Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:22 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Cave Story Officially Announced for WiiWare

I'd say the new "On to bushlands" theme is pretty swell. Doesn't quite capture the orignal (or rather, isn't a straight remake) but it's good in it's own respects (not as fast or spunky). The new music itself might just sound slightly different completely, and be a bit different style-wise. I like what they did with the part near the end, my only complaint there being that they shortened it too much.

Certainly a lot better sounding than some of the older stuff we saw in the previous videos.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:27 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"

Although I still think no musical composition could ever live up to the original (except maybe this), it's not bad. I just don't like how the instruments change to more subtle ones at certain parts, it kinda threw me off guard.

Definitely an improvement over their old version, however.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
dqle said:
Also, it seems like Nicalis is giving away the clocks to other blogs. I noticed GoNintendo has the same clock, but with different artwork...
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.widgetserver.com/syndication/subscriber/InsertWidget.js"></script><script>if (WIDGETBOX) WIDGETBOX.renderWidget('ca11d2cc-02a7-4fc1-a0ea-44a49330dc4b');</script><noscript></noscript>
The script for the clock.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:26 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

dqle said:
Well, how's this for WiiWare news?

http://www.nicalis.com/blog/2010/02/24/cave-story-coming-to-wiiware-march-22nd/

We've got a date! Mark them calenders for March 22.

So... 3 weeks and 5 days. What until then?
I'm almost wishing I had a Wii now...

DragonBoots said:
I'm not sure about the EXACT rules, but with freeware I'm pretty sure that a.) it can be distributed fully intact, or b.) be distributed modified, providing the user knows it is modified and that credit for the original is given somewhere.

Since, as far as I know, copyright protection can't be sought retroactively, and that the PC and Wiiware are two totally different game, that modding the PC version will remain legal.

HOWEVER, the Wii version is a different case in that it's a liscenced product (you pay for a liscence to use it); thus meaning any copying would be considered piracy, as would distrubuting a modified copy.
Heehee, I'm pretty sure most of this post is wrong.

First of all, Cave Story (the PC version) is probably technically copyrighted. It may or may not be legal to distribute mods of Cave Story, but in general this would not be legal for freeware. Freeware just means it can be freely distributed unmodified. It does not mean you are allowed to alter it. So distributing mods isn't generally legal.

For the Wii version, distributing it, either modified or not, would be illegal. That doesn't mean you can't mod the Wii version if you feel like it; it's legal to distribute patches.

To be fair, though, I'm not sure of the exact rules either. I do know, however, that most people seem to believe they are more forgiving than they really are.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
{For some reason, though, it counts seconds, minutes, hours, days and years, but not months...}
There is no fixed period of time that is defined as a month, so counting down months is significantly more complicated. It's possible, of course.

As for the Bushlands theme... it sounds like that's not the full song? Though it may be simply that it's designed to be looped.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:20 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

If Cavestory was open source under a non-restrictive license, then it would be free to modify and nobody could do anything about it.

However, cavestory is not open source, though modders have generally gotten around that.

Fortunately, Pixel has not taken legal action against mods, nor does it seem that he plans to do so. He's probably doesn't encourage them in general, but he's a nice enough guy that he would let people make and play mods of his own game.

If the original PC game is free and widely distributed, then it will still be free after the Wii version. They can't just come cracking down on mods of a free PC game that will still be free on the internet even though an "enhanced Wii version" is available.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:25 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It's not like our mods are so special they're gonna threaten anybody's profits anyway :|

And also, the Nicalis forum has a section for mods. Case closed, in my opinion.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:49 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

Didn't Pixel already give the thumbs up to mods?

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:39 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."

Page 69
Also Cave Story and then Episodes from Liberty City? All my favorite games are coming out of at the same time!

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM
"Huzzah!"

http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/news/2010/03/first_impressions_cave_story

"...but there's a few extras to tempt players of the original game (aside from graphical and aural improvements and new character designs from Pixel). Boss Rush allows players to battle the bosses from the game in sequence via a nice museum-like menu interface. Sanctuary Time Attack levels-up players and then pits them against a challenging level which they attempt to complete within a fixed time limit – a good test for the master spelunker, surely? The only other mode we were able to see was the ability to play through the story with one of the other characters encountered in the game, but it's always possible there's an extra surprise hidden there somewhere..."

I didn't know about the character...
Well you got there their 1º impressions.

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:52 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

Obviously you play as balrog.
…That's not it, is it? Probably curly, maybe king. Neither of those would make sense without some storyline altering.

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:05 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

Or a small message stating "You only look different, the game will still treat you as *****"

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:49 AM
Not anymore

Vercci said:
Or a small message stating "You only look different, the game will still treat you as *****"

They should at least bother to put in alternate dialogue.

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:20 AM

You can play as Kanpachi, with a fishing pole that is also a rapier and a whip. You get a bucket launcher and a rapid-fish-firing gun as well. Instead of just sleeping with Chaco, she becomes your ho, which lets you get money, which you can use to buy upgrades for Curly to make her stop sucking at her job (which is killing things). You don't dick around with Momorin's rocket parts, either, you just use the Booster to fly up the Press corridor and the Presses are too god damn afraid to crush you. After you defeat the Doctor, you take the Red Crystal and just beat the shit out of it, until it goes crying home to Ballos, who you then throw off the island and into a volcano. All the inhabitants of Mimiga Island recognize Kanpachi as their new leader, and he brings the newly united kingdom into an era of great badassery.
Any other scenario will disappoint me greatly, Nicalis.

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:39 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Captain Fabulous said:
You can play as Kanpachi, with a fishing pole that is also a rapier and a whip. You get a bucket launcher and a rapid-fish-firing gun as well. Instead of just sleeping with Chaco, she becomes your ho, which lets you get money, which you can use to buy upgrades for Curly to make her stop sucking at her job (which is killing things). You don't dick around with Momorin's rocket parts, either, you just use the Booster to fly up the Press corridor and the Presses are too god damn afraid to crush you. After you defeat the Doctor, you take the Red Crystal and just beat the shit out of it, until it goes crying home to Ballos, who you then throw off the island and into a volcano. All the inhabitants of Mimiga Island recognize Kanpachi as their new leader, and he brings the newly united kingdom into an era of great badassery.
Any other scenario will disappoint me greatly, Nicalis.
Prepare to be disappointed.

At least one other character to play as, huh? Curly is probably the most likely candidate, but Nicalis would earn my respect if it's anybody else.

And I wonder what that possible surprise is? Awesome if it's a full blown level editor, but that's just my thinking...

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:49 AM
Not anymore

Editing cavestory with a wiimote would look hilarious.

As for the alternate character, I don't see the originality going much beyond Curly. All the other characters would require reworking of the plot in a larger way.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

I want to play as the great Kanpachi, the true hero of Cave Story. Or imagine playing as Balrog!...

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:53 PM
/end

100killer9 said:
Obviously you play as balrog.

trickybilly said:
Or imagine playing as Balrog!...

Cave Story from Balrog's point of view. Stuff like getting hit my Misery, tracking Quote, cloning himself.

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM

MetaSeraphim said:
Cave Story from Balrog's point of view. Stuff like getting hit my Misery, tracking Quote, cloning himself.
50% of the game is sucking up to the Doctor. Whee!

(Also, you got Nu now. How does it feel?)

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:51 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"

Captain Fabulous said:
You get a bukkit launcher
Fixed.

Also I wanna make a mod out of that.

Mar 6, 2010 at 11:26 PM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."

Yakkers said:
Fixed.

Also I wanna make a mod out of that.
Well if you do want to make that mod, just look down.