Curly Brace's Story *FIRST DEMO*

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:14 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Kaeso said:
I know the Cpt battles are easy but think of them as story battles not meant to be hard. I can make them slightly more difficult with spikes and basils maybe. But I doubt it will be much harder.
Well that would be fine. It's not so much the difficulty, or lack thereof, that bothers me, it's the lack of variety. As long as you change something from one cpt battle to the next, that would be great, even if it doesn't make it much more difficult.

Kaeso said:
Press down on the dark grey blocks, it's supposed to be a dark hole that leads to the ventilation but I can't use black because it would look transparent and you'd see the BG instead so I used a dark shade of grey.
Ok thanks, I'll try that. Btw, I think you should make that look more like a ventilation pipe, because right now it just looks like you messed up when designing the map. I might post a possible image you could use for it once I have more time. You should add a border and maybe some shading.

Kaeso said:
Also you should be able to survive a hit from the things in the fortress did you get the life capsule in Curly's bedroom?
Oh, there's a LC in her bedroom?? Hehe, oops, disregard my previous comment then.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:03 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
wedge of cheese said:
Well that would be fine. It's not so much the difficulty, or lack thereof, that bothers me, it's the lack of variety. As long as you change something from one cpt battle to the next, that would be great, even if it doesn't make it much more difficult.

Maybe I could make multiple cpts at once in the future, but it'd be like the Gaudskateer fight in Jenka's nightmare. (you have to kill the first one in the event before you can hurt the others.)

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:55 PM
"Huzzah!"
Kaeso said:
Maybe I could make multiple cpts at once in the future, but it'd be like the Gaudskateer fight in Jenka's nightmare. (you have to kill the first one in the event before you can hurt the others.)
Isn't that the assassin fight? I think giving the boss later on the ability to jump across the field, shooting down with the machine gun would be cool.

The only reason I disliked that fight is because "OH HAI! Wait your hittin me? We all look the same and you need to hit that one. GOOD LUCK /awesomeface"
I liked the assassin fight a lot since it was like NINJADODGINOHSHIT!

I could see the one in grasstown having just the average gunshot
The second one aims (means will shoot you in the air so you have to dodge up there too.)
and the 3rd one jumps and shoots down (fly thing) at times while having the ability to aim AND spikes

That would be a challange.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM
Linknight said:
Isn't that the assassin fight? I think giving the boss later on the ability to jump across the field, shooting down with the machine gun would be cool.

Nah you can kill whichever one you want first with the assassins.

And I can't edit the way bosses fight you'd have to do some hardcore hacking probably.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM
"Huzzah!"
Kaeso said:
Nah you can kill whichever one you want first with the assassins.

And I can't edit the way bosses fight you'd have to do some hardcore hacking probably.

Well the ones later could fight like Balrog I guess. You know jump up and MISSILES! or somethin like that.

One thing I think you should do is when Curly hands over the Grenade to the "Greecemonkey" the textbox should say
"Curly handed over the explosive"
or something, because being just a blank box is kinda....lazy?

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM
graters gonna grate
Yay, more stuff!

The sky background outside the tower doesn't look very realistic. At first I thought the tower was underground before I realized those lighter colored patches were supposed to be clouds. It would look more realistic if the dark orange color were lighter. Also, maybe you could make the current background (bkelectric.pbm) part of the tileset (you would probably have to convert PrtAlmond.pbm to a 256-bitmap in order to get all of the colors in) and then use bkFog or bkMoon as the stage background.

Good job with the assassin fight, it's difficult but not too difficult. I had to attempt it multiple times, though, and it was kind of annoying to have to keep re-reading all the text each time. Maybe you could set a skipflag which makes the text go into <SAT mode after the first attempt (sort of like what Pixel did with the Misery-Doctor-UndeadCore boss sequence).

I like the general's sprite although his facepic could use some improvement. It looks really 2D at the moment. Some shading/lighting would make it better.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM
"Huzzah!"
wedge of cheese said:
I like the general's sprite although his facepic could use some improvement. It looks really 2D at the moment. Some shading/lighting would make it better.

I didn't think the face pic was that bad, but I guess now that I look at it again it does look kinda 2D. Then again, any picture has room for improvement.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:17 PM
graters gonna grate
Oh yeah, forgot to mention one other thing. The Sanctuary place in the Tower looks a little out of place, especially since we've already seen an identical map in the Tunnel/Egg-Corridor. You should make it match the feel of the Tower more, like use the same tileset.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM
Those 2 sanctuaries are the same map. I made it so I could save space for more maps so I made a single save room to use in the bigger maps. When you enter it triggers a flag that will take you back to where you entered from and it deletes that flag when you leave.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:21 PM
"Huzzah!"
Kaeso said:
Those 2 sanctuaries are the same map. I made it so I could save space for more maps so I made a single save room to use in the bigger maps. When you enter it triggers a flag that will take you back to where you entered from and it deletes that flag when you leave.

That's pretty cool.
Less effort that way.
Plus it really doesn't match the tileset anywhere to begin with.
So placing it everywhere makes it good.
People can say "OH THATS LAZY! YOU SUCK! BLAH BLAH BLAH!" and stuff but I like it.
Leaves your effort to be more focused on other places, instead of a room that's strictly made for saving.
Then again, you could always make a room like in egg corridor or mimiga village, meaning really small room that you can only take like 3-5 steps in which has just enough room for a door, a healer, and a saver.
Still, I like the sanctuary idea. Since it is always your sanctuary.
I prefer to call it my happy place =3

OH by the way.
Your mod got me to thinkin.
Thinkin about Curly
and when I think.
I doodle.
p21394-1-curlybrace.png

$00p3r D00d13 that is!
(Super Doodle)

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:41 PM
Linknight said:
That's pretty cool.
Less effort that way.
Plus it really doesn't match the tileset anywhere to begin with.
So placing it everywhere makes it good.
People can say "OH THATS LAZY! YOU SUCK! BLAH BLAH BLAH!" and stuff but I like it.
Leaves your effort to be more focused on other places, instead of a room that's strictly made for saving.
Then again, you could always make a room like in egg corridor or mimiga village, meaning really small room that you can only take like 3-5 steps in which has just enough room for a door, a healer, and a saver.
Still, I like the sanctuary idea. Since it is always your sanctuary.
I prefer to call it my happy place =3

OH by the way.
Your mod got me to thinkin.
Thinkin about Curly
and when I think.
I doodle.
p21394-1-curlybrace.png

$00p3r D00d13 that is!
(Super Doodle)

Effort isn't an issue it's just SW can only have a certain amount of maps in it and I don't want to reach the limit.

Cool pic btw I like the hair. But doesn't she wear 3/4 pants?

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:25 AM
"Huzzah!"
Kaeso said:
Effort isn't an issue it's just SW can only have a certain amount of maps in it and I don't want to reach the limit.

Cool pic btw I like the hair. But doesn't she wear 3/4 pants?
SW? That sucks. is it possible to somehow combine 2 halves of a mod? or you could just go "To be continued" if you reach the limit or near the limit and get to a boss area or a good and important cutscene

Possible, but this was from memory at school freehanded.

So I had no reference for her at all.
I just knew: Hair, Gun, Tanktop.
The pants are just generic pants. So it's possible I got them wrong.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM
Justin-chan
SW is Sue's Workshop and it doesn't suck.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM
"Huzzah!"
jcys810 said:
SW is Sue's Workshop and it doesn't suck.
Didn't mean it like that. Just ment that it sucks that you can only have a limited amount of maps, then again if you had like 32,931,395,129.5 maps....that would suck for the programming codeness

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:26 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Mar 1, 2009 at 12:30 AM
graters gonna grate
Okay, I think I've figured out the cause of the "jerky camera motion" problem. You said you don't remember using <FOM, which is precisely the problem. Presumably, whenever you use <TRA, the game automatically restores focus to the player, but keeps the previously set "camera speed" parameter. In the script for the opening cutscene, for example...

Code:
<DNP0300<SKJ1700:0101<SK+1700<KEY<HMC<ANP0120:0011:0000<WAI0060<FON0120:0004<MNA<FAI0000<WAI0100
<CNP0140:0133:0002<WAI0040<FON0140:0020<WAI0070<MSG?!<WAI0060<NOD
<CLO<WAI0020<CNP0145:0146:0000<FLA<DNP0121<WAI0140<FAO0000<WAI0060<MSGYou will one day play a part in
bringing peace to my brother..<NOD
I can sense it.<NOD<CLO<WAI0100<FL+3094<TRA0029:0101:0008:0009<END

When you say, "<FON0120:0004", you set the camera to focus on entity 120, and set the camera speed parameter to 4. Then, at the end you <TRA to another map, but wait a minute, the camera is still focused on entity 120, so won't that make the game glitch once you're in the new map? No, because the game automatically restores camera focus to the player when you use <TRA, so no problem, right? Wrong. The camera speed parameter is still set to 4, which is much lower than the default value of 16, hence the jerky camera motion. To fix this, change the bottom last three commands from...

"<FL+3094<TRA0029:0101:0008:0009<END"

...to...

"<FL+3094<FOM0016<TRA0029:0101:0008:0009"

(the <END command is unnecessary because the script jumps to the new map when you use <TRA and instantly stops running the current script to start running the new one)

The bottom line is: make sure you use <FOM0016 at the end of every cutscene in which camera focus is taken away from the player.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:35 AM
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
kaeso said:

It's not SW, it's cave story. also, for my most posted ittle bit of code:
at 414b20, there is this code:
Code:
00414B20  push ebp
00414B21  mov ebp,esp
00414B23  push 0080
00414B28  push 00
00414B2A  push 49E5B8
00414B2F  call 00480D30
00414B34  add esp,0C
00414B37  pop ebp
00414B38  ret

the push 80 is the amount of maps that can currently be used, it is basically a memory buffer, change the 80 to sumthing else to change the max maps. if you're more familiar with a hex editor, fire up xvi32, go to 0x14b24 and change 80 to the amount of maps (in hex) you want to be able to have.

lace

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:54 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I noticed then when you get hit, there's a higher-pitched noise... Curly's voice? ;)

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:03 AM
@Wedge I changed the script like you said and I think it might be slightly different..

@Lace Is there a guide that tells you what everything does? (00414B23 being the number of maps allowed for example.)

@Fire Yeah I edited the sound using sshigi's sound editing program. And welcome to the forum,