Quick Modding/Hacking Answers Thread

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Keron said:
Sorry to be a bother, but I cannot find a list of the static events (19=bed-resting?). Is that a fixed value or does the action actually link to a flag stored in one of the maps or something?
If you're talking about the event ran when Quote interacts with one, it's located in the Head.TSC, where all the 'static' events go.
Code:
<KEY<MSG
Do you want to rest?<YNJ0000<FAO0004<CMU0000<WAI0020<CLR.....<NOD<CLO
<WAI0050
<LI+1000<SOU0020<MYD0002<MSG
Health restored.<NOD<CLO<RMU<FAI0004<END

Any event located here can be ran from any map, so it's useful for storing events that will be used very frequently.
Keron said:
add: to be more specific with .EXE-hacking, I really just want to toy around with the weapons as of now. I saw the 2x/bounce speed hack and am wondering if attributes can be applied from weapon to weapon (like a trio of gravity-affected fireballs taken from the third-level Missile Launcher, or a first-level Nemesis with explosive shots, as taken from the Missile Launcher attribute. That sort of wacky stuff).
Now that involves Assembly hacking.
dooey is very helpful about anything Assembly-wise, so you should check out some of his threads, they've got some very nice stuff already laid out for easy editing.
He's also pretty helpful about 'tutoring' in Assembly, and typically helps anyone who asks. But he's got college now, which means he's got less time to devote to here, and he's a little less than happy to help anyone on a mod without evidence that they've got some work done. This stems from newb members asking for help from him, only to leave shortly after, without a single demo left behind to show the fruits of his help....

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:00 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Hi, just wondering.

I have no knowledge of assembly as of yet. So I ask this.

Given my lack of knowledge, how long would it take me to add another weapon to the game (While keeping ALL the originals) Is it even possible?

(I'm going to learn some assembly eventually. I just wanna keep working on this mod until I know the majority of the TSC commands without having to look at the TSC.txt that I printed out :D)

I know that it would involve drawing sprites, which I can do. It would also use a charge system like the spur, Ideally.

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Pronouns: he/him
Hmm, I'm not sure but I think adding another weapon, while theoretically possible, would be quite a bit more difficult than just modifying an existing one. If I were in your position, I would just keep it simple and modify an existing weapon, although that's really up to you.

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:13 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
dooey is... pretty helpful about 'tutoring' in Assembly, and typically helps anyone who asks. But he's got college now, which means he's got less time to devote to here, and he's a little less than happy to help anyone on a mod without evidence that they've got some work done. This stems from newb members asking for help from him, only to leave shortly after, without a single demo left behind to show the fruits of his help....
I wouldn't even bother to ask without having any work to show!

Why does the official game have blank events in the top-left of practically every map? Can these with events 0 & flags 0 be safely deleted?

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:16 PM
I think you're talking about NPC's. If they have NOTHING attributed to them, It should be safe to delete them.

I'd reccomend not deleting EVENT 0 though.

Also, while I'm here.

Can you have 2 events running at the same time? as in have an event that lets you move around at the start of the map (that will delete tiles from the map after a bit of time) and be able to interact with signs and doors at the same time?

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM
naw, sorry.

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:23 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Why is event 0 crucial? (I'm referring to entities who have Event 0, Entity ID 0, Flags 0.)
It's too bad that the engine reads scripts so linearly...

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
This has always been a bit of an enigma to me. I know that event 0000 is just <END, and as far as I know it won't hurt anything to take out those null entities.

It's possible they are leftovers from whatever program Pixel created to lay out maps and entities.

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:07 AM
delete it.
and hopefully nothing bad will happen.

trust me.

Sep 27, 2009 at 2:37 AM
no.
it shouldn't.

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:11 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Idk about the dummy entities, but don't delete event 0 because it's used as a target for <FLJ (or any other conditional jump commands) for convenience. Basically, if you say <FLJ[some flag]:0000 it's like saying "if the flag is set, stop the script".

Also, for entities that have sprite 0 but some nonzero event, you might wanna keep them 'cause they might be <MNPed or <CNPed to somewhere/something else in a script.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:50 AM
yeah, just remembered bout that, it's mostly for ynj tho. replacing the end w/ "you suck" or something would be funny though.

deleting dumb ents should be clean, though.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:13 AM
Another question.

While editing the face.pbm. Is there a color that means transparency?

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:28 PM
blac is automatically transparent in all pbms.

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:51 PM
Ooh, just in the nick of time. Thanks

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:52 AM
<INI does not clear skipflags, correct?

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:06 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
I assumed it did, but I went ahead and tested it anyways.
<INI does clear skipflags.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:56 AM
okay.
when I <LDP, what event runs?

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:02 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
At first I though it'd be the first event on whatever map you loaded on, but apparently it's event #0000 that runs.
I stuck <SOU0050 on #0000, and whenever I loaded the game or ran the <LDP command, there was a high pitch enemy screech :D

Back