New profile posts

Articuno was the best legendary out of the trio of legendary birds.
ColdCallerLoopy
ColdCallerLoopy
I'm sorry but Moltres is better.
Cibryll
Cibryll
… Question. Would this be the Kantonian or Galarian form?
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
Kanto
Also there's no argumentent than your just wrong
are these forums even active anymore? i just joined and i wanna see if i get a response from anyone lol
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
Yeah, they're still active, just nothing like they used to be.
Raichu
Raichu
among us imposter
Totally forgot to post this here, my bad.

In July, I decided to dig into the Ikachan decompilation to make something cool out of it.
From there, I made a widescreen mod for Ikachan, which also has some widescreen art made by @Eli.

There's an English *and* Japanese version, although the Japanese version needs updated soon to use the SHIFT-JIS charset by default.

This is based off of the original english translation of the game too, although, the "staff.ptx" file had to be changed a lot because it apparently never worked correctly??

Anyways, the link is here. It's not anything big honestly, but it is a cool way to play Ikachan maybe.

Thank you, hope anybody reading this has a good day!

Also for the record, this was created solely because I was bored one day
Is it a better idea to release your mod once it is entirely done or more interesting to release a demo?
Eli
Eli
it's always good to release a demo, even if it's just asking a friend to playtest it - that way you get a fresh experience and realtime feedback/bug reports
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
If the amount of time needed to make the mod is much more than 6 months, then I think there's a lot of worth in releasing a demo before it's done, because waiting all that time with little to no community engagement can be exhausting.

It has been a year.

it's always good to release a demo, even if it's just asking a friend to playtest it - that way you get a fresh experience and realtime feedback/bug reports

Oh yeah, I haven't waited a whole year just to realise that what I made was kind of meh, in fact I realized what I made was cool because of play testing and feedback, as the project originally (and stayed most of) started as a side project I would do when bored or had this one random idea that I found cool.
ColdCallerLoopy
ColdCallerLoopy
I agree with Hayden and that scope plays a big factor. If you make a mod for the bi-monthly CSMC modfest, you have about a week (and some more depending on when the mods are streamed) to work on them, you typically don't want to release a demo of a mod that you spent a few days on, just release the thing when you're done with it after the modfest ends.

If you're working on like a simple challenge mod or a generally shorter project, I'd say it doesn't hurt to drop demos to gauge opinions, but I think you'd be better off finishing it and releasing post-mod updates fixing bugs and such.

For much longer and bigger projects I'd definitely recommend releasing it in parts and getting opinions and feedback on the experience. You get to see growth as both the player and the mod-producer.

But there's a strange caveat that kind plagues modding in the CS community: There's little to no incentivization. Nobody is being paid to work on a mod and the circumstances of CS' fading legacy means the community gets smaller and smaller each year; It's understandable why several members have left the community to work on bigger projects whether solo or with a team.

If you're making a mod long term or not, demo or full release, make it for the love of Cave Story. I think we're well past Cave Story's hype period and the community shows little signs of major growth unless a mod or CS makes it big with a streamer or Pixel/Nicalis drop CS2 out of nowhere.

I'm unsure, there's lots of factors that go into it all. Just do your best and release what you feel like when you feel like it, don't let burn out control you, take breaks, and make the mod because you love CS.
Many fond memories remain… even as time continues to walk forward, never changing its course.
ikachan 2 is releasing on July 14th, 2022.

This is not an official release obviously. This is an expansion developed by fans.

I swear I didn't just make this up.
Willow
Willow
Hell yeah
Nerdieo
Nerdieo
ikachan 2 really bouta be goty 2022
rip Flake he will be missed
Brayconn
Brayconn
also rip Haydn Fangirl

I wonder what mod they were working on
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
I thought we were talking of a cat

now what was that cat's mod tho :debug:
I love ratatouille so much you don't understand
EnlightenedOne
EnlightenedOne
I mean, to be fair, it's one of the best Pixar movies, and an amazing movie in general. I'm not a massive Pixar fan and think some of their prestige is overrated, but I can't name any better films from them other than the first Incredibles. Ratatouille is a top movie.

......unless you are referring to the freaking videogame again with this post.
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
God tier meal.
autumn_mnya
autumn_mnya
@EnlightenedOne I am intrigued by your post. Why yes, I am talking about the video game in this post, but I also am talking about the movie. Let's focus on the movie, shall we?

The movie is incredible. Stellar. It's one of the best films I've ever seen. The characters are incredibly well written, the comedy is there when it needs to be there (and is pretty good too), and the overall structure is incredibly nice.
The soundtrack is also really good! It really fits with the theming of the movie well. This also ties into the art / art direction, which they did an amazing job with in this film.
I still think that Ratatouille is Pixar's magnum opus, and hopefully always will. I haven't seen a movie that's made me feel more things than ratatouille.

However, now let's shift gears into: The Game.

The Game is a bit of a different story. Ratatouille released on 13 different platforms at launch, many of which being entirely different games. The version of Ratatouille that everyone loves / remembers well is the version created by "Asobo", which released on GameCube, PS2, Xbox, and the Wii. As well as a PC port!

The Game is obviously just one of those early 2000's movie-tie in games. However, I do think it has some promising content!

The gameplay is honestly pretty decent, and the story is pretty alright too (Although, I haven't finished it).

My favorite part of the game has got to be the optional "dream world" levels, which are incredibly fun in my opinion. Especially when they come built-in with the ability to save your speedrun times!

However, the game obviously is just that: A kids game. It was made for profit, really. However, it's a damn good one in my opinion. Definitely not as good as something like SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom, but it exists and it's alright.

I understand that I talk on the forums a lot about how I love ratatouille (the game) so much. Which is true because I really do love the game that much it's so good please play ratatou
I've been laughing to a stupid pun I wrote in a blog post for over 20 minutes now.
MyGirlRobot
MyGirlRobot
Pun for the whole family

I guess we should call the Pun-itentiary and reserve a room for you
I'm so glad I was in vc and was like "yeah lemme just playthrough 1.18 to see how things how changed", I caught several major bugs, lol, oops
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
Fun~.

Jokes aside, happens to me more often when I show a mod to someone.
I feel like most people on here are too scared to say something we know is true. Hajime is the best Jenka pup.
ColdCallerLoopy
EnlightenedOne
EnlightenedOne
I mean, you aren't wrong. Hajime is probably the talking dog in plantation because they're the leader of the pups and ask that you "say hi" to Curly.
MyGirlRobot
MyGirlRobot
I'm a Mick fan myself, but Hajime is an extremely good boy, I could be persuaded
Back