Quick Modding/Hacking Answers Thread

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:48 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
What!?

goldenclaw13 said:
Well, I'm using Sue's Workshop, not sure if that makes a difference though...
Oh noes, you're using Sue's?
I dunno how SW works, so I'm not sure what could be the problem of your crashing....
Lace probably has something, though, since he mains with Sue's Workshop.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:51 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Well - I'm trying to figure out which editor is better, SW or CE... people say Cave Editor is better, but... I dunno. I'm sorta wanting an easier way to code and such, the tiles aren't that hard to manage...

I'll try editing an existing room, see what happens...

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:54 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Propaganda

goldenclaw13 said:
Well - I'm trying to figure out which editor is better, SW or CE... people say Cave Editor is better, but... I dunno. I'm sorta wanting an easier way to code and such, the tiles aren't that hard to manage...
Well, if you want easier coding, CE's script editor is very easy to read. Wistil even made it available separately for SW users.
CE was pretty cool to start with, but it was plagued with several bugs. But Wistil came in like a lightning bolt and blew those all away, making people favor it as their main CS editor.
I've heard SW still has a gain over CE with tile editing, but I've never used it, soo.... :D

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:57 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Mmm...well, I might download a new copy of CS and use Cave editor instead, just to compare them...

By the way, I just edited the Last Cave map, and I was succusfully able to teleport there...I guess it was the new room thing then...Yes, I think I will try Cave Editor :D

EDIT: Wow...errors, errors, errors...

I downloaded a new Cave Story, as well as Cave Editor, but whenever I make any (ANY) kind of change in Cave Editor and try to save, it says something like "Unable to save tileset" or "Unable to save map". It doesn't close, I just can't save.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:01 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
goldenclaw13 said:
Hey, I've created a teleport using codes from the game (Edited by me for the purpose of course), but everytime I try to use the door, it fades out normally, shows the next room's caption, and then causes an error and has to close. Any help anyone? :rolleyes:

It's a Windows error, isn't it?

Well, usually when you meet with this sort of error, it means that the tileset that you're using in the room that results in the error message has not had its tile properties set.

For every tileset .bmp file, there should be a .pxa file to accompany it (found in the "Stage" folder, together with the tileset .bmp's). This file contains the properties/behaviour/type of each tile in the tileset. Without this file, the map with the tileset in it wouldn't work.

The .pxa file is automatically created when you assign tiles with properties. This can be done in Sue's Workshop: At the toolbar at the top of the Sue's Workshop window, click Tools > Tileset editor. A window will then pop up. Select the tileset without the tile properties assigned in the drop-down menu and do stuff.

WARNING - DO NOT USE Sue's Workshop AND Cave Editor ON THE SAME .exe!!! It'll screw up sht.

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:06 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Pronouns: he/him
If you are using CE, don't forget to turn off the read-only in the pbm's properties.

Also, I had that happen, I believe I used either the same exe or used on that required bmps. Can't remember what it was, though, or how I solved it...

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:32 PM
Been here way too long...
question/suggestion:
is your cave story directory not read-only?
that should be what's causing the ce bug.

ah, nvm, I didn't see cyos post.
do it though.

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:08 PM
Lace said:
question/suggestion:
is your cave story directory not read-only?
that should be what's causing the ce bug.

ah, nvm, I didn't see cyos post.
do it though.

Ah, ok, when cyo said to make them not read-only, I thought he just meant the PBM's. Thanks guys, I'll keep working from here and see if anything pops up...

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:52 PM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I wasn't sure if it was worth making a thread to answer this.

What are your ideas on people adding facepics to their mods? (I'm talking about the characters that may have been memorable in the game, but pixel never drew any for them, eg. Chaco?)

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:48 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi im new to this fourm. Im having issues loading the game with .pbm mods in cave editor. Im trying to mod a the machine gun to look like the plasma rifle from halo. :D i found out the first issue of changing the memory to read only, but now when i try to load the game i get an error with just some scrambled letters on it... please help

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:56 PM
Oct 5, 2009 at 11:40 PM
You have to add (C)Pixel to the end of the pbm file in a hex editor

Or, since you're using cave editor, select "Remove (C)Pixel requirement from images) in game settings.

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:55 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Shoot

Vercci said:
What are your ideas on people adding facepics to their mods? (I'm talking about the characters that may have been memorable in the game, but pixel never drew any for them, eg. Chaco?)
Eh, go for it. It's your own mod after all :rolleyes:
Besides, I believe several other people have already done that, and I'm planning on it myself for later parts in my own mod. :D;
Don't forget, the face.PBM can be extended to support at least 60 portraits!

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:03 AM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
Pronouns: she/her
Awesome! :rolleyes:

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:33 AM
I didn't mean it like I might be breaking any boundaries. I'm just wondering if people would actually be interested in it, or if people would just shrug it off, putting all the work that you spent into getting it to look right, to suddenly go down the drain.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:37 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shrug*

Some will like it, some will go 'Meh', some will maybe even dislike. Hard to say what everyone will think, but it'd be a nice touch to the mod, overall.
You shouldn't be overly worried about what others are thinking about it, anyways. I'd be doing it for the sole reasoning of wanting to have portraits for all the characters, not because someone would like it. That's just a side-affect :rolleyes:
So roll with what you really want, that's the best way to do it.
Would extra portraits interest you?
[/Psychology on games in general]

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:31 PM
This seems like a thing that you professional modders would run into alot.

In one cutscene that I'm working on, After a bit of dialog and an <EVE jump, you can hear the sound of text scrolling as some things happen in the background. If you hold down the jump button, you can make the cutscene progress faster than usual, and the scrolling text faster sound plays. Anyone know what I have done wrong?

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:50 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Pronouns: he/him
Maybe the event you are <EVEing to doesn't exist? Idk...

Also, superflous text makes it do the typewriter sound, I think.

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:06 PM
The cutscene works perfectly, other than the sound, the annoying thing is you can speed up what happens in the cutscene by holding down jump.

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Vercci said:
In one cutscene that I'm working on, After a bit of dialog and an <EVE jump, you can hear the sound of text scrolling as some things happen in the background. If you hold down the jump button, you can make the cutscene progress faster than usual, and the scrolling text faster sound plays. Anyone know what I have done wrong?
wedge of cheese said:
Maybe the event you are <EVEing to doesn't exist? Idk...
Yeah...
That usually happens when the event it reaches doesn't have an <END, usually because it's not in the script, so it runs that text thing and moves on to the next event, repeating it until it finds an <END to stop at, which apparently leads it to your cut-scene event. I'd double check it if I were you.
I've had it happen a few random times on me, where I've yet to figure out the problem, but usually it's because of this.

Back