Quick Modding/Hacking Answers Thread

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:58 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Man I love this thread.

So I've made a breakthrough in a concept that I want to try for this mod, but I need to know, can bosses actually call events based on what happens during a fight? Basically, I want to make the boss at random times, call an event that flashes the screen a bit, slight quaking for a second, and then lock out key control for a bit, being vulnerable to attack.

[edit]I have a sneaking suspicion that he won't be able to take damage while using <KEY. but I'm in no position to test it at the moment.

[edit2]While I'm here, has anyone figured out how to get the "different" backgrounds to work with other background files. EG bkfog , bkwater, bkmoon?

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:41 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I hope you guys still answer vercci's question, but I have a question as well, a quick one.

I want to change how many shots can be fired at a time on the polar star, because the standard is two but I need it to be like 20. I downloaded a hex editor and looked at some threads, but nobody tells me how to change this value. Help?!

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:49 AM
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
they do here.
or if you don't get shinings notes, at 0x1DEA5 there is a number, change it to 14.

that should give you 20.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:55 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Pronouns: he/him
Quick question

(This is all done on a brand-new CaveStory, completely unused)

I used CE, I unchecked the read-only, I used the remove copyright feature, but didn't edit any of the images (yet), and I edited the map.

Why then, does it give me an odd error message when I run Cave Story? Did I do something wrong?

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:59 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Cyowolf1122 said:
Quick question

(This is all done on a brand-new CaveStory, completely unused)

I used CE, I unchecked the read-only, I used the remove copyright feature, but didn't edit any of the images (yet), and I edited the map.

Why then, does it give me an odd error message when I run Cave Story? Did I do something wrong?

Screeny please. And if possible, a copy of the CS with the problem.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:02 AM
make sure the whole directory's not read only, too.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:16 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Uh, I search for that string value and it says no hex found or something like that. I even went down manually, I found 1DEA8 and 1DEA9 but no 1DEA5 :rolleyes:

EDIT: So there is no confusion, this is related to my question

EDIT2: It actually says "Hex string invalid"

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:00 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Oct 13, 2009 at 5:12 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Cyowolf1122 said:
Alrighty then, here's the link it has pretty much everything I used: http://www.mediafire.com/?zjvmimjfjtj

Did everything you did, and mine worked perfectly fine. Also, is there an error.log in the folder with your executable? If so, would you mind showing us what's inside the error.log? (doukutsu makes this if it can't find/load it's files for some reason).

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:20 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Sure, Here ya go.
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Loading.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\MyChar.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Title.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\ArmsImage.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Arms.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\ItemImage.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\StageImage.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Npc\NpcSym.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Npc\NpcRegu.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\TextBox.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Caret.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Bullet.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Face.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\Mods\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Fade.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Loading.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\MyChar.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Title.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\ArmsImage.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Arms.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\ItemImage.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\StageImage.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Npc\NpcSym.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Npc\NpcRegu.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\TextBox.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Caret.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Bullet.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Face.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Fade.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Loading.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\MyChar.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Title.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\ArmsImage.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Arms.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\ItemImage.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\StageImage.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Npc\NpcSym.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Npc\NpcRegu.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\TextBox.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Caret.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Bullet.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Face.pbm,0
C:\My Stuff\Collection\Cave Story\CaveEditor0.98d\CaveStory\data\Fade.pbm,0

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:23 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Cyowolf1122 said:
Sure, Here ya go.

A) You're sure your data folder is in the right spot? (data folder should be in the same folder as doukutsu.exe, make sure the files are in their right spots too).

B) You sure you removed the (C)Pixel requirement? (Shouldn't be an issue if the exe's clean...)

C) You did NOT change the image file extension (this seems most likely since it's all images). Make sure the image file extension is .pbm, or if you change it to bmp then please change all the images to bmp as well.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:35 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
A) Yep, it's all in the same spot.
B) I believe I did, but everytime I check the "remove copyright" and select ok and then go back, the box is still unchecked. Maybe that's the cause. I could have somehow corrupted the EXE in my experimentation, too.
I did try some tileset editing, too.
C) Nope, they are all .pbms. There is however, a Face.bmp (and a Face.pbm, too), but upon removal and retrying the EXE, I still got the same error.

I'm starting to think it's my fault, mostly from experimenting with CE.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:39 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Cyowolf1122 said:
A) Yep, it's all in the same spot.
B) I believe I did, but everytime I check the "remove copyright" and select ok and then go back, the box is still unchecked. Maybe that's the cause. I could have somehow corrupted the EXE in my experimentation, too.
I did try some tileset editing, too.
C) Nope, they are all .pbms. There is however, a Face.bmp (and a Face.pbm, too), but upon removal and retrying the EXE, I still got the same error.

I'm starting to think it's my fault, mostly from experimenting with CE.

B) is a known issue with CE v 0.95. I don't know what caused it, but what I used to do to solve it is simple change the (C)Pixel string to something else, then hit ok, then go back, and once it's saved your string check the box, hit okay, then save the exe. That's what worked for me.

Make sure you're using the right version. And also the bmp would not have caused any problems.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:39 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
CE is still trying to read them as pbm's right?

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
B) is a known issue with CE v 0.95

is it still there in v0.98? that's what he's using

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:42 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Vercci said:
CE is still trying to read them as pbm's right?

is it still there in v0.98? that's what he's using

Im pretty sure it's not, didn't happen in mine (but I'm on xp and he's on vista, though I doubt that would effect it).

And yeah make sure in game settings that the "Image File Extension: ." is set to pbm.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:44 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
I use 0.98d, so that shouldn't matter.

What do you mean by this?
GirikaCHEEZER said:
change the (C)Pixel string to something else, then hit ok, then go back, and once it's saved your string check the box, hit okay, then save the exe.

Do I change it with CE or something else?

Edit: the file extension is set to .pbm.

...you know I may simply try this again on a brand new CS, but with less fooling around.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:52 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Cyowolf1122 said:
Do I change it with CE or something else?

I mean (with CE) change the "(C)Pixel" to 1234, then click okay. Then go back (1234 should still be there) then check the box to remove the check then click okay. Then go back to game settings again and it should remain checked.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:02 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
No luck, every time I change it, it always reverts back to the (C) Pixel.

I go to game settings, change (C) Pixel to 1234, check the box and hit okay, then went back and saw that it reverted back to (C) Pixel. Tried it again, this time I left the box unchecked, same result.

And I swear I'm doing it right, it's driving me crazy!!!

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:09 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Cyowolf1122 said:
No luck, every time I change it, it always reverts back to the (C) Pixel.

I go to game settings, change (C) Pixel to 1234, check the box and hit okay, then went back and saw that it reverted back to (C) Pixel. Tried it again, this time I left the box unchecked, same result.

And I swear I'm doing it right, it's driving me crazy!!!

Start with a new CS? At this point I don't know.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:15 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Yeah, that's my bet.

I'm not gonna give up on CE, I want to make something epic!

Though, the first mod I release is going to be made with SW and it is non-canon to anything I do in the future, it's just a fun little mod that I am using to test my skills. Who knows, maybe it will see the light of day.

Back