Dec 13, 2016 at 9:35 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Does anybody know how to change the Cave Story version number for a mod?

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:01 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Changing the version number in doukutsu.exe's properties should suffice, iirc

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:25 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
It's also the last resource (the last file when you view it in resource hacker), just change every instance of 1,0,0,6 to whatever you are wanting.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:43 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How do I edit the properties of a weapon in depth? (ROF, Projectile, etc.)

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:31 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
If it can't be done with one of the booster's lab hackinator files, then you will need to assembly edit

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How do I prevent a script from activating every time I enter a room, where no entities are involved, and how do I program two rooms that have doors to each other (think the Start Point and the rest of First Cave) without the door in room 2 transporting me back to room 1 as soon as I arrive at room? I'm sorry for the garbage wording. I should probably show what I mean but it's late so I will do it tomorrow morning if needed.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:27 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I suggest watching Noxid's guide on this subject.
It's pretty dated, and I strongly recommend you use Booster's Lab rather than Cave Editor, but it'll do. Also BL (Booster's Lab) is much better at adding new maps.
I tried using BL, but I couldnt figure crap out, and the oh god what do I do option doesnt seem to properly work because all of the coding segments just make my computer do an error ding rather than opening.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:18 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
How do I add custom music to my mod?

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:59 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Check out this guide I wrote on how to replace .org files.
Thanks, but now I have another issue.
I want lightning to appear in my intro. How can I make it show up during the cut-scene? Whenever I try creating it into it, it shows up during the "Studio Pixel Presents" screen, and it's unviewable. How can this be fixed? (I use Cave Editor, btw)

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017 at 4:32 AM
"Huzzah!"
I have a question regarding the stage.tbl file, what does it do?

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:42 AM
"Huzzah!"
I have a question regarding the stage.tbl file, what does it do?
The original freeware version of CS contains a section that contains mapdata with supplementary information for every map in the game. It makes it difficult to add or remove maps (without CE, BL or SW - though SW doesn't handle this well) since adding or removing maps shifts the offsets in the EXE following the mapdata, which will screw with things and break the executable.

stage.tbl is what CS+ uses instead. By externalizing the mapdata into a separate file, it makes it much easier to add or remove maps since there are no offsets in the executable that will be screwed up. So it's basically the mapdata section in the freeware's executable, but in a separate file.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017 at 7:49 PM
Based Member
I want lightning to appear in my intro. How can I make it show up during the cut-scene? Whenever I try creating it into it, it shows up during the "Studio Pixel Presents" screen, and it's unviewable. How can this be fixed? (I use Cave Editor, btw)
So you have the lightning striking, but it happens too early? Have you tried using a <WAI command so that the lightning doesn't strike until after you've seen the room? Or is something else causing the problem?

stage.tbl is what CS+ uses instead. By externalizing the mapdata into a separate file, it makes it much easier to add or remove maps since there are no offsets in the executable that will be screwed up.
Indeed, and at first I thought this would be beneficial. Ironically, though, adding new maps in CS+ doesn't work at all for some reason.

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:56 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I have a couple things my mod needs that I don't know how to add.
1st: How can I add Lightning to the intro cut scene? I put it in there, and it shows up, but only during the "Studio Pixel Presents" Screen. How can I change this so it shows up during the cut scene?
2nd: How do I create a custom title screen?
3rd: Can a Dragon Zombie be a boss in Egg Corridor, or is it not possible? Everytime I add one, the graphics are messed up, and he shows up as Igor...

I may have more, but these things are important right now. Can somebody please help me with this? :pignon2:

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:58 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
So you have the lightning striking, but it happens too early? Have you tried using a <WAI command so that the lightning doesn't strike until after you've seen the room? Or is something else causing the problem?

I tried that. Whenever I add a <WAI, it either doesn't show up, or it does absolutely nothing...

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:16 PM
Based Member
I tried that. Whenever I add a <WAI, it either doesn't show up, or it does absolutely nothing...
That's weird. Could you describe in more detail what exactly happens? How long of a <WAI command are you using? I'm assuming that you're editing map number 072. Could you perhaps paste your script here?
2nd: How do I create a custom title screen?
I'm a little bit confused about your question about editing the title screen since it sounds like you're already customizing it. Do you mean customizing the main menu? If so, then part of that is just an image in the game's data filder, another part of it can be edited with Resource Hacker, and other things require assembly hacking.

3rd: Can a Dragon Zombie be a boss in Egg Corridor, or is it not possible? Everytime I add one, the graphics are messed up, and he shows up as Igor...
That's probably happening because you have the wrong NPC spritesheet configured. Unfortunately, you can't have every NPC ever on one map, you have to place them selectively. For a dragon zombie to show up right, you need to put "Eggs2" in NPC Tileset slot 1 for your map.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:41 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
That's weird. Could you describe in more detail what exactly happens? How long of a <WAI command are you using? I'm assuming that you're editing map number 072. Could you perhaps paste your script here?

I'm a little bit confused about your question about editing the title screen since it sounds like you're already customizing it. Do you mean customizing the main menu? If so, then part of that is just an image in the game's data filder, another part of it can be edited with Resource Hacker, and other things require assembly hacking.

That's probably happening because you have the wrong NPC spritesheet configured. Unfortunately, you can't have every NPC ever on one map, you have to place them selectively. For a dragon zombie to show up right, you need to put "Eggs2" in NPC Tileset slot 1 for your map.
Basically, the sound and lightning plays during the "Studio Pixel Presents" Screen, and I can't figure out how to make it occur during the cut-scene, AFTER the "Studio Pixel Presents" screen
Also, about the title thing, where can I find it on the resource hacker?
And, thanks for letting me know about the NPC thing, (That helps a lot) but now I'm wondering about making it a boss, with it's own special HP and such.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:14 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Basically, the sound and lightning plays during the "Studio Pixel Presents" Screen
Do you perhaps mean the short moment "studio pixel presents" is shown on the screen?
I'd say that takes about 5 seconds, so i'd say try putting a <WAI0250 in front of the sounds/lightning.
Of course, nothing happens during the time the game <WAIts, so if you want something to happen during that time, you'd have to coordinate your <WAIs more.