MagicDoors said:
Try using another flag, 220 may or may not be reserved
Tried that using flag 241, neither Life Capsule appeared. Yet using flags 220 or 241 in normal ways (i.e. changing an NPC's dialogue) works, so I guess it's probably because of the "two life capsules using the same flag" thing.

shinychu said:
All right. I've managed to set up my maps for 3/4 of my mod additions. I just need to program entities besides enemies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can put any sort of entity enemy in the level and it'll work correctly, right? Because I'm only using Night Spirits, purple Critters, and black bats. That pulls enemies from the Labyrinth, Grasstown, and Outer Wall areas. Let me know right now if I'll run into a problem.
MagicDoors said:
You won't be able to; you need the relevant NPC sheet applied to the map. You can only have one or two, depending on the sheet.
What MagicDoors said.
Basically, it's impossible to have all three at the same time, you'd only be able to use the Purple Critters and the Night Spirit there simultaneously - Grasstown bats would go on top of both the Night Spirits and Purple Critters, or below them, and trying to use the bats without adding their sprites to the NPC sheet would make it look really weird (as they'd look like purple Critters if they faced one direction, and they'd partially look like Night Spirits if they looked the other direction).

MagicDoors said:
The only unsafe numbers are 0000 - 0089. 0090-0094 are used for fading into the map. Anything after that is perfectly fine.
I know that #0000 to #0049 are unsafe and that #0090 to #0094 are used for fade-ins, but is there a reason why #0050 to #0089 are unsafe or is that just unknown?

May 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
MagicDoors said:
You won't be able to; you need the relevant NPC sheet applied to the map. You can only have one or two, depending on the sheet.

Yeah it's fun don't worry about it

Wow those are some arbitrary numbers I have never heard of that. The only unsafe numbers are 0000 - 0089. 0090-0094 are used for fading into the map. Anything after that is perfectly fine.
Dang. Well, this is my idea. At first, I was planning on having a scripted event occur when the player gets to a certain point after coming in through the door, where a block suddenly falls over the entrance with the message "You can't turn back now...". Something dramatic like that. Then after the boss is defeated and the events in the Tomb area are fulfilled, the player comes out a door hidden above some pass-through walls. After they reach the block again, a scripted event happens where the block comes back. Or, should the block thoroughly disappear? Which, in your opinion, is easier?

I'll figure it out somehow, probably.

I just guessed numbers because I remembered vaguely that certain numbers are part of the general code and dangerous to mix in with other events.

May 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Shane said:
Tried that using flag 241, neither Life Capsule appeared. Yet using flags 220 or 241 in normal ways (i.e. changing an NPC's dialogue) works, so I guess it's probably because of the "two life capsules using the same flag" thing.
Do the entities have trigger flag 0800 or 4000? 4000 means it will disappear if its flag is set, 0800 means it will appear if its flag is set. That might be your problem.

Shane said:
I know that #0000 to #0049 are unsafe and that #0090 to #0094 are used for fade-ins, but is there a reason why #0050 to #0089 are unsafe or is that just unknown?
Okay I guess technically you can use 0050-0089 but they'd still go before the transition events and it would just be unorganized so it's pretty much pointless.

Bombchu Link said:
also, what is the difference between a .PXA, .PXE, and .PXM file?
I'm sorry I completely forgot to answer this question.

.pxa: Tileset files. Sand.pxa applies to PrtSand.pbm.
.pxe: Entity files (entity data and placement). Start.pxe applies to the map with name "Start".
.pxm: Map tile files (the map design, basically). Start.pxm applies to the map with name "Start".

May 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
MagicDoors said:
Do the entities have trigger flag 0800 or 4000? 4000 means it will disappear if its flag is set, 0800 means it will appear if its flag is set. That might be your problem.
The entities have flags 2000 (PC pressed down to run script) and 4000 (disappear once Flag ID is set), just like most Life Capsules do. Even then, it's like the entities are out of existence.

EDIT:
Okay, figured it out, turns out Flag 220 is already used for something else and I forgot to update my notes. Ah well, these things happen. ^_^"
Although I really wish I stopped forgetting about things like using Booster's Lab to generate a flag list... :/

May 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Professional Whatever
Keeping a self-documented list of flags isn't a bad idea either. It really helps to recognize which flag actually does what.

May 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I'm having a problem with teleporters.

I made a new room, filled it with stuff, gave it some entities for a door and a teleporter, but the teleporter doesn't seem to work correctly.

The teleporter has an ID of 100, and is event #802. I have Teleporter Lights up above it like the other ones in the game.

<KEY<MSGA teleporter.
Where will it go?<NOD
Will you take it?<YNJ0000<CLO
<CNP0300:0111:0002<HMC<WAI0060<ANP0310:0001:0000
<WAI0100<FAO0004<TRA0098:0301:0009:0008<END

It goes through the text and Y/N, but then Quote disappears, the screen fades out to center, everything's gone besides the sound of text moving for a brief second, and a save prompt pops up. I declined, of course, but I was trapped in a bunch of nothing.

What am I doing wrong here, to transport me to another new map (98)?

May 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Professional Whatever
Well first of all if your teleporter has event number 802 then you need to change <ANP0310:0001:000 to <ANP0802:0001:0000. Also you do have a blank entity with event 300 beneath the teleporter, correct? You need that as well.

As for the sounds and save prompt, make sure you're using <TRA with the right event number. It's the second value, and determines which event is run when you enter the map.

May 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Awesome. That all works. Now...for entry into the other room.

<KEY<MNA<CMU0005<FL+0224
<ANP0098:0000:0000<FAI0004
<CNP0098:0112:0002<WAI0100
<ANP0000:0000:0000
<MYD0002<SMC<DNP0100<END

I know for a fact that I must've copypasted this wrong, or just got an entity wrong. I have a blank entity marked 300 underneath the teleporter, the sounds work, but it still does the sound-scrolling text, flashes the screen before going relatively blank, then ends up doing another kind of event.

May 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
One quick question.
How do you change the map dimensions or size (the size of the map, how many tiles wide or tall) in Boosters Lab?
Thanks!
*Sorry for duplicate post in "Booster's Lab, Beta Bitches" thread!

May 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Okay, I pretty much solved my problem. Another bit of copypasting did the trick.

Now I have a new problem. I'm trying to set up a H/V trigger in my ice world so that a labyrinth block falls down over the door, and once you pass a certain point (HV trigger), the camera shifts over to that area, two blocks pop up over the fallen labyrinth block, and a message pops up saying "There's no turning back now..." and shift the camera back to the player. Is that possible? Right now, the HV message doesn't pop up, but that's probably because I didn't sync them. The labyrinth block doesn't move unless I bump it with my head. Maybe I should try a horizontal block instead.

May 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You can trigger the block with an <ANP command pretty sure, although I couldn't say off hand which value to use. For the camera all you'd need to do is <FON to the block, or if you prefer just make an invisible dummy entity to use as the camera focus point.

May 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM
LSD
"..."
Is there any way to change the text's appearence, such as colour or font?
I've been searching around, and I cannot find anything on this. I probably haven't been deep enough, though...

May 12, 2013 at 4:50 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You can change the font by editing the config.dat file (or more appropriately hacking doconfig.exe) and the colour can be changed by a certain assembly offset that can be found on the forum.. somewhere.

May 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM
LSD
"..."
How exactly should I go about editing the list?
Is there a list of fonts that I am limited to?
I appologize for all of the questions.

May 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Professional Whatever
As for editing the list I have no idea how to add fonts to the list but you can just go into a hex editor, search for "courier new" and replace it with the name of the new font if you want to change the default font in doconfig/config.dat.

May 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
In king story there is a boss.
The Robot from mimiga village

I do not know how Noxid made it walk around and blow up. How do you do that?

May 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Professional Whatever
Hacking an NPC. If you've just begun modding I wouldn't recommend delving into assembly just yet, you should get a good handle on TSC and scripting first.

May 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM
LSD
"..."
Lots and lots of Assembly Hacking. I'm not even sure it's possible. Well I mean, I haven't seen it done, but I'm sure it's possible. Just extremely difficult.