Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

May 10, 2010 at 4:30 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Ah, you're right. No idea if Australia will be next on the list. (didn't know the country is part of Europe...!)
Wat?
anyways... Australia will censor it.
Go for it.

May 10, 2010 at 4:41 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
dqle said:
No idea if Australia will be next on the list. (didn't know the country is part of Europe...!)

It's not. It's even it's own continent (the smallest of the 7).

It is an english speaking country though, so I guess they just take the same video games and stuff that most of europe gets.

And I don't think there's really ANYTHING to censor in Cave Story, but if there is censoring it will be rather silly censoring.

May 10, 2010 at 4:43 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
"Welcome to heck!"

...Okay, very silly

May 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
TuKéZu said:
"Welcome to heck!"

...Okay, very silly

More like "Welcome to happy happy funtime land!".

I don't think heck works as a replacement for hell when it's being used as a noun. Maybe the sign will say "Censored by the Australian Government".

May 10, 2010 at 5:09 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Heh, I'm surprised that you didn't go ballistic on me for not knowing any better...!

Besides, I knew Australia is a continent. Just check out what the feed said:
#nicalis said:
Australia WILL have Cave Story on WiiWare along with the rest of Europe. The new music (.org and remixed) sound AWESOME now!
I also didn't know the ORG was "new".

As for censorship, don't know what the country down under would do to the game, if anything. (perhaps panties would be replaced?)

May 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:

It is an english speaking country though, so I guess they just take the same video games and stuff that most of europe gets.

And I don't think there's really ANYTHING to censor in Cave Story, but if there is censoring it will be rather silly censoring.

If there's one thing I know about Australia, it's that video game censoring is serious business. The guy in charge of all that has set up some extremely harsh rules, in some cases causing a complete reworking of a game to be necessary before it can be sold there. Sometimes, games are just never released there due to the fact that it's work they have to do, and I really don't think Nicalis plans on doing any work.

tl;dr: Australia will find something they can censor.

May 11, 2010 at 1:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
And you will all be proven wrong.

You hear enough retarded cases of censorship and naturally assume that it happens with everything.They can only ban a game if it is an R rated game, anything MA15+ and under will be classified and approve for release. There's no nudity in CS and I doubt the lipstick reference would be understood by anyone outside of Japan unless someone told them. Panties are hardly enough of a reason to ban a game.

It will probably get a PG release, no censorship.

May 11, 2010 at 1:25 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
andwhyisit said:
And you will all be proven wrong.

You hear enough retarded cases of censorship and naturally assume that it happens with everything.They can only ban a game if it is an R rated game, anything MA15+ and under will be classified and approve for release. There's no nudity in CS and I doubt the lipstick reference would be understood by anyone outside of Japan unless someone told them.

It's not that they ban games, it's that they go waaay out of there way to have something tweaked just to get through. To at least some extent, there is a change made to almost every game that gets through into your country, whether is be very small or absurdly large. As you should already know, it's up to the publishers (not actually the developers) to have the game changed, and they don't always do it. Nicalis seems to be doing the job themselves, so it's up to them to make the choice to change something even very small that they will probably be called out on.

May 11, 2010 at 1:48 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
This must be driving andwhy nuts

*Ahem*
Australia isn't the only place that can censors games over silly stuff.
Just look at the US, we've censored anything from ol' Super Mario RPG {lol@Bowser} to Kingdom Hearts II {Apparently, Green Blood is worse than Black Blood}, and over the silliest things. And the censored replacements are often just as silly.
{I half wonder if that's why we don't get English versions of the KH Final Mixes...}
"Hell" to "Heck" is hardly silly compared to some of the things we've censored.

May 11, 2010 at 5:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
And don't forget Nintendo. In their early days they censored the hell heck out of everything.

Fire1052 said:
It's not that they ban games, it's that they go waaay out of there way to have something tweaked just to get through.
Doesn't the developer or publisher do that?

May 11, 2010 at 7:22 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
There's no nudity in CS and I doubt the lipstick reference would be understood by anyone outside of Japan unless someone told them.
Doesn't Chaco clearly be on the bed when you wake up? While this doesn't give you the full image of what happens (since technically, innocent stuff might have happened), it do offer a certain clue.

May 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I didn't know that there WAS such a thing as censorship in the US. Take a look at all the crap that's on nighttime TV. Or better yet, don't. Just hearing about it will give you nightmares. I never watch TV mainly because there's nothing good and sports are boring to me.
They might give a game a different rating, but they would never completely censor anything unless they were trying to change the age group of people they were aiming for. If they wanted younger kids to play the game, they might take some stuff out so it could get a lower rating. Although, most kids I know play M rated games anyways. I once met a 12-year-old who played Grand Theft Auto on his PS2.
In the US, CS got E10+ for it's rating. It's kind of silly. I don't see how a guy jumping on walking mushrooms and shooting fireballs at turtels gets an E rating and CS doesn't.

May 12, 2010 at 7:36 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I didn't know that there WAS such a thing as censorship in the US.

Thing is, there is and a lot, thanks to the freakin' FCC.

Take a look at all the crap that's on nighttime TV

Yeah, I REALLY understand what you're saying. Take for example, Jay Leno. I really hate the guy! Honestly, why, why excluding such a great name as Connan O' Brien for that pile of turd? He's not funny, he's so rich that, this is just a guess, he sh**s coins. He is an instrument of NBC and capitalism. I perfer watching anime, thank you.

I will, however, start to like Jay Leno if he gives me some of his cars.

Jay Leno: It's a deal!

Well, I'm glad in my country we still have Jon Stewart. He's funny.

I once met a 12-year-old who played Grand Theft Auto on his PS2.

Yeah, today's youth is very fond of games (maybe too much). But I know an 8 year old that plays GTA.

In the US, CS got E10+ for it's rating
~

Yup! It's true! No CS for little kids, because they might suffer from nightmares, go after their family doctor and destroy the crown. Well they won't do that if they play GTA, instead, they would kill people on the streets, fight gangs and carjack someone. But that's ok, of course! These are completely tolerable acts in nowaday's society

May 12, 2010 at 8:37 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
This discussion is retarted.
Operation Titstorm III will come to you soon.

May 14, 2010 at 12:01 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Through a quick googling, it seems to be the German equivalent. Though... Why isn't PEGI reviewing it? That's what we have around here... D:

May 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
TuKéZu said:
Why isn't PEGI reviewing it? That's what we have around here... D:
Aren't all wii releases uniform in Europe? Or has Germany in particular received something to their digital wii releases that the rest of hasn't had?

May 14, 2010 at 1:27 PM
As far as I know, all our games (digital releases included) have the PEGI rating, and sometimes I see boxes that have both USK and PEGI. I dunno, maybe PEGI's rating it later.

May 17, 2010 at 7:48 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Do germans even know how to read english? Um, I mean, I think they're planning to translate Cave Story into german, that's the only reason I can come up with why USK would rate it. Generally, only games with sereval translations seem to need to be rated by more instances than PEGI (such as Mickey's Speedway USA for the N64, which had the options of english, italian, french, german and spanish screentext. Fun thing is that the europe port had a british english translation while the US port had american english).

May 17, 2010 at 2:56 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I don't think heck works as a replacement for hell when it's being used as a noun.
There is precedent, though. Jill of the Jungle, part 2.