Oct 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Uh
That's not Quote's palette

Oh I think I know. When saving your file, you need to choose to save it as a 24-bit bitmap. You're likely saving it as an 8-bit bitmap, which paint for some reason decides cannot use any palette other than its own.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I loaded the .pbm, then put it right back as a .pbm.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Samario said:
I loaded the .pbm, then put it right back as a .pbm.
If you save a .pbm as a .pbm in paint by just using save, it'll mess the palette up anyways.
however, if, in game settings, you remove the (c) pixel requirement, change the extension to .bmp, save them as a 24-bit bmp, then tick the box with the (c) pixel requirement and change it back to .pbms, the palette will stay the same.
though now you have to manually change curly's colours back to her own.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I backed up my data folder.

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I'm trying to uncheck the "Read-only" box on the folder where I'm storing my Cave Story files. When I click "Okay" and go through the necessary confirmations, then right-click the folder to open the Properties box again, the "Read-Only" option is checked. I have tried unchecking Read-only multiple times, but the folder just doesn't want to stay unmarked. I'm using a Windows 7; does that have anything to do with it?

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
You're actually not doing anything wrong- folders can't be read-only. Try looking at the properties of one of the files within the folder. It's quite likely that it won't be read-only.

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Beakface
Yeah, my modding copy of Cave Story is Read-only unchecked, but I thought I had to uncheck "read-only" on the folder, according to the different modding guides I looked at. Does this mean I can save changes when I mod if only the file is not read-only but the folder is read-only?

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Yes, the read-only status of the folder will not affect your modding as long as every file within isn't read-only, which will be the case if you unchecked the read-only status of the folder and clicked OK or Apply. The status of the folder will reset, but the status of the files will not. You're completely right that the guide says that, but as far as I've been able to tell it's wrong.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I'm reading through carrot lord's ASM guide (again) and got to the ASM logic part.

I completely understand what the commands do, but my question is why would you have practical use for them
in Cave Story ASM hacking.

And also because my previous Question got buried.

At what address do I change the X/Y location of Quote on the Title screen.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Based Member
Bombchu Link said:
I'm reading through carrot lord's ASM guide (again) and got to the ASM logic part.

I completely understand what the commands do, but my question is why would you have practical use for them
in Cave Story ASM hacking.
I'm pretty sure that Carrotlord goes on to explain how the original Cave Story uses this by storing all the equip flags in a single DWORD. I think that's also the way entity flags are handled.

Bombchu Link said:
And also because my previous Question got buried.

At what address do I change the X/Y location of Quote on the Title screen.
The other day I tried searching through the code for the main menu, but I had to go somewhere before I finished. Here's my suggestion: Determine the position the character is on the main menu in the game, convert the coordinates into hexadecimal, and scan through the main menu code while keeping your eyes peeled for those values.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Beakface
If I want to set a fireplace so that the player goes searching through it right away rather than having to use the jellyfish juice...(as an example)...is this possible, or this considered an example of changing the behaviour of the fireplace?

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Professional Whatever
The fireplace is just an entity; you can set, change or delete it whenever you wish

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:30 AM
War criminal
Hey, I put in an extra life capsule in my modding experiment and for some odd reason it won't disappear after it gets obtained, making it obtainable again.

Edit: I mean to say that I put it in the start point of the game.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Professional Whatever
Do you <DNP the correct number?

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM
War criminal
Oh, okay. Now I did. I guess I should be more careful if I were to copy and paste the event another time.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
By bosses you are probably referring to "special bosses", which are not in the entity pane of any editor but rather changed in the map data because the rules regarding them are quite different from other entities.

I haven't tested any of this out, but some of them will and some won't, like the core.

Since the core can pass through tiles easily in the core/almond room, it most likely can't be affected by 44. Same rule with Ironhead and Monster X... Come to think about it probably almost all of them can just pass through anything.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Life keeps going, but my temper doesn't.
"..."
I'm really stressed out... I can't find any way to change the Icon of the game no matter what I do in resource hacker. I even thought that I found out how to do it but I can't replace the icon with the name 0. Can someone help?

And what are the addresses to edit the bosses' HPs?

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Based Member
Fatih120 said:
I'm really stressed out... I can't find any way to change the Icon of the game no matter what I do in resource hacker. I even thought that I found out how to do it but I can't replace the icon with the name 0. Can someone help?
Is your replacement image a proper .ico file? If not, you'll need to do so. Irfanview is a useful program that helps you save your image file as an icon file.