Nov 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
MagicDoors said:
Bombchu made a really unclear explanation.

Flags are used for checking whether things have happened or not. Setting a flag with <FL+XXXX (where X is the flag number you want) will keep the flag set unless the player loads the game to a point before the flag set. <FLJXXXX:YYYY (where Y is a desired event number) will jump to event Y if flag X is set.
Another command you'll need is <CNPXXXX:YYYY:ZZZZ. X is the desired entity event number, Y is the desired NPC value, and Z is the direction. CNP changes an entity with event number X to type Y with direction Z. You can use this to change a blank entity to a door by putting it in your script. After this, set a flag. In the door/exit script, put a flag jump relative to the flag you set. If the flag is set, make the game jump to an event that shows a message saying "the door is locked" or something to that effect. After whatever you want happens in your room, unset the flag. That will allow the player to run the original door/exit script and exit the room.
Hopefully I explained everything. If I missed something please tell me.

Oh, also, to make an entity activate when pressing down, make sure special flag 2000 is set for the entity. The entity will play the event corresponding with its event number when you press down in front of it.
Maaaan, thanks. You really cleared something up for me. (Specifically, how <CNP command actually works)

TSC Is really not that difficult, you just have to think out of the box with some things.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"

TLincoln said:
Hey, what do I have to do to make a simplistic enemy (Critter, Bat, Gaudi, etc.) a boss in a level?

Use <BSLXXXX on that entity, that's it, the bar with it's health will appear on the bottom and I *think* it also does a <FON until it is killed or you do a <FOM.

Crystalwarrior said:
...you just have to think out of the box with some things.

Enlightened One is Really good at thinking outside the box sometimes with TSC

Chinfish battle anyone?

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Bombchu Link said:
Chinfish battle anyone?
*Cough*That'snotofficiallyreleasedyet*Cough*

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:24 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Okay, where in all of Pixels happy world are the Framarects defined for Quote? (No, not in the RAM, the actual source of them)

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Welp, just had an idea for game mechanic that sure as fuck would require some forbidden ASM hacking.
Using weapons as "characters".
So when you equip the weapon and "shoot" it, it will change your character sprite to something else and enable some flag for use with TSC.
Can anybody be assed with that task or should I just give up on the idea? :/

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You could make the weapon firing code link to an <EQ+ event that equips the mimiga mask. You would still have the same items and weapons, though. Only your sprite would change.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Crystalwarrior said:
Can anybody be assed with that task or should I just give up on the idea? :/
If you can't be assed to do it, chances are no one else can be assed to do it for you.

This applies for most things.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Bombchu Link said:
Okay, where in all of Pixels happy world are the Framarects defined for Quote? (No, not in the RAM, the actual source of them)
*cough*

procastination

*cough*

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Bombchu Link said:
*cough*

procastination

*cough*
If someone doesn't answer your question right away, it can be safe to assume the answer is unknown. So have fun finding the player frame rect definitions.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
If you can't be assed to do it, chances are no one else can be assed to do it for you.

This applies for most things.
But what if I really want to be assed, but I just have no skill nor understanding of ASM hacking so it could be done?
I mean, I did try to dwelve into ASM hacking before and it was kind of hard...
I suppose I could try again, though.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
OREOOOOH said:
So if I edit MyChar, then open Cave Story, Cave Story just puts up a random message, and the button "OK"...
And I spend alot of time editing MyChars!
Did you make sure to disable the C Pixel requirement for images?

(Boosters Lab does this automatically, and it can be done manually through Cave Edtior)

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Firstly, any future questions you may have probably more belong in the helpful development thread, and many would prefer you post there instead of creating a new thread. (But that is up to the Moderators.)

As for your question: in Cave Editor you can go under "Game Options" and check the "remove (C)Pixel requirement". If you are using CE and that doesn't fix the problem, than the next discrepancy to check would likely be the Bit amount.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:57 AM
Professional Whatever
It's just Cave Story. No mods, just Cave Story.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I have a question :
How can I stop an animation? for exemple, I want to make Curly walk until she arrives to a teleporter and stop there, not in another place.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Quote hell master said:
I have a question :
How can I stop an animation? for exemple, I want to make Curly walk until she arrives to a teleporter and stop there, not in another place.
I'm going to assume you already have ANP.txt. To accomplish what you want, use <ANPXXXX:YYYY:ZZZZ. XXXX = Curly's event #, YYYY = 0003 which is the number for Curly walking forward, and ZZZZ = direction. Follow that up by <WAIXXXX, where XXXX is how long you want Curly to move forward for. Then use <ANP again but change YYYY to 0000 to stop the animation. I explained it in detail just to be sure you understand.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
I'm trying to run the ORGkustu WAV org hack.

I put "doukustu" in the correct folder, and hit run me.. but nothing happens, I tried to find the "assembly binaries (assembly.txt)" mentioned in the readme, but apparently there not there OR It's refering to the hex data.

Either way, I applied the hex data before hitting run me.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:59 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

So in a mod I'm making, I'm trying to make it where you can get hit by enemies while a script is running, by using the <FRE command to allow Quote to move during the script.

Is there a (sophisticated) way to program it so Quote gets hit during a script (through just TSC commands), or do I need to do it through ASM?

Even if it means I need to fully redo my script, any help would be appreciated.

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:21 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Kayya said:
So in a mod I'm making, I'm trying to make it where you can get hit by enemies while a script is running, by using the <FRE command to allow Quote to move during the script.
Is there a (sophisticated) way to program it so Quote gets hit during a script (through just TSC commands), or do I need to do it through ASM?
Even if it means I need to fully redo my script, any help would be appreciated.
It would need to be done through ASM, yes. The game by default bypasses any damage during TSC (script) events.

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:59 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
It would need to be done through ASM, yes. The game by default bypasses any damage during TSC (script) events.
Not to sound annoying: but GIR is completely right, except for that spike tiles can still damage you while a script is running.

Though since you can't really do anything with that, the answer still pretty much stays at ASM.