Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

May 1, 2010 at 3:41 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I've seen Dragon Boot's site. He was the one who introduced me to the tvtropes. TOTALLY ruined my life. (in a good way, as in, made me into a mutant, evil, invincible sorcerer kind of way)
I thought I'd try making a MOD, but I always get errors saying that the maps can't be saved if I ever try to change the tilesets. I haven't found any solutions. I've changed the image files to bitmaps and removed the (c)Pixel requirement, but it still doesn't work.
(I use Cave Editor) Do you know what might be up?
I'd also like to learn things besides just modding, too. I want to learn some kind of programming.

May 1, 2010 at 3:44 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
did you make sure that read-only is unchecked on the whole folder?
that normally gets people.

May 1, 2010 at 5:51 AM
I'll double check... The weird thing is that I only get the problem about half of the time.
Hm... nope, I didn't. I fixed it now, though. It's still really strange that I got it to work a couple of times before, though. I honestly have no idea what could cause the inconsistency. It couldn't have been that I'd unchecked the read-only box, because that had never occurred to me before... I'll have to see if it works better now.

May 1, 2010 at 9:51 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I finally have everything set up for the EU release. Here's hoping that the EU release date and the Australian release date are the same.

brianbdm said:
I thought I'd try making a MOD, but I always get errors saying that the maps can't be saved if I ever try to change the tilesets. I haven't found any solutions. I've changed the image files to bitmaps and removed the (c)Pixel requirement, but it still doesn't work.
(I use Cave Editor) Do you know what might be up?
I'd also like to learn things besides just modding, too. I want to learn some kind of programming.
Wrong section. We have an entire subforum to talk about modding in so I'd recommend asking there.

May 1, 2010 at 11:18 PM
Yeah, I kinda got off track. At least it wasn't as off-subject as the routers that supposedly give people cancer... :(

May 1, 2010 at 11:22 PM
Well, apparently it's okay to go off-topic as long as your off-topic doesn't belong in another forum.
Why don't we give the thread a rest until something relevant happens?

May 2, 2010 at 7:53 PM
Does anybody know what the music sound format is for the Wii? It would be weird for them to still have used ORG files if they couldn't get the music to loop correctly.

May 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
it uses .midi for the new music and .org for the original, I think.

May 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM
Isn't .midi kind of like a really fancy .org file?

May 3, 2010 at 12:09 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, midis contain all the information necessary to play themselves, whereas orgs are just a packet of bytes.
Course I'm prolly mistaken.

May 3, 2010 at 12:16 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
Unless I'm mistaken, midis contain all the information necessary to play themselves, whereas orgs are just a packet of bytes.
Course I'm prolly mistaken.

Yeah I think you are too, since IIRC the midi will played based on what midi instruments the player is using, and the midi file doesn't contain these instruments either. Most audio players support midi files though, which is something that can't be said about organya.

And isn't everything a packet of bytes?

May 3, 2010 at 12:26 AM
I'm not.
Spend much time on your computer gir?

May 3, 2010 at 12:47 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
I'm not.
Spend much time on your computer gir?

You know what I mean.

Plus, what proof do I have that you're not? You're existence as far as I'm concerned is just purely in bytes. Maybe you're a really well programmed spam bot o:

Also what does this have to do with organya files? Heck, isn't this thread about Cave Stowii?

I sure hope they make that patch.

[EDIT]: Doesn't CS wii use .ogg files for the old music?

May 3, 2010 at 2:26 AM
Yup. All old musics are of .ogg format. Which could explain why Nicalis couldn't loop it like it should have.

May 3, 2010 at 3:14 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
brianbdm said:
Isn't .midi kind of like a really fancy .org file?
MIDI uses samples from your sound card, ORG uses samples from the org player. Plus the samples, file structure, and the way the music is written would be different. The similarity is that they both contain notes that play the samples to create the sound rather than store the sound data itself.

May 3, 2010 at 4:59 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
dqle said:
Yup. All old musics are of .ogg format. Which could explain why Nicalis couldn't loop it like it should have.

They still could've, it would not have been too hard. All you need to know is the start and stop points in the file (which would probably be stored for each seperate song) and looping should be easy.

The fact that it didn't loop was unprofessional on Nicalis' part.

May 3, 2010 at 5:19 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
They still could've, it would not have been too hard. All you need to know is the start and stop points in the file (which would probably be stored for each seperate song) and looping should be easy.
Really? I've always heard that music looping from a point other than the 0:00 mark (unless it's "data" like MIDI) is a big pain in the butt to do when it comes to implementing it within a game. Of course, I've never tried it myself, so I don't know how hard it really is...!

And in Nicalis' defense, it did loop. Just not in the right places. (aka, from the beginning)

May 3, 2010 at 7:28 AM
So then, a .midi file is like a .org file, except that the instruments are stored in standard/universally used data on sound cards instead of in a specific program's .exe file? I was just wondering because it occurred to me that it might be nice to swap out some of the worse music with something nicer. I'd rather be able to do that on the original one, but I don't think that would be as easy, right?
Or am I getting too off topic again? ^^

May 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Music!

Yup, your assumption of MIDIs is correct. There's a third format, by the way, known as Tracked Formats (XM, MOD): they store the notes, but also includes the sound samples ("instruments") that's used... Good thing with these is that they sound the same on every machine you play them on (well, depending on the quality of vawemapper and loudspeakers)...

I wonder if Nicalis was unaware of this, I mean, using stuff like Square-Vawe that has sample loop points (meaning that the sound is just a few millisec long but loops) makes you end up with a file smaller than most MIDIs. (And MIDI files are relatively small, compared to stuff like MP3 and VAW).

Really? I've always heard that music looping from a point other than the 0:00 mark (unless it's "data" like MIDI) is a big pain in the butt to do when it comes to implementing it within a game. Of course, I've never tried it myself, so I don't know how hard it really is...!
Looping is really easy with trakked formats, they are made of a series of "patterns" (note sheets) that play in a certain order. You can specify what one the song should return to after finishing playing the last one in the composing program. (There's of course no such thing as dynamic looping, but some DLLs allow you to change the position the song plays from, which might be handy for that).
Anyway, trakked music seems perfectly adapted to make chiptunes for games, so that's why I use it for my serious projects (and F-Zero MIDIs for my side projects ;)).

But now I'm the one that goes offtopic.
===================

Seen that Nicalis' page is down? When googling I saw some word about that DecreasedCrab hacked the forums and that's the reason, but there wasn't enough information to make me beleive it 100% true, it was more like a guess to the reason.

May 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I have no idea if it was ever confirmed that DC did it, but the information you have refers to the *old* forums they had, where somebody abused a flaw in the system that allowed you to edit any post.

Also, you got the V and W mixed up in wav(e), just for future reference.