Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:51 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Re: Cave Story Wii Developers Voice Video

innocent.bystander said:
I believe this is the first video footage of Pixel. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8XINfralSE
New user here. Discovered CS about a week ago and now I can't stop reading and thinking about it.

About the video: 4:00-4:18 he talks about DLC and this "secret" mode that times sacred grounds, which is obviously the nikumaru counter. Does this mean they're taking the counter out in the wiiware release? I really don't like this guy.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:53 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah, actually, I was thinking about that. Why should we have to pay for a Nikumaru counter?

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:57 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Don't let me down

Noxid said:
Yeah, actually, I was thinking about that. Why should we have to pay for a Nikumaru counter?
I hope to god we don't.
That's a cheap ripoff, right there >.>
I'm going to put my faith in them, though, and give them the benefit of the doubt...

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:59 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Re: Cave Story Officially Announced for WiiWare

I don't trust them. At all. The new music sounds like a remix of a song a kid likes making it in his head... like we all did with our favorite pokemon songs once upon a time...

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:01 AM
/end

It actually looked a little different than Hell, but maybe that is just me.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:03 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

MetaSeraphim said:
It actually looked a little different than Hell, but maybe that is just me.
He mentioned it being the hardest area in the game and I saw the drop in the beginning.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:07 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

I doubt that the songs in the video are the actual songs from the game. They're TOO similar to the old music. I think they were made for the video.
I still don't like that we're paying (extra) for:
1. A feature already in the free PC version
2. A feature any bloke could probably mod in
Seriously, could any less effort have gone into this DLC? Unless there's more on the way...

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:11 AM
/end

dhuron said:
He mentioned it being the hardest area in the game and I saw the drop in the beginning.

Yeah, but the part right after that looks different, to me at least.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:18 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

They hopefully won't separate the Nikumaru counter from Sacred Grounds.

They absolutely cannot separate Sacred Grounds from the game itself, because it's part of the original storyline. Unless they somehow managed to screw that up.

Really, the only good viable news I saw in the video was that Pixel was pretty happy about the Wiiware port.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:24 AM
Been here way too long...

You'll have to pay to get the best ending. They just might be that evil. I hope Nicalis releases some DLC that isn't crap.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:31 AM
"Huzzah!"

Noxid said:

While the video was only released now, because of the release date in America. The video were produced way back, when the extras modes were to be DLC, you can see that in the blog posts.

http://www.nicalis.com/blog/2009/04/21/coming-soon-the-pixel-interview-on-the-nintendo-channel/

However, regarding the new info by Nicalis and preview copies that were sent to the press, these new modes were included in the main game in the end.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:01 AM
"Huzzah!"

p46707-0-cavestory20100315050711269640w.jpg

:p

Do you know what the heck is this?

EDIT: err I mean, is this the new mode they were talking about? with new color scheme Qoute?

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"

The map, I'd assume, is part of the boss-rush mode. The costume is probably downloadable content.

...So the DLC is still crap.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:01 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Fire1052 said:
The map, I'd assume, is part of the boss-rush mode. The costume is probably downloadable content.
Ack, you already forgot what the colors represent?

http://www.nicalis.com/blog/2009/12/24/happy-christmas-eve/

If you're too lazy to read it through:
Yellow Scheme = Easy Mode
Red Scheme = Normal Mode
Blue Scheme = Hard Mode

As for the pic Fahrenheight has posted, I think that'd be more of a special Sacred Grounds run than the Boss Rush due to the tileset used. Perhaps a speed run, a different map altogether, or going the Mega Man 9/10 route with endless maps?

100killer9 said:
I doubt that the songs in the video are the actual songs from the game. They're TOO similar to the old music. I think they were made for the video.
I still don't like that we're paying (extra) for:
1. A feature already in the free PC version
2. A feature any bloke could probably mod in
Sad to say, but it's likely the music is probably final. Their decision to stick to "8-bit tunes" may have been the nail in the coffin, one that I don't exactly agree with... (the music's not THAT bad, but not as remix-y as I liked it to be)

Paying extra? We never had to pay for the game, period. And exactly what features are we talking about here? The new WiiWare runs at 60 FPS, seamlessly integrates the new modes as well as additional save slots (and more DLC), swapping of new and old content on the fly, and official game pad support, all of which probably cannot be done with the original PC engine without modifications, especially not without some sort of third party program.

If "any bloke" can do this in their spare time, more power to them.

Where the hell's all this hate coming from? Speculation of what's in and what's not? Good grief people, can't we just wait for another week and THEN spout out about the WiiWare version?

DoubleThink said:
Everything sounds worse out of 8-bit, look at Heart Gold/Soul Silver :/
Well, you could always switch back to the classic music. I mean, even Nintendo thought up of that.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:20 PM
/end

dqle said:
Where the hell's all this hate coming from? Speculation of what's in and what's not? Good grief people, can't we just wait for another week and THEN spout out about the WiiWare version?

It's a case of they changed it now it sucks.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:01 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

dqle said:
As for the pic Fahrenheight has posted, I think that'd be more of a special Sacred Grounds run than the Boss Rush due to the tileset used. Perhaps a speed run, a different map altogether, or going the Mega Man 9/10 route with endless maps?
I'll bet you anything that this is the Boss Rush mode. See those chests at the bottom? With the weapon icons beneath them? If it is like the Boss Rush mod that Iforgetthename made, this is the starting area of the Rush where you pick your weapons.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:33 PM

MetaSeraphim said:
Duly noted, I guess. Yeah, I feel as if we're judging by it's cover, though I know we know quite a bit about the game by now...

T-Jack said:
I'll bet you anything that this is the Boss Rush mode. See those chests at the bottom? With the weapon icons beneath them? If it is like the Boss Rush mod that Iforgetthename made, this is the starting area of the Rush where you pick your weapons.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed a boss rush thingy. Just giving my two cents, since boss rush is just too dang obvious there... (though, imagine a Sacred Grounds run with only the bubbler)

And I bet Klondike bars. If you win, you can pick it up at a local grocer. When they ask for money, it's my importing fees.

Oh, and more news.
Man, obvious choice is obvious, but still!

And also, added dialog. (Mr. Traveler never does talk to Toroko, nor does he ever carry a conversation with anyone) Wonder how this'll turn out?

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:38 PM
Been here way too long...

seriousface made boss rush.
shame

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:59 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

I wasn't specific.
I'm fine with paying for the game, but not with paying for a boss rush mode, a feature that comes with most Kirby games, and any bloke could mod in. I think it's been done, actually.
You can buy it if you want though.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:39 AM

100killer9 said:
I wasn't specific.
I'm fine with paying for the game, but not with paying for a boss rush mode, a feature that comes with most Kirby games, and any bloke could mod in. I think it's been done, actually.
You can buy it if you want though.
You're right. You weren't specific in any part, though it was somewhat lacking in detail... ("A feature already in the PC version")

Anywho, yeah, somebody already made a boss rush mode as a separate game altogether, as in not part of the original game itself. Jumping through a few hoops, I'm sure people can add in the mode to the original game if they worked hard enough.

...the latter being the hard part, though. Takes a little knowhow to make mods, and takes even more to make use of them effectively. Thus, not just ol anybody can make such a thing...

The game in itself is most likely going to be worth the cost. Adding a few new things doesn't hurt the value, in my opinion...