EVER
use cave editor's pbmp editor
It is literally the worst thing
Paint.net is godmode

May 13, 2013 at 3:58 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Using CE's pbm editor willingly is one of the criterion for being clinically insane

May 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Lungicsanaroul said:
No
Don't
EVER
use cave editor's pbmp editor
It is literally the worst thing
Paint.net is godmode
Tom Dixon said:
Using CE's pbm editor willingly is one of the criterion for being clinically insane
...I still don't understand why the PBMP editor is so terrible, but fine, I'll use Paint.net.
...clinically insane
Who knows?

★★★★★★
:debug:[Not an]UPDATE:debug:

To be honest, I haven't gotten very far on the actual maps, especially with some other stuff I'm doing. However, I have made some cosmetic changes and stuff that I'm pretty happy with.

I slightly changed the textbox to have little green gradients and pink corners, and I think the effect was surprisingly striking. I really hadn't thought it would look all that great, to be honest. I also changed the hands in textbox.pbm to Polar Star icons for fun, and I changed the loading graphic to purple and added a "please wait" to the bottom. I'm not sure how to make the whole thing appear...but I know it's possible due to Doors having a giant loading graphic in Amamichi.

I messed with some weapon icons and graphics, too. Mostly the Super Missile Launcher. However, I made an awesome new Polar Star icon too, which I'm quite proud of. :mrgreen:

I also made the ORG Player, which is based on another item, a sort of light sea-green. Eh.

I still need to make the Charm Necklace look better, mostly because the sides are a little vague despite being bright yellow. I think I need to add a darker yellow for contrast.

Probably my biggest change is to MyChar. Yesterday in its entirety was spent working on changing the Mimiga Mask portion for the purposes of the Charm Necklace, and man, it was hard, and I only got the left standing part done.

However, I'm reallyreallyhappy with what I've done, for 2 good reasons:

1. I originally considered just using a thing posted on "Share Your MyChar", but I realized it looked awkward and ugly. I ended up not using it at all and just spriting my own character with Quote as a base. That is awesome, considering my drawing "skills".
2. IT TURNED OUT AWESMAZING. I was seriously awed by how good it ended up.

I'm so very happeh :D
I can't wait to keep working on it!
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
Continued today, May 13.

I kept working on MyChar for most of today. Now I have both a left-facing and right-facing sprite, plus jumping sprites. Once again, I'm incredibly pleased with how it turned out. There are one or two minor gripes that could be improved, but I'm not sure how, so I'll have to wait until after the demo release to get some help with it for purposes of not spoiling it. As it is, it's pretty much everything I've envisioned so far. Awesome. :3

Okay! Late afternoon, and I finally got a chance to download Paint.net onto the USB I keep everything on, by heavy request. Using it, I'm pleasantly surprised! It really is super-simple and intuitive to use. This will definitely be my default image editor from now on. :D

That's all for now! After I finish MyChar, I'll resume taping things up for a demo. Wish me luck! :chin:

May 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
Sounds like its gonna be great.
Can't wait to see what the ()Charm Necklace() is for!

May 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
EnlightenedOne said:
Sounds like its gonna be great.
Can't wait to see what the ()Charm Necklace() is for!
Aww, thanks. I would hope so! ^_^

And I'm glad you're curious! I hope I'm able to perform to expectations. Anyway, I think I've said this in one of the old Progress Reports, but the ★Charm Necklace★ changes some text, letting Quote narrate himself. However, it will probably be incomplete by the demo release, because it's going to take some work to add the new facepics. I'm not so mean that I would take the Charm Necklace away altogether, though - you'll definitely get to try it in the demo. It has a somewhat awesome effect, in my opinion. :mrgreen:

May 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Polaris said:
Okay! Late afternoon, and I finally got a chance to download Paint.net onto the USB I keep everything on, by heavy request.
Hey, I have two USBs I use for everything, too! We should start a club :debug:
Anywho, glad to hear you making a bit of head way.

May 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
the "I have no idea what dropbox is for" club?

May 14, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
They could also be part of the "I have no idea what dropbox is" club. Members of this club probably also hold membership in the club you described though.

May 15, 2013 at 5:30 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Umm...I can't speak for Ultimate Nerd-meister here, but I have a Dropbox, and I DO use it. I simply like keeping all of my things on my USB because I don't always have access to the internet, and I don't have my own computer or laptop.

The USB is more convenient than Dropbox, and should I ever lose it, all of the important things on it would be backed up on Dropbox as well. I think that's a pretty fair use of it. :critter:

Ultimate Hellbane said:
Hey, I have two USBs I use for everything, too!
We should start a club:debug:
Anywho, glad to hear you making a bit of head way.
Well, I only use one USB, but whatever.

Thanks!

And yes, we totally should start a club :p

May 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Noxid said:

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
They could also be part of the "I have no idea what dropbox is" club.
Actually, I DO know what dropbox is and I know what it's for, Nox and GIR I:(
And secondly, although I prefer the simplicity of using physical USBs for my stuff over cloud-based backup sites, I have to ask if dropbox is free(in the storage capacity department).

May 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Professional Whatever
why don't you just check the website

May 16, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
Is Dropbox free?
Yuppers. All you need is an email account.

However, you start off with only 2GB to your name.

★★★★★★★★★★
Mini update!

I got off my image editing tangent and got actual stuff done! And all rejoiced.
p168230-0-emot3.gif

I got so fed up with Gateway that I finally did what I should have done long ago.

That is, split it into 2 separate maps.

Before, I had the cliff at the end of Silence Bridge to the right of the mountain below the bridge. In theory, it's easy enough to keep the player from going past the cliff to the mountain, with a generous gap and H/V triggers that bump you back.

In practice, H/V triggers are impossible to figure out or work with, and I realised after a while that I was wasting my time and generating frustration for a concept that originated from laziness and had no value whatsoever.

So basically I took ten minutes and solved a problem that's been lingering for days.

I'm an idiot :(

But on the bright side, I got to mess around with the "Mountain" side of Gateway's map name. It is thusly christened "AAAAAAAAAA~". :3

And on the glaringly-brighter side, that means Gateway is pretty much done! Right now, both paths only go to Debug House, which I made as a placeholder area since I really want to get you people playing this sometime this week. Therefore, my only goals right now are to get the Shooting Range from Unseen Cave done, and to finish MyChar. Hopefully I can finish it up by Friday and deliver it hot off the grill! :D

...even if it's only five minutes, it needs to be a good five minutes. ^_^;

Ciao! I'll keep chipping away, don't you worry. :debug:

May 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Polaris said:
Yuppers. All you need is an email account.

However, you start off with only 2GB to your name.
Yeah, see that's the thing that gets me with sites like dropbox. Although I DO like that they offer free usage of the site, but they only give you a limited number of GBs until you either use it up or pay up the member fee to get unlimited data storage, but thats just my thing. But that aside, more progress is good. Keep up the good work :).

May 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Professional Whatever
When are you ever going to use 2 gbs for cloud sharing/you can easily get more for free/if you really need more make another account

May 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Hard drives are so 2010, everything goes on the cloud
EVERYTHING

May 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
DropBox is for losers people who use an infierior OS the average thing
Ubuntu 1 is for winners people who use a serpierior OS something different

May 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Dunc2403 said:
Why does your OS have anything to do with using DB
Like, anything at all
This is just wild speculation on my part but I think the idea is that with ubuntu you could basically have/make your own little server and essentially set up and run your own dropbox, but with unlimited storage (well, limited to your hardware capacity but still).

Also I wouldn't take OS advice from a guy who can't spell superior/serperior (if it's the latter then I'd recommend taking OS advice from him even less).

May 17, 2013 at 5:29 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Ultima said:
blah blah blah dropbox stuff
AAAAA EVERYONE SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY :muscledoc:
p168010-0-emotcrying.gif
:muscledoc:

Ahem.

★★★★★★★★★★

So, not very good progress today.

On one hand, the main content is tested and by now, it's pretty much bug free! It's still a mere five-minute demo, but I would nevertheless be proud to release this thing to the world.

However...

On the other paw, I was working on the MyChar today and made some progress when I was forced to go do something. When I got back some hours later, I opened the lid and turned it back on. As soon as I got back in, Windows restarted for updates I had completely forgotten about, with no option to cancel them. So I got to watch an hour's worth of MyChar work go down the drain because I hadn't saved. (I had had to leave in a hurry and I wasn't thinking.)

It will be easy enough to redo everything tomorrow, but...ugh. Rather annoying. I'm still intent on releasing my little mod on Friday, so I suppose I'll just have to finish MyChar tomorrow, Shooting Range be damned. :p

I'll git'r done, dontcha worry.
p163111-0-emotshobon.gif

May 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Been here way too long...
Polaris said:
In practice, H/V triggers are impossible to figure out or work with, and I realised after a while that I was wasting my time and generating frustration for a concept that originated from laziness and had no value whatsoever.
Something I noticed while I was working on JN's underside is that HV triggers seem to be affected by a sort of omnidirectional gravity of some sort, and can in fact fall off into the abyss (and slide up and down slopes!). How it's caused and why it happens to some HV triggers and not others, I haven't a clue (I think it has something to do with draw distance - the HV triggers don't actually stay in the air where you put them until the map is actually drawn around them, and they can fall a few tiles if your map is large enough and you enter the map from a far enough point away). But if you're doing one over a bottomless pit, put a no-npc block underneath it somewhere to keep it from killing itself.