Jan 3, 2017 at 12:05 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Jan 3, 2017 at 12:07 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Thanks guys :)

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:07 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
So, I figured some of my stuff out. (Thanks!)
However, I came to an issue.
How do I make the walls close in at the start point like they do at the end of the good ending, when you beat Ballos? I want to have the walls close in after discovering a secret, but I don't know how.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:14 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There are two ways of doing this that I can think of:

1. The same way Pixel did in the Seal Chamber- with an invisible death wall entity. Place an entity of the type "invisible death trap wall" on the top left and right corners map, or what ever region you want the walls to enclose from. For the one on the left, set the entity flags to 0x1000 by ticking option 2. When you execute the part of the script that is supposed to make the walls start closing in, use an <ANP command on both entities to make them do animation number 10. Make sure that the one on the left side has 0002 as its last parameter instead of 0000, since it closes in the opposite direction. So your script would look something like "<ANP0410:0010:0000<ANP0411:0010:0002". While this is easier to implement than the second technique, it's a lot less custom because it looks like each step in the animation goes at specific timed intervals, and it looks like it always has to replace the tiles with tile 109 on the tileset.

2. The other way is to use lots of <CMP commands. When you're ready for the next step to execute, just put in all those <CMP commands that change the map tiles to the ones you specify. This is more tedious to do, but you can more easily control the timing of the walls closing in and directly choose which tile you want the map to change to. To see an example of this technique being used on a smaller scale, look at event #0402 in map #064 in the original game, the Throne Room. This is the part where the platforms appear for you to ascend to the King's Table after defeating Misery.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:31 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
How do I release my mod?

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:43 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
How do I release my mod?
I think you just make a thread for it in the modding showcase with a download link (Preferably from Dropbox) and a few screenshots, unless you mean to release it somewhere outside the forums. Be sure to read the showcase rules beforehand though.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:35 PM
Soup Man
So every I type anything in the Cave Editor's Script Editor, it's VERY slow. Like 20 characters behind me. CE works fine on all my other machines, but it types VERY slow on my laptop (Which I am currently using to mod). If someone could help, that would be amazing. Typing works EXTREMELY fast everywhere outside of CE, and it seems nothing is draining my CPU usage when using it. Anyone know how to fix this?

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:59 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
So every I type anything in the Cave Editor's Script Editor, it's VERY slow. Like 20 characters behind me. CE works fine on all my other machines, but it types VERY slow on my laptop (Which I am currently using to mod). If someone could help, that would be amazing. Typing works EXTREMELY fast everywhere outside of CE, and it seems nothing is draining my CPU usage when using it. Anyone know how to fix this?
AFAIK this can be pretty situational, here are some things that might be handy to know;
1: How large is the script you are writing?
2: Are there any other things in your mod of considerable size?
3: Do you have anything noteworthy running?
4: CPU usage might not be high, but what about disk usage?
5: What are your system's specs, if you don't mind sharing them?

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:33 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
the editor itself wouldn't grind I/O just while typing so that isn't a factor in this case.

CE woefully re-highlights the entire document on every edit as far as i'm aware. It gives consistent results in a very naiive way but unfortunately not performant as you might guess. The more TSC you have, the longer it takes.

BL is a bit different in that it only scans the whole thing on load, and then does -3/+3 lines on an edit. Which is also naiive, but doesn't take too long. The downside of my approach is that it's wrong all the time but I don't really care.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:53 PM
Soup Man
AFAIK this can be pretty situational, here are some things that might be handy to know;
1: How large is the script you are writing?
2: Are there any other things in your mod of considerable size?
3: Do you have anything noteworthy running?
5: What are your system's specs, if you don't mind sharing them?
the editor itself wouldn't grind I/O just while typing so that isn't a factor in this case.

CE woefully re-highlights the entire document on every edit as far as i'm aware. It gives consistent results in a very naiive way but unfortunately not performant as you might guess. The more TSC you have, the longer it takes.

BL is a bit different in that it only scans the whole thing on load, and then does -3/+3 lines on an edit. Which is also naiive, but doesn't take too long. The downside of my approach is that it's wrong all the time but I don't really care.
The script I'm writing isn't that large at all. This has been happening since I downloaded CE and started the mod. I've only worked on one map so far. The only things running are CE, and the Steam Client, but CE has been slow even before downloading it. Disk usage is always less than 10%. My PC works PERFECT with anything else, so I'm not sure why it's only having trouble with CE. I haven't tried it with BL yet, but if I can't fix this, that's my next option. My laptop is actually a lot faster than my normal PC (Overrun with hundreds of files, and extremely SLOW), but CE works just fine there. Sometimes CE is only 1 or 2 letters behind me, but sometimes it's around 10 to 20. So if anyone has any ideas as to what's going on, that would be grand.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:52 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Noxid also made a standalone script editor if you want to try using that while still in CE, it's on the site front page

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:18 PM
Soup Man
Noxid also made a standalone script editor if you want to try using that while still in CE, it's on the site front page
OK I'll try it then. Wish me luck
EDIT: Oh, one more question. Is there any program for converting .pmd files into ORGs?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2017 at 7:12 PM
Serri Online
War criminal
Oh, one more question. Is there any program for converting .pmd files into ORGs?
There is not. You'd have to transcribe them from PiyoPiyo to ORGMaker yourself to do that. That's what I did for making an org version of Pixel's Rubber Resort song that came with his PiyoPiyo player (リゾートラバー.pmd).

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:20 PM
Soup Man
There is not. You'd have to transcribe them from PiyoPiyo to ORGMaker yourself to do that. That's what I did for making an org version of Pixel's Rubber Resort song that came with his PiyoPiyo player (リゾートラバー.pmd).
Oh boy... Guess I'll have to do that then. Someone should attempt to make a program though, because that would make life much easier.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:10 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
how do you edit the starting screen to say different things like you added the silver

i am using sues editor but i can probably change just everything else always gets everything all jumbled

i've tried cave editor but i dont know how to use that

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:17 PM
Soup Man
how do you edit the starting screen to say different things like you added the silver

i am using sues editor but i can probably change just everything else always gets everything all jumbled

i've tried cave editor but i dont know how to use that
Uh rule one of modding: Don't use Sue's Workshop. Also ask this is the modding hacking questions thread thing

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Uh rule one of modding: Don't use Sue's Workshop.
Rule one is always make backups of whatever progress you make.

@Walrus_Guy
But I'd recommend avoiding Sue's Workshop like the plague since it will wreck the game if used with any other editor (meaning if you use it on a mod and didn't back up, you are stuck with using sues workshop for it), and it it obsolete compared to what Boosters Lab and Cave Editor can do.

Last edited: