Curly Brace's Story *FIRST DEMO*

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:42 AM
"Huzzah!"
Some weapons could definitely be one of a kind. The Nemesis certainly isn't. The Fireball and Bubbler could be – they're unusual enough. The Snake almost certainly is.
Agreed

Not necessarily. It could be that he's never seen either weapon before, but happens to understand how they both work once he sees them.
Meh...Just seems a little farfetched.

The machine gun is nothing at all like the polar star. This is like suggesting that you upgrade your washing machine to a dryer. They're just not similar enough for such an upgrade to make sense.
...Lawl. Yeah I guess your right about that. Yet there should be a reason for her losing the polar star, since she obviously wouldn't have one forever. I mean why should she trade her Machine gun for Quotes polar star when she HAS a polar star. Kinda thought 2 birds 1 stone idea. Hell they could have destroyed the polar star since it was her weapon when they captured her and they could give her a machine gun since the mimigas seems to have machine guns. The bullets they use look pretty much the same.

I... don't remember this happening...
p43180-0-lv1lv2.png

Size difference.

Now, this almost makes sense... however, the machine gun is almost certainly a projectile weapon, so an "energy core" from the polar star would be useless to it (assuming the polar star is even an energy weapon in the first place; it's likely, though).
I can agree with that as much as I can't. Because it's true, the machine gun takes time to reload and does NOT have infinite ammunition; however, it shoots at a rate much faster than the polar star. The polar star is just 2 shots, the machine gun is not only 3, but it's very rapid. With such a rapid increase of energy usage the core would be exhausted. Since the ammo seems to recharge on it's own, one could assume that said thing has an energy core it just needs time to charge after being used for such a prolonged period of time. Meaning it does have an energy core. Then again, if the polar stars energy core couldn't handle it while in the polar star, how could it in the machine gun would be the problem. Then again, this isn't my mod, so I'll let it up to the creator on what to do with that stuff.

Why does she need a weapon like the blade? Just because Quote had a certain weapon, doesn't mean that Curly must've had a similar weapon.

Granted. She doesn't.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Linknight said:
(I'm stuck at year 3 sandwaterofyoucantgetpastlawl. Guess that's the end of the mod?)

Are you serious...........? Alright I'm going to take off the flags on the air tank in this new version and fix it later. (This freaking air tank has got to be the most annoying part of making this mod) The mod's not supposed to end there. Just download this new version and take out your profile.dat from the old mod and put it in the new folder. (BTW for the person who said it would make sense for Curly to start with the air tank, I made it so you find it where Jenka found Curly in the opening scene, as in it came off Curly when she landed there.)

FIXED VERSION:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d9c400fe643258e7d2db6fb9a8902bda

Okay so again for anyone else who downloaded it, copy the profile.dat in the old version into this new one.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:48 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Linknight said:
Yeah I guess your right about that. Yet there should be a reason for her losing the polar star, since she obviously wouldn't have one forever. I mean why should she trade her Machine gun for Quotes polar star when she HAS a polar star.
Maybe it's stolen from her? Or it breaks? And then she takes it to the Hermit Gunsmith to fix it but never gets it back? I dunno...

Linknight said:
Hell they could have destroyed the polar star since it was her weapon when they captured her and they could give her a machine gun since the mimigas seems to have machine guns. The bullets they use look pretty much the same.
...I kind of doubt the Korons have machine guns, but I suppose it's possible.

Linknight said:
p43180-0-lv1lv2.png

Size difference.
Huh. Guess so. Yeah, that' doesn't make sense.

Linknight said:
I can agree with that as much as I can't. Because it's true, the machine gun takes time to reload and does NOT have infinite ammunition; however, it shoots at a rate much faster than the polar star. The polar star is just 2 shots, the machine gun is not only 3, but it's very rapid. With such a rapid increase of energy usage the core would be exhausted. Since the ammo seems to recharge on it's own, one could assume that said thing has an energy core it just needs time to charge after being used for such a prolonged period of time. Meaning it does have an energy core. Then again, if the polar stars energy core couldn't handle it while in the polar star, how could it in the machine gun would be the problem. Then again, this isn't my mod, so I'll let it up to the creator on what to do with that stuff.
My point was that I don't think the machine gun is an energy-based weapon. I'm guessing it's a projectile weapon (ie it shoots bullets). If it's an energy weapon, the transferring of energy core could work.

...You know, on second thoughts, it probably is an energy weapon...

Kaeso said:
BTW for the person who said it would make sense for Curly to start with the air tank, I made it so you find it where Jenka found Curly in the opening scene, as in it came off Curly when she landed there.
Yes, that makes sense.

Now I just need to find time to play this...

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:57 PM
"Huzzah!"
Maybe it's stolen from her? Or it breaks? And then she takes it to the Hermit Gunsmith to fix it but never gets it back? I dunno...
Possible

Huh. Guess so. Yeah, that' doesn't make sense.
What can you do? That's just how it is.

BTW for the person who said it would make sense for Curly to start with the air tank, I made it so you find it where Jenka found Curly in the opening scene, as in it came off Curly when she landed there.
Perfect. That was nicely placed.
Time to test this baby out.

Now is it found like the tow rope? (meaning you see a sparkly thing then you get it)
or, is it more like you find it in the cut scene right when you escape?

If it's the cut scene one I think I'm gonna have to restart lawl.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:12 PM
Linknight said:
Possible

What can you do? That's just how it is.

Perfect. That was nicely placed.
Time to test this baby out.

Now is it found like the tow rope? (meaning you see a sparkly thing then you get it)
or, is it more like you find it in the cut scene right when you escape?

If it's the cut scene one I think I'm gonna have to restart lawl.

Should be a sparkly item sitting next to the save point when you leave Ancient Ruins.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:37 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Ummm... nothing's changed in the fixed version. You still can't get past the water. I opened it in SW, made it equip the airtank in transition from ??? to Sand Zone, made it to the end of the water, and I couldn't go any farther.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:33 PM
"Huzzah!"
That new one works and it doesn't for me.
For now I see the sparkly item.
But i can't pick it up D=
I hit down right on top of it and everything.
Your mod hates meh! /emocry

Edit: WOOT! rankup

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:13 PM
"Huzzah!"
New problem.
I beat that robot that curly killed, FUCK YEAH BITCH TAKE THAT! YO FACE!!!!!

Hold on! That city I was in...was...the one...that Ballos destroyed..? ...F....FF....FUCK YEAH!!! AWESOME!
No, seriously, fucking AWESOME! That was a GREAT placement. I didn't even SEE that coming there. Great job. 4srs.

But i went into their base
their I saw a sparkly item.

OOOH WHATS THAT BUTTON DO?
I pressed it. got loads of health.
I right now have OVER NINETHOUSAND health.
Plus a spur.
If thats the weapon your intending on putting there I don't wanna sound asshatish but that makes no sence since the Spur is an upgraded Polar star. Why would you need both? That just makes the polar star obsolete.

Im guessing this is something you put in there for yourself in order to test the area?

What ever the cause, fix this.

Edit:
End of year 3
Nice job. Story plot line is nicely made. Game went very smooth. Not only that but a decent challenge. I didn't take 1 hit against all of those "assassins" or whatever....didn't live up to their name did they! HA! Curly wins, no matter what!

I ignored that shiny thing, since I don't feel like cheating.

I liked how that one mimiga was like "I know where they are!" -shoots- -miss- -curly shoots- -lolitdies- that was a cool scene. I think if Curly found a "Iron bond" on Quote, and it protected her there, that would have been cool as heck. That might be a bit cliche though. No matter what though, this mod is great.

I rate this mod 9001/5

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM
Yeah that Spur and 100 HP thing was to make testing easier. Glad you ignored it, I already released a version with it deleted for everyone else.

So what'd you think of the general's sprite and facepic?

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM
"Huzzah!"
Kaeso said:
Yeah that Spur and 100 HP thing was to make testing easier. Glad you ignored it, I already released a version with it deleted for everyone else.

So what'd you think of the general's sprite and facepic?
Actually really good, I noticed that he has the same ear thing as Quote and Curly? That looks cool.

Just a small question, is this game going to take place during the time of the actual cavestory after it hits that time period or will it stop by then?

Sidenote: I guess I won't have to care for that version, since I'm already out of it. So if I ever feel like being a god....9999hp+spur=LAWL!

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM
The mods gonna end at the same time as the original cave story except you will see it all from Curly's eyes.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:33 PM
"Huzzah!"
BEST MOD EVER!
BEST MOD EVER!

I swear to god this is the best mod I've ever....I gotta promote this...
This is going on the front page of my comic thread o.o;
I'm posting this there.
For this....this....
THIS IS THE BEST MOD EVER!

As long as 1 new person clicks that link to go here and sees your mod, my mission is complete.

1 thing I'd have to recommend is this.
If your gonna have Quote in your mod. He shouldn't talk.
He should respond though.

For example, he wouldn't be like.
"HI THERE!"

but if Curly said
"Hey your polar star looks kinda rusty, wanna trade it for my machine gun?"
Quote would say something like
"Nah, thats ok. This actually isn't mine anyway, I'm just borrowing it."

Since Quote never talked on his own, but he always said yes and no.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Hehe thanks for the publicity your comic thread is even more popular than my mod thread.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hey, as long as having that gets you 1 new fan. Then my mission is complete. Keep up the good work.

I love the new enemies you had in the tower by the way. That tower was great.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:59 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Alright time for a ton of comments!

I think the Ancient Cave was better when you had the black background, rather than the blue. For one thing, that's how it was done in Cave Story, and also the blue background makes the doors look weird. The doors now seem to be standing in the middle of nowhere with no doorway surrounding them. Also, when you open the doors, they appear transparent, and you see the background through them. It would make more sense if the "open door" sprite were black instead of transparent (if you used a black background, this wouldn't matter because black and transparent would be identical).

Another thing about the Ancient Cave that I didn't notice before is that there are a few "flat spots" where you forgot to put the "gravel" tiles on top of the ground. This is not a big deal, but it looks sort of unprofessional. Here's a couple screenies so you know what I'm talking about:
flatspot.png

flatspot2.png

There was one other flat spot I noticed, but I didn't get a screenshot. It was in the path to the place where you find Quote.

You should make the Life Capsule in the Tunnel/Egg Corridor place +4 instead of +3. For one thing it's difficult enough to get that there needs to be good incentive to get it. Also, the Fortress in the Grass Hills is a real pain in the ass at the moment, but if the Life Capsule were +4, then you could survive being hit by one of the eyeball things once.

There should be a savepoint at the beginning of the Sunken Ruins, right now the distance between savepoints is pretty insane. Especially since almost everything between Jenka's house and the Pyramid is a one-hit kill. The obsticals aren't that difficult, but it is really difficult to travel such a long distance when one dumb mistake and you're dead.

Awww, still no pyramid music?

I love the storyline btw, and it sounds like you're really going to flesh it out well. I also like the cutscenes like the one Linknight mentioned with the "shootout" in the tower.

It gets kind of boring fighting the same boss three times, maybe you could change the form each time, or at least add some sort of extra feature to the later fights like spikes maybe. Oh I know you could have the third fight be in really tight quarters, I bet that would be a challenge.

Linknight said:
If your gonna have Quote in your mod. He shouldn't talk.
I disagree. The fact that you don't ever hear Quote talk in Cave Story isn't because he never does talk, it's because Pixel wanted to leave what he said to the player's imagination. And he doesn't just respond, either, he actually does initiate conversations. Think of all those times in Cave Story, when you walked up to someone and pressed the down arrow, and started talking to them. It seems like Quote is the one starting the conversation in these situations.

I like the idea of using the gaudi AI for the killer robots. However, the death sprite looks kinda awkward, because the robots are still almost standing, I think you should improve on the death sprite.

The elevator is a creative idea. I'm trying to think of a better way for it to look like it's moving though, because the current animation (just using <QUA) kinda bugs me. My only idea is to add two additional tiles to the "Almond" tileset which are variants on the standard 1x1 block. One of them would look like it was "scrolled" 1/3 of a tile up, and the other like it was "scrolled" 1/3 of a tile down. You could then cycle the wall tiles repeatedly between these three tiles to make it look like you're moving relative to the walls.

The camera motion is still jerky in spots, and it's really bugging me. I think I'll investigate what's causing this on my own and tell you.

The farthest I can get is this random dark-gray box near the top of the command tower. I haven't found the Korons yet. Is this the end of the current demo? If not, what do I do? If so, great job so far!

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:17 AM
"Huzzah!"
You should make the Life Capsule in the Tunnel/Egg Corridor place +4 instead of +3. For one thing it's difficult enough to get that there needs to be good incentive to get it. Also, the Fortress in the Grass Hills is a real pain in the ass at the moment, but if the Life Capsule were +4, then you could survive being hit by one of the eyeball things once.
It just adds to the challenge in my opinion. Sure it's annoying, but hey if it's possible to make it through it shouldn't really be fixed. I like the difficulty of this mod.

There should be a savepoint at the beginning of the Sunken Ruins, right now the distance between savepoints is pretty insane. Especially since almost everything between Jenka's house and the Pyramid is a one-hit kill. The obsticals aren't that difficult, but it is really difficult to travel such a long distance when one dumb mistake and you're dead.
I agree, the savepoints are rather spaced out, but then again this just adds to the difficulty factor. I don't think it should be changed. I mean who doesn't love going through that one place in grasstown forward, only to realize you have to do it backwards too.

Awww, still no pyramid music?
Agreed, I'd like a little music in there.

It gets kind of boring fighting the same boss three times, maybe you could change the form each time, or at least add some sort of extra feature to the later fights like spikes maybe. Oh I know you could have the third fight be in really tight quarters, I bet that would be a challenge.
Now this, this I agree with full on. It's the same boss every time, with little to no change up. Make them a little different, or at least harder.

I disagree. The fact that you don't ever hear Quote talk in Cave Story isn't because he never does talk, it's because Pixel wanted to leave what he said to the player's imagination. And he doesn't just respond, either, he actually does initiate conversations. Think of all those times in Cave Story, when you walked up to someone and pressed the down arrow, and started talking to them. It seems like Quote is the one starting the conversation in these situations.
That, my good sir, is checkmate. You have bested me there for I have no retort. I kinda forgot about that bit, since I never really talked to npc's I never needed to talk to, but even then so Quote did talk. So I will agree completely and will retract my statement about Quote posthaste.

I like the idea of using the gaudi AI for the killer robots. However, the death sprite looks kinda awkward, because the robots are still almost standing, I think you should improve on the death sprite.
Maybe the flying ones could crash and explode, that would be cool.

The farthest I can get is this random dark-gray box near the top of the command tower. I haven't found the Korons yet. Is this the end of the current demo? If not, what do I do? If so, great job so far!
No you can proceed forward, did you try going higher up than floor 2 to go to floor 3?

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:39 AM
Well I haven't read your tutorial on putting custom music in yet but when I feel like reading I'll be sure to put that song you made for me in.

I know the Cpt battles are easy but think of them as story battles not meant to be hard. I can make them slightly more difficult with spikes and basils maybe. But I doubt it will be much harder.

Press down on the dark grey blocks, it's supposed to be a dark hole that leads to the ventilation but I can't use black because it would look transparent and you'd see the BG instead so I used a dark shade of grey.

Also you should be able to survive a hit from the things in the fortress did you get the life capsule in Curly's bedroom?