[not a]MOD - Release 3, Incomplete Revision

May 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ZarroTsu said:
Something I noticed while I was working on JN's underside is that HV triggers seem to be affected by a sort of omnidirectional gravity of some sort, and can in fact fall off into the abyss.
Uhh
How it's caused and why it happens to some HV triggers and not others, I haven't a clue (I think it has something to do with draw distance - the HV triggers don't actually stay in the air where you put them until the map is actually drawn around them, and they can fall a few tiles if your map is large enough and you enter the map from a far enough point away).
Well I guess that's a reasonable enough assumption?
But no, almost everything in CS goes always regardless of where the camera is. Some NPCs obv. have "don't shoot / jump unless the player is near" but that is the exception rather than the norm. Also H/V's aren't affected by gravity (partly because gravity isn't actually a thing). What's more likely the case is that your H/V is starting off way at the back end of the map over an excessively long pit, and it has to race over to where you are and can't move fast enough before your clumsy ass falls down a hole. It's just a square collidable object that moves somewhat faster than you to try and always stay lined up with your character.
But if you're doing one over a bottomless pit, put a no-npc block underneath it somewhere to keep it from killing itself.
I'm not sure how that would have any effect. Unless slope tiles were messing things up...

May 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
★DEMO UP!★

I finally finished it up! There isn't much content, I know, but it's pretty good for what it is...at least, in my opinion.

There is one thing to remember:stop and smell the roses. Take your time and look at everything.

Oh, and if you feel like snarking at me for the effects of a certain item, go right ahead.

Here's the link!

:chin: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/166214930/%5Bno%5DMOD%20HERE.zip :chin:

Enjoy! :D ^_^ :debug: :mahin: :orangebell: :) :3 c:

May 18, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Aww, no intro? D:
Oops I'm getting an error. Better fix that!
C:\Users\Thomas\Desktop\[no]MOD HERE\data\stage\PrtWhite.bmp,0
C:\Users\Thomas\Desktop\[no]MOD HERE\data\stage\PrtCave.bmp,0
C:\Users\Thomas\Desktop\[no]MOD HERE\data\stage\PrtWhite.bmp,0
C:\Users\Thomas\Desktop\[no]MOD HERE\data\stage\PrtCave.bmp,0

May 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
You should add 19 to the blue in the loading screen's purple

Also regarding the loading screen I see that you've added two extra lines of text, those will not show up without some fairly simple ASM.

Also what COOL said

May 18, 2013 at 1:57 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Aww, dangit. I never got any D:

I'll try to fix it. Sorry for messing things up so quickly ^_^;

May 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
I liked the "Cave Story *except not really*" thing, it made me giggle. c:

But yeah, what Dunc and Cool said. It's potential must be showneth :UUU

May 18, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I'm glad you liked that ^_^

And there's more good news! It turns out that the problem was the computer somehow copying it wrong and deleting a bunch of core files.

So, uh...FIX'D! Go redownload it, and tell me what you think! :D

Sir Dunc said:
I see that you've added two extra lines of text, those will not show up without some fairly simple ASM.
Yes, I've known about that for a while...but I figured I could brave the deep, dark, scary Assembly waters later. Right now, I'm perfectly content clinging to my TSC island. :critter:

Dunc said:
You should add 19 to the blue in the loading screen's purple
...wut?

May 18, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Professional Whatever
Beautiful.

- In some of your dialogue, there are more than three lines of text that show up between NODs. That can make it a little difficult to read for some people.
- The tiles in test room look a little odd. At least the square ones that don't connect to anything. It looks a little blocky and could look a bit better. (That statement didn't even sound right to me, if you want a screenshot of what I mean then I can make that happen)

May 18, 2013 at 2:45 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
MagicPortals said:
Beautiful.

- In some of your dialogue, there are more than three lines of text that show up between NODs. That can make it a little difficult to read for some people.
- The tiles in test room look a little odd. At least the square ones that don't connect to anything. It looks a little blocky and could look a bit better. (That statement didn't even sound right to me, if you want a screenshot of what I mean then I can make that happen)
• Hmm...I figured that someone who read more slowly could simply let go of the button to read the first line before it scrolled.

Well, maybe I'm just biased since I'm a fast reader. I'll be sure to add another <NOD here and there c:

• ...Um the whole game is a test room D:

Nevertheless, I understand I'm not the best at maps. I'll try to make them look better.

May 18, 2013 at 2:50 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
I love it. I want it. I NEEEEED IT

The use of jukeboxes is awesome, the humor caused my lack of sides, and the overall design is lovely. It seems your making good PROGRESS, Polaris. C:

May 18, 2013 at 5:13 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I've come to an understanding of this mod's story, despite you not listing it. I'm sure the very string that controls time and space was ripped to fragments after all was glued together, roughly, with empty edges still showing. Without further explanation, the story...

You're in a cave, similar to the one seen after saving an island inhabited by an endangered mimiga race. A cat greets you with enthusiasm and lends you two of your original guns he theft from you. Keep this in mind, it'll build up to a shocking moral. He brings you into the past, a disoriented past. This room isn't what it was last time you saw it though, the caved in walls have sunken into the bottomless pit in which dead bodies still float today. However, this twisted past is brought into a trance. A trance with a more evil villain, where he original stood. Your curiosity brings you outside a creek, where that cat you saw earlier attempts to crush you. His army still lurks despite that best effort to rid the evil genius.
p168249-0-yolo5.png

Climbing down the chilly platforms, even his army can barely move. You spot a maze like structure, it looks an enemy base. Your struggle pressing down on the trigger suggests land may never be found! Luckily, a green haired guy seemingly familiar stares at you as if speech was about to come out... he was a statue. Sneaking by him, a door extremely crucial to your life appears in your limited vision. A sharp egg and an old computer are what you were looking for, but yet... a heat smudges over the metal that feels unpleasantly familiar. A window with glass that looks like it was roughly smashed with a hammer approaches viewing sight. You fit perfectly inside it, but what you feel is something you haven't felt in a while.
p168249-1-yolo4.png

A darkened feeling that makes you less excited to live enters your body, lodging it further and further inside what has already been broken. You sigh in disgust, this is all too similar. Your vision improves over time, helping your recognition of falling spikes. An alien type creature explains how an explosion took place yesterday, someone else told you this a couple years ago. You think of possibilities of how this works and how you can stop it. The teleporter you saw and the one you see today... you can piece together all that happened. Someone or something sent you to a past. Not the same one, a slightly altered one. A powerful cat, giving you two of your weapons you once wield? He knows you rather well, but you don't know him. You're clearly in some sort of representation of the past.
p168249-2-yolo3.png

p168249-3-yolo.png

(Long story short, Quote meets a mysterious being who deceived him. Brought into a presentation of the past, he meets King and Toroko and finally feels happy, despite his struggle getting to them...)

May 18, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Cooked Chef said:
I love it. I want it. I NEEEEED IT

The use of jukeboxes is awesome, the humor caused my lack of sides, and the overall design is lovely. It seems your making good PROGRESS, Polaris. C:
Thank you so very much, Chef! ~^_^~

It means a lot to me, since I worked pretty hard to add lots of little details. I'm glad you liked it! £=

ChimeApple said:
★Ballad of the Broken Robot★

...I swear I blocked off that door. D:

Oh well. That's a pretty interesting detour you took, Chime. It's not the the intended path at all, but I suppose you get bonus cookies for making that gigantic documentary. ^_^

/give 2 cookies

If that's what you want to believe the story is, go right ahead. I won't stop you. :)

★★★

*Brawl Announcer voice*

NO PROGRESS.

*audience goes Aww...*

Well, I got MyChar finished, added in a creepy Easter egg, and released the Demo. That counts as progress, right?

But after that, I didn't do much of anything. Meh.

So instead of a Progress Report, I'll give some commentary about the demo! If I can, I'll add some new screenshots later, too, now that it wouldn't cause any spoilers.

★The Zipper was inspires from my terrible map-making skills. ^_^;

★Has anyone tried the Charm Necklace yet? If you have, what was your first reaction? ;3

★Despite appearances, the intro /is/ slightly edited. Watch the whole thing.

That's it for now...I'm tired.

May 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Uuuuuuuuhh...

I jumped of the zipper towards the edge of the map, and it played the normal ending.

._____________________. wat

May 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
... I had an adventure ...

@ChimeApple - what?! Wait... how do you have 99 HP? did I miss something O_O

*cough anyways, here's what happened :
First I explored the proper way! Noticed all the nice details you added...
Checking the entrance to the Balcony, statues, altars tucked away, many great things to explore xD
I did notice Chaco's dramashelf only gives you the inital dialogue the first time, unless I forgot I already checked it... xD But, I was thinking it's using the variable that doesn't go away until you close the game?
(Love the mp3 ORG player)

Next I restarted, and discovered the CAT.

OMG! That was a pretty hard battle... I used ONLY the SPUR. And managed to win!! [Meaning I didn't get the rocket and leave and come back~]
It required ridiclous timing and dodging... but I felt pretty epic when I won ;D

Then I discovered you are supposed to leave, with the rocket and come back in and fight it for real -_-... If you killed the CAT once though, he becomes invincible... I did over 9000 damage to him with the rocket, and he lived! Guess he really did become... E...t.e..rnal.... or something xD

Skipping ahead, I FINALLY FINISHED THAT ROOM. ASDASSASA%$$#%$#%$#%^&%$&
SDASDSAKGOOG O^K#$:^O:#$^OJ$#^:J:Jo I killed EVERY SINGLE HOPPY from TOP to BOTTOM...
.............. But no victory parade or amazing truck....

Ah well, it was painful to fight all of those guys with 1 HP... they keep ambushing me...

Now going back in time, the first time I beat the hoppy's I didn't have a booster, didn't know about that secret...
So I went down to the bottom and... GOT STUCK trying to make it to The Little's door... ARHHHHHH

Then I went back because I wanted to see if Kazuma did anything, and... Nah... ;_;

I went further in... and discovered ChimeApple's Story. Going through the Egg-Corridor and finally back to Mimiga Village ;D
I played all the way to Egg Corridor fixed [time paradox corridor], beat Igor, and I think I went into the save room after saving Sue...

Then I was transported to the ALL NEW SECRET ROOM! Where I gained a second necklace... and a cat giving me a Booster ... ;D
That's how I figured out about that secret~

I went the same way back, to return to the destroyed Egg Corridor, when I ran into a PARADOX. Apparently either something I triggered, or when I killed the Sisters this time; each time I try to warp to Arthur's house I'm returned to where I fought the Sisters... D:

THUS BEGAN THE TRUE JOURNEY

Pictures :

I used everything I learned to make it to Grasstown and beyond while toting the Booster and Ultima Rockets xD
p168252-0-untitled1.gif

p168252-1-untitled2.gif

p168252-2-untitled3.gif

My journey ended when I went to visit Jenka with the puppy...
And "WHAT EVEN"
Happened... I used the state of the art map system to try to navigate a way out, but there was no way... Finally I found a door...
But when I opened it up and looked through...

p168252-3-untitled4.gif

p168252-4-untitled5.gif

I think I discovered the source of the Paradox was JENKA, and I just freed her, cause then the game crashed as it thundered outside....

(Final comments, nice work with the true parts of the mod xD That was one epic hoppy cat ghost general... and the bridge transitions, org player, and humor were fun :p)

PS : Curly's Underwear also functions as a music player ;D I guess he puts over his head and hears music?!

May 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Okay...let's see...

BroiledChef said:
Uuuuuuuuhh...

I jumped of the zipper towards the edge of the map, and it played the normal ending.

._____________________. wat
That happened due to Gateway being made from Balcony2.

The bug is annoyingly common and I'm never sure how to fix it :(

Nevertheless, fixed via tightening the H/V trigger and deleting the ending events. Yay!

As for you, X-Calibar...

Your post is überlong, as usual, but in a good way, also as usual. ^_^

My comments/answers are in bold.

X-Calibar said:

@ChimeApple - what?! Wait... how do you have 99 HP? did I miss something O_O I just noticed that. How DID he have 99 HP? Doesn't seem very legit...

*cough anyways, here's what happened :
First I explored the proper way! Noticed all the nice details you added...
Checking the entrance to the Balcony, statues, altars tucked away, many great things to explore xD
I did notice Chaco's dramashelf only gives you the inital dialogue the first time, unless I forgot I already checked it... xD But, I was thinking it's using the variable that doesn't go away until you close the game? Thank you. I'm glad you liked the details. :D

As for Chaco's shelf...I think it's just you forgetting. I'm not sure what you're trying to say and I've never had any problems with it.

(Love the mp3 ORG player)
Thanks! :3

Next I restarted, and discovered the CAT.

OMG! That was a pretty hard battle... I used ONLY the POLAR STAR. And managed to win!! [Meaning I didn't get the rocket and leave and come back~]
It required ridiclous timing and dodging... but I felt pretty epic when I won ;D
Woah...that's very impressive. Great job, X! You deserve a cookie. ;3

Got the •Cookie•!

Then I discovered you are supposed to leave, with the rocket and come back in and fight it for real -_-... If you killed the CAT once though, he becomes invincible... I did over 9000 damage to him with the rocket, and he lived! Guess he really did become... E...t.e..rnal.... or something xD
To be honest, I only added in the Ultima Rockets because I, myself, found it impossible to get past the Hoppies with the Polar Star. Originally, this was fine because I simply didn't want you going outside.

Later on, when I gave the option of exploring Outer Wall, I had to add the Ultima Rockets to make the sequence surviveable.

As for the cat, that was a mess-up with flags I didn't notice. FIX'D! :)

Skipping ahead, I FINALLY FINISHED THAT ROOM. ASDASSASA%$$#%$#%$#%^&%$&
SDASDSAKGOOG O^K#$:^O:#$^OJ$#^:J:Jo I killed EVERY SINGLE HOPPY from TOP to BOTTOM...
.............. But no victory parade or amazing truck....

Ah well, it was painful to fight all of those guys with 1 HP... they keep ambushing me...
Aww, sorry. I'll add in a victory thingie later...I'm not sure how, but I'll figure it out.
Now going back in time, the first time I beat the hoppy's I didn't have a booster, didn't know about that secret...
So I went down to the bottom and... GOT STUCK trying to make it to The Little's door... ARHHHHHH
Fixed. You can no longer get stuck, and in fact it is possible to get to The Littles without the Booster now. Not much point, but still.
Then I went back because I wanted to see if Kazuma did anything, and... Nah... ;_;
Okay! Kazuma says something now.
I went further in... and discovered ChimeApple's Story. Going through the Egg-Corridor and finally back to Mimiga Village ;D
I played all the way to Egg Corridor fixed [time paradox corridor], beat Igor, and I think I went into the save room after saving Sue...

Then I was transported to the ALL NEW SECRET ROOM! Where I gained a second necklace... and a cat giving me a Booster ... ;D
That's how I figured out about that secret~
Ohhh, right. I replaced EgEnd1.

And Unseen Cave isn't very secret, Calibar. You mean you never found it? D:

I went the same way back, to return to the destroyed Egg Corridor, when I ran into a PARADOX. Apparently either something I triggered, or when I killed the Sisters this time; each time I try to warp to Arthur's house I'm returned to where I fought the Sisters... D:
No idea. I haven't messed with the Sisters, so...
THUS BEGAN THE TRUE JOURNEY

Pictures :

I used everything I learned to make it to Grasstown and beyond while toting the Booster and Ultima Rockets xD
p168252-0-untitled1.gif

p168252-1-untitled2.gif

This pic is unintentionally funny :p
p168252-2-untitled3.gif

My journey ended when I went to visit Jenka with the puppy...
And "WHAT EVEN"
Happened... I used the state of the art map system to try to navigate a way out, but there was no way... Finally I found a door...
But when I opened it up and looked through...

p168252-3-untitled4.gif

p168252-4-untitled5.gif

I think I discovered the source of the Paradox was JENKA, and I just freed her, cause then the game crashed as it thundered outside....
Hmm...about What Even...
It's a creepy Easter Egg I added in at the last minute, since I didn't have Shooting Range started. You only get there if you ignore the game's pleas to leave the door to Shooting Range alone.

That gibberish at the end actually means something, by the way. I just can't tell you what...

And there's no way Jenka is the source of the "Paradox". I'm not copying Jenka's Nightmare here. :droll:

Did you like the game crash? I thought it was a good way to end it. :3

(Final comments, nice work with the true parts of the mod xD That was one epic hoppy cat ghost general... and the bridge transitions, org player, and humor were fun :p) Once Gain, thanks. I worked hard on this c:

PS : Curly's Underwear also functions as a music player ;D I guess he puts over his head and hears music?! Ugh. I haven't even touched Curly's Panties... :<

I'll see what I can do, though.
Thank you for taking the time to look at my mod, X-Calibar ^_^
I have taken some screenshots, which I'll share later.

May 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Doesn't seem legit...
CaveShark. Yes, it's in fact not legitimate...

Give me credit though, the missile launcher was extremely hard to obtain! I'm glad you didn't notice my hacked machine gun.

May 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
The missile launcher isn't very hard to find, you silly. And I don't see how the Machine Gun is hacked...

★★★

Here are those screenshots I made! I'll have to add these to the OP sometime.

Intro
diph.php
Title screen
diph.php
Silence Bridge
diph.php
Under Silence Bridge
diph.php
Finding the Charm Necklace
diph.php
Charm Necklace's Effects
diph.php

Oh, and I'm going to update the links with bugfixes soon, so yay for that ^_^

May 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM
You can get the Machine Gun legitimately?
Oreally?

Seriously though, those hoppies make the Ultimate Missile Launcher a horrifically long journey alone.

May 21, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
LemonBell said:
You can get the Machine Gun legitimately? Oreally?

Seriously though, those hoppies make the Ultimate Missile Launcher a horrifically long journey alone.
Well, going down the path you took, you could easily grab the Unfinished Polar Star from First Cave and give it to Curly.

As for the Ultima Rockets...well, it's supposed to be hard. You're in the middle of a warzone. :p

In fact, Hoppy's Domain used to be even harder. Earlier on, I had about 250 Hoppies focused on the area you arrive at. You didn't even get any missiles. :trollface:

Later on, I had to spread them around, and later later on, I had to delete a few dozen since the game crashes when faced with about 500+ Hoppies. Good thing I raised the difficulty a little by increasing their health a slight amount. :awesomeface:
★★★★★
I made a shiny new update for the OP, but due to technical difficulties I can't replace it just yet. :<

Nevertheless, be aware that the link's been updated with Revision 1. This revision doesn't add much, but it does address a few of the problems brought up by CookedChef and X-Calibar. So that's good. ^_^

May 22, 2013 at 4:59 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin

So I finally took some time to play the modification. Here is my harsh criticism:

1. i REAlly Think Ti seXiySTety. No exceptions.
  2. With Ultima rockets, the objective is a bit simple: Kill them all?
  3. Code:
    <TRAdie <- Well.. thats definitely a way to crash the game.
  4. You have an excellent taste in what music to put in the (Currently) limited jukebox
  5. Keep practising. Frequent Practise makes clever mods.
  6. I don't know what to say on chacos house and the silent bridge... maybe when they get further on to completion.
  7. charm necklace is Ultimate swag neat.

The quirky / totally not random events made it fun. I almost wish I had gone into hoppy domain without knowing what to expect, because irony is my favorite thing. I'll be watching this [NOT A]MOD.

Oh... and I made a few simple edits to make hoppy ambush more... "advanced"

Try it with these events... see if you like it...
Code:
<AMJ0010:0420<MNA<FAI0002<KEY<FON0600:0016<WAI0016<PRI<MSGCat:COME,MY MINIONS!<NOD DESTROY THE
ROBOT! RAILGUN FORMATION!<NOD<CLR<FOM0016
Ohhhhhh crap.<NOD<CLO<CMU0034<BSL0600<END

<MNA<FAI0002<PRI<SAT<MSGThere is an army of 400+ hoppies.<NOD<CLR
Kill them all.<CMU0032<WAI0070<CLO<BSL0600<END

<PRI<BSL0000<CLO<MSGHa...<NODthere...<NODare many other
generals...<NODwe will be...<NODe...<NODter...<NOD
nal...........<NOD<WAI0050<CLO<FLA<SOU0017<DNA0213<END