Sep 10, 2017 at 4:42 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No

Sep 10, 2017 at 6:02 AM
War criminal
You're just going to have to change the map layout to workaround this obstacle, as much as it sucks. Then again, mods always have to use workarounds one way or another...

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:41 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Ok I have a new issue now! For some reason I have one of those puppies stuck on my head!
I don't have the puppy item in my inventory, nor have I replaced it. How do I remove it??

EDIT: no longer an issue, I found 2 ways to fix it!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 4:03 PM
It's an entity that spawns when a flag is set. Just delete the entity. If you're using the original Sand Zone map, look in the top left. Same thing with the "curly on your back" entity.
thanks, i found two ways out
one was change something inside it so it would always appear invisible
the second one was i realized I accidentally put a "carry puppy" sprite

I guess I'm supposed to edit this, i hope people check this
So i have another issue now
I have a sprite 0 "null" changed into a crow with the skeleton head
but whenever i try to <DNP it it only deletes the crow and leaves a floating skeleton head!
I think I know why this happens, but I don't know how to fix it. PLease help!!!!!

OK NOW I HAVE ANOTHER ISSUE
no one seems to be answering, probably becasue theres nothing to show anyone has typed anything
I did a map and its SUPER GLITCHED
it's like the blocks aren't even there!
I can see everything, but my guy just falls right through them
and the waterway moving river blocks still look like arrows.... WHY?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 12:22 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
I have a quick question regarding the smoke entity in Cave Story, so in WTF story the first level uses a "broken-wire" to get the player from place to place on the map with a little smoke entity to indicate where the jumps are, I want to extend this to my mod and actually have it be the game's teleportation system. But when I put the smoke entity in Cave Editor and switch back to the modded game, the smoke appears for it's one time and disappears. Is there a way to prolong the smoke infinitely or is it impossible without ASM?

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:27 AM
War criminal
It uses the Smoke Generator entity from Grasstown, it's where the crashed motorbike would be near Santa's House.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:46 AM
Can someone help with my old post?

For some reason I keep falling through the map!
I'm using the River tileset, and the arrows are still showing up as arrows (I know they're supposed to be the flowing things, but it's acting like it's a background rather than blocks)

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:15 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I guess I'm supposed to edit this, i hope people check this
So i have another issue now
I have a sprite 0 "null" changed into a crow with the skeleton head
but whenever i try to <DNP it it only deletes the crow and leaves a floating skeleton head!
I think I know why this happens, but I don't know how to fix it. PLease help!!!!!

OK NOW I HAVE ANOTHER ISSUE
no one seems to be answering, probably becasue theres nothing to show anyone has typed anything
I did a map and its SUPER GLITCHED
it's like the blocks aren't even there!
I can see everything, but my guy just falls right through them
and the waterway moving river blocks still look like arrows.... WHY?

The skeleton head is a new entity so you can't <DNP it. However, you can do an <DNA for the skeleton head entity (deletes all instances of a certain type of entity), but this would delete ALL the skeleton heads in the area.

There could be several problems with your map. The tileset could be too large (anything after 256 pixels (iirc) is terribly glitched), or the tileset might not have any of the tile types set (somehow)...

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:06 PM
The skeleton head is a new entity so you can't <DNP it. However, you can do an <DNA for the skeleton head entity (deletes all instances of a certain type of entity), but this would delete ALL the skeleton heads in the area.

There could be several problems with your map. The tileset could be too large (anything after 256 pixels (iirc) is terribly glitched), or the tileset might not have any of the tile types set (somehow)...
I think that's it..
I made my map 260 tiles
DARN i deleted my old one because I thought the map was glitched forever

edit: I changed it to 50x50 but it still doesn't work
Any other solutions?
by the way what is iirc?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 11:14 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I think that's it..
I made my map 260 tiles

Any other solutions?
by the way what is iirc?
I don't think it's the map size, but the tileset size. (the tileset is the little thing in the right of/above your map that displays the tiles you can place. You may have done something when editing the tiles.

iirc means "if I recall correctly" iirc

Sep 12, 2017 at 4:31 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I think that's it..
I made my map 260 tiles

Any other solutions?
by the way what is iirc?

50x50 is incorrect it should be 16x16px per tile at 16x16 tile per sheet. If you have 2x, it is 32x32px per tile at 16x16 tiles per sheet. Try resizing to 16x16px. 50 is not a multiple of 16. I may be misunderstanding your comment tho so don't hesitate to correct me.

If that doesn't work
The PXA file format isn't corruptible. So I think that you may have screwed up the PXM. Open up your map in a hex editor and resize the character view so it matches your map. Check that the hex view looks like your map. If it looks nothing a like, try resizing the character view. If it still doesn't work, reply to this.

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:11 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The PXA file format isn't corruptible.

I actually know what happened here since it used to happen to me all he time, the PXA did "corrupt" in a sense.

Basically, really old versions of Booster's Lab (found in old Deluxe packages or whatever, Walrus_Guy said he used multiple old editors all on the same file) would sometimes on accident completely wipe the pxa, setting everything to 00 (background) and causing the issues he had.

In a profile post I told him to grab river.pxa from vanilla and replace it, and he said everything was working again.

But yeah, you're right in that the tilesheet should be no bigger than 256x256 pixels, preferably 256 wide in all cases and in a height dividable by 16.

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:40 PM
So after using the new river thing, most work but some still seem a little odd and I'm not sure if it's supposed to
What are the ME blocks supposed to do? They just look like blocks that you can shoot through, stop movement, but won't break

also the two squares on the tile set the 2v2 ones with the little finished look on the top and bottom both act like you fall through them
everything else works though
just curious is this supposed to happen?

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:19 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
So after using the new river thing, most work but some still seem a little odd and I'm not sure if it's supposed to
What are the ME blocks supposed to do? They just look like blocks that you can shoot through, stop movement, but won't break

also the two squares on the tile set the 2v2 ones with the little finished look on the top and bottom both act like you fall through them
everything else works though
just curious is this supposed to happen?
In Booster's Lab, right click on a tile in the tile editor in order to change its behavior.

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:04 AM
CSE Discord Admin
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I need help. Since about an hour ago, I'm searching EVERYWHERE on the internet for "how the **** do you create an entity in booster's lab" and haven't found ANYTHING to help me. Please, could someone help me ?

(What I do is just copy another entity and do what I want with... but then what will I do with an empty map ?)

Another thing I don't know is why Cave Story in general (all copies and mods) is super slow... (don't have this issue with other games)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 12:31 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
you press i for insert