Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

May 17, 2010 at 3:21 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Doesn't the obviously hell themed Stage 2 of Earthworm Jim use that too? It's called "What the heck??".

May 18, 2010 at 6:40 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Tttht-cht-tht!
Can't say that here. Discussion of the distribution and utilization of Wiiware content is STRICTLY forbidden.
You can have the regular facepics though; in your CS Data folder.

May 18, 2010 at 10:26 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Oct 15, 2010 at 3:47 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I am ashamed that the Cave Story forum took so long to find this out.

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:55 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Noxid said:
I am ashamed that the Cave Story forum took so long to find this out.

in other words...

sixtyseconds said:
SON, I AM DISAPPOINT.

ontopic: makes me wish i had a wii even more. and some money. and, while we're at it, i wish i had a PS3.
scot pilgrim ftw!

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hope someone puts up audio/video of the updated music soon, who knows when we'll get it here in Europe

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:29 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
So yeah, they fixed all those things mentioned in that post. I'm sad to say that Balrog still says "Oh Yeah" like some deranged kool-aid man. Typos and poor wording seems mostly fixed, although I actually only played from about halfway through (continued on a previous save).

Interestingly, they also updated a number of the facepics as well. As near as I could tell, the ones to get a revision were Curly, Balrog, Booster (who has a hideous underbite now >_>), Misery, Jenka, The Doctor, Itoh, maybe Ballos too. In fact, maybe they all got some kind of touch-up, but some were more noticable than others. I didn't really have a side-by-side comparison to go by.

Most of the regular sprites seemed same-ish, but one in particular I noticed is that the Night Spirits now have a decidedly creepier look, with circles for eyes (not solid circles), and :3 mouth. The Credits image with them has been updated to reflect this, and now there's two of them instead of one. Also they have whiskers.

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:10 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
Interestingly, they also updated a number of the facepics as well. As near as I could tell, the ones to get a revision were Curly, Balrog, Booster (who has a hideous underbite now >_>), Misery, Jenka, The Doctor, Itoh, maybe Ballos too.

Looks more like an overbite to me.

Anyways I played through it with the new patch. Most of it is the same (the bugs concerning the map system and the item screen have been fixed and the screen where you choose which mode you want to play seems more logical). The script is still the weakest part of the port IMO, not due to that it is different but just some of the translations are still really odd: "I am on the Mimiga side!". Maybe I just think Mimiga should be pluralized like most other nouns (currently it seems that Mimiga is similar to deer, which both can be singular or plural). I'd spend a bit more time reviewing the translation next time if I were Nicalis.

The new music is better, one of the changes being to the main cave story theme (the plantation theme). Plus all of the other songs now have percussion as well. So overall that was done good. The new changes to the facepics were also done pretty well (although I do admit the new booster just seems creepy), so they did a good job with that. The soundeffects are at a reasonable volume now too, and the old music loops properly. The only complaint I have about the old music is that it definitely uses a different percussion set than the original. This is kind of nitpicking, but it is supposed to be the "original" music. The game also seems to lag a bit whenever it has to load a new song with the new music, which I don't remember happening before.

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:43 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
To say the least with the latest update, at least the music's a lot easier to listen now! In regards to the classic music, I think the switch of some instruments was a good idea, since I could never hear them on the Wii without cranking up the volume. (still don't understand why the classic music has to be exponentially louder than the new ones, though)

I'm still disappointed at some of the sound effects. (the Polar Star still sounds backwards to me!)

Haven't through played the game with the new updates yet, and sure haven't payed any heed to the new graphic changes.

Run on sentences aside, which new music do you guys think has improved the most? I'm thoroughly impressed with Sand Zone, myself.

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:39 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Noxid said:
I'm sad to say that Balrog still says "Oh Yeah" like some deranged kool-aid man.

Oh God lol.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:59 AM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
i was gonna make a thread on that patch, only to find the forum had died

i tried to look for an announcement or sticky, but couldn't find one anywhere, and I didn't wanna look the fool by asking in a thread

luckily yakkers came to the rescue

looks like they changed a lot more than just what was on the patch notes. I need to play it again~

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:30 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Oh my gosh, I can actually listen to the music now without doing deaf! Some of it is still a bit quirky. Like the Gestation sounds kinda cool with the timing different, but it doesn't fit in with the rest of the tracks in the tune.

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
We knew that a long time ago when we ripped the sprites I meeeaan...
There's one for Christmas too.

Oct 31, 2010 at 5:57 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Random twittery:
diph.php
Takumi Naramura and Pixel.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:00 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I wonder what he's drinking...