Jun 20, 2011 at 8:18 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Is there a method to adding more orgs to Cave Story? I don't think there's enough to suit my needs.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jun 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ummm hey I have a question about the mod im working on. Im going on vacation and i wont be able to get to my pc to work on it while im there, i was just wondering if there was a way to make my mod into a psp version and work on it with some sort of tool you can use to mod the psp version because i have cavestory on my psp already but i want to know how to get my mod to work on the psp so i can work on my mod while im gone. anyone know how i can do this using a psp (i dont have a laptop)???:)

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM
I don't anymore.
Game Reaper said:
Ummm hey I have a question about the mod im working on. Im going on vacation and i wont be able to get to my pc to work on it while im there, i was just wondering if there was a way to make my mod into a psp version and work on it with some sort of tool you can use to mod the psp version because i have cavestory on my psp already but i want to know how to get my mod to work on the psp so i can work on my mod while im gone. anyone know how i can do this using a psp (i dont have a laptop)???:)

Someone's obsessed with modding. Well unless you have the asm skiils of Nox and a knowledge of C++. The original PSP version was created with the original C++ version which you don't have, you'd have to do that with ASM. You'd need to know C++ to make an editing program for your new version as I'm sure the current one would have problems with it. Plus, even if you did it, you'd have to reconfigure it afterwords to make it capable of being edited on PC again.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:25 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Game Reaper said:

HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Someone's obsessed with modding. Well unless you have the asm skiils of Nox and a knowledge of C++. The original PSP version was created with the original C++ version which you don't have, you'd have to do that with ASM. You'd need to know C++ to make an editing program for your new version as I'm sure the current one would have problems with it. Plus, even if you did it, you'd have to reconfigure it afterwords to make it capable of being edited on PC again.

It is possible to port mods to the PSP. However there is currently no editor for the PSP so this wouldn't work so well. I'd suggest waiting until after your vacation to mod again.

Also, the problem with doing any kind of ASM on the PSP is that you'd have to learn MIPS assembly instead of x86 assembly. Gaming devices tend to have very different processors than modern PCs. Even then, you wouldn't be able to get your mod back to the PC unless you translate the code somehow.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
hmmm....
Well thx guys ill forget about modding it on my psp (for now), but even though there is no program to edit it on the psp is there a way to just play it on my psp to find glitches, things that could be better, or to just have fun while im gone?

ps: it would also be pretty cool to play other mods besides mine on my psp too so if anyone has a cs mod that works for psp id be interested to try it! thx

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Hey guys, I did some research about my question but I found nothing, so there it is:

I modified Misery's sprite so she's taller (like in the credits). Then I changed the framerects, since my tall Misery's spriteset is no longer at the top of Regu.pbm, but at the bottom instead (where there is more space).

But now, Misery's body is buried underground, I can only see her face. It's because Misery's programming was designed for a 16x17 character and not a 16x24 character. So now, what should I do?

P.S.: I am using CaveEditor and OllyDbg.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:14 PM
I don't anymore.
Hiino said:
Hey guys, I did some research about my question but I found nothing, so there it is:

I modified Misery's sprite so she's taller (like in the credits). Then I changed the framerects, since my tall Misery's spriteset is no longer at the top of Regu.pbm, but at the bottom instead (where there is more space).

But now, Misery's body is buried underground, I can only see her face. It's because Misery's programming was designed for a 16x17 character and not a 16x24 character. So now, what should I do?

P.S.: I am using CaveEditor and OllyDbg.

Go to the entity in the npctable editor and increse the size of the red box the match the size of the green one.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:52 PM
Been here way too long...
^ That.
You need the hitrects to match the spriterects, or else it acts odd.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:57 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How does the yellow part of the boss health bars work? Does it have any in game effect or is it just to look pretty?

Sorry if this is a silly question. But I played through the game twice and still don't understand how the system works.

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:20 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Going from memory, its just the recent damage he's taken. Only useful for checking if your attack is effective.

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:21 AM
I don't anymore.
Story said:
How does the yellow part of the boss health bars work? Does it have any in game effect or is it just to look pretty?

Sorry if this is a silly question. But I played through the game twice and still don't understand how the system works.

It basicly is for effect. When ever the red bar goes down, the yellow bar remains in it's place and goes down a moment later. it does noething spectacularly important, but it's a nice affect if you understand it.

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:23 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Noxid said:
I meant my own version of the game

Anyway flags over 7999 don't save so that is kind of a thing you might want to keep in mind.

Hmm. Would flags over 7999 still -work- though?
(Locals!)

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Not really. That'd be Out of Bounds memory (i.e. the flagdata is an array of 1000 bytes)
If you wanted that you could use skipflags, of which there are... 128? some small number.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:23 AM
Dubby said:
Hmm. Would flags over 7999 still -work- though?
Rune actually has a nice post about how screwing with high enough flags can actually set different bits of ram, such as the quake flag etc. With the addition of ascii numerals, you can screw with a LOT of the ram, including space before the flagdata and way after it. There might be (there are) some unused bytes in that space you could commandeer as temp-flags, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:07 PM
Professional Whatever
Hey, is there any way to use ASM to make a TSC event: <SYMXXXX?
It would be an event that places an entity over XXXX entity, unless XXXX is 0, in which case it deletes the entity. I'm not quite sure how to set entities with ASM, that's all that's stopping me, I think.
This would be used for putting a message bubble above the head of someone talking, to make it clear who is speaking. It would probably replace the "help! bubble" NPC.

EDIT: By "over" an entity, I meant a lower Y value and an equal X value, not with the same X and Y value.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:13 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
NPC Create:
push init slot (0x200 entity slots, starts checking from # pushed.)
push Parent ; This is to push [ebp+8] in ASM to relate entities to one another, with +A8
push Direction
push yvel
push xvel
push y
push x
push num
call 46efd0
add esp,20

You would need to know that to make the TSC command anyway so ........ :hoppy:

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM
Professional Whatever
Noxid said:
NPC Create:
push init slot (0x200 entity slots, starts checking from # pushed.)
push Parent ; This is to push [ebp+8] in ASM to relate entities to one another, with +A8
push Direction
push yvel
push xvel
push y
push x
push num
call 46efd0
add esp,20

You would need to know that to make the TSC command anyway so ........ :hoppy:
Ah, I get it!
...I don't actually copy that word for word, do I? Would I have to switch the parent, direction, velocity etc. for the correct register? Or do I have to actually put a number for it?
Well thanks a bunch! I think I have a handle on the command now!