WTF story demo v 0.504

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:38 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: WTF story demo v 0.4

carrotlord said:
Well, I've played both versions, and it seems that only the 1st area is different (Chapter 1: Bizarre Beginnings?). The rest of WTF easy seems to be almost the same as WTF hard.

(Of course, I'm not entirely sure, so I might be wrong. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

It isn't a glitch in the normal mode because they insta-kill you, I'm pretty sure. (just checked, they do just enough damage to kill you in regular mode).

I lowered their damage to make it a bit easier, but I should prbbly put a trigger down there anyways.

Also I'll probably remap the second part of chapter 4, the part where you ride the things. And both versions will likely have a shorter system matrix.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

Also I'll probably remap the second part of chapter 4, the part where you ride the things. And both versions will likely have a shorter system matrix.
Good, there's an exploit in that part as well that might need to be fixed. You can, with luck or temporary invincibility after hitting a bouncy ball enemy, fall trough the first area's second part and end up on the platforms near the bottom. Then you just wait there until the Rail Engine gets so close you can jump onto it again. With some practice, you can do this on purpose.

By the way, Chapter 4 has real brilliant stage design. I seem to end up thinking "AARGH! I'll quit this damn thing right now!!" and then keep on playing for another 30 minutes anyway. I'm at the Cheese Bridge Area with the three Engines you need to jump back and forth between.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:18 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Yal said:
I seem to end up thinking "AARGH! I'll quit this damn thing right now!!" and then keep on playing for another 30 minutes anyway.

I did that, and ended up playing for another 4 hours... (and then finished it xD)

I somehow love this mod, even though I kept on getting my ass handed to me by the freakin railway and system matrix... I think its the awesome title screen xD... I think it took me longer to finish this then Cave Story...

Like srsly, my time on this game went something like this:

Chap 1: 1.5 hours
Chap 2: 1 hour
Chap 3: 2.5 hours
Chap 4: 3.5-4 hours -_-

(On normal mode btw, haven't done easy (don't want to))

Either way, good game. The most notable thing in the game is the RPG, it works exactly as it should =P
As for the Broken Spur, it really lost almost ALL its use so early in the game...

Keep it coming :D

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

Nuha said:
I did that, and ended up playing for another 4 hours... (and then finished it xD)

I somehow love this mod, even though I kept on getting my ass handed to me by the freakin railway and system matrix... I think its the awesome title screen xD... I think it took me longer to finish this then Cave Story...

Like srsly, my time on this game went something like this:

Chap 1: 1.5 hours
Chap 2: 1 hour
Chap 3: 2.5 hours
Chap 4: 3.5-4 hours -_-

(On normal mode btw, haven't done easy (don't want to))

eh I don't have a timeframe, but WTF easy only took me about 1.5-2 hours overall, with all minigames and such. I thought it was a little too easy at times -.-"

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:25 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Chapter four minigame suggestions

Thought 1: whack-a-mole with pop-out turrets would be interesting, especially If you have to shoot them to pass a door or something.
Thought 2: Boulder launch: You shoot a target an X amount of times in a certain time-frame, target flies distance proportional to damage dealt.
Thought 3: Optional games: As the guy above said, a slot machine or maybe a roulette may spice things up: put virtually no health powerups in the level, but scatter slot machines and the like through the level: jackpot: full heal, others: varying degrees of healing, Hurting lineups: enemy spawn for "kinder" penalties, and maybe a modified counter bomb to take off fixed amounts of health for harsher punishments?
Those are just my two cents: take them with a grain of salt.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:38 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

cultr1 said:
eh I don't have a timeframe, but WTF easy only took me about 1.5-2 hours overall, with all minigames and such. I thought it was a little too easy at times -.-"

Uhm... try normal? =D

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Has to be one of the hardest mods ever.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:16 PM

By the way, I got an idea that's got nothing to do with minigames... You know these russian wooden dolls, the babusjkas? Each one of them are hollow, and there's another one inside that's a little bit smaller than the previous one... until you get to the core one that's massive.

I kinda got the idea that something like that, the same level repeated but getting smaller all the time, could be a way of racking up epicness points in one of the computer-themed areas (how about having a babusjka level before the last battle against
Interrobang, shaped like her (Curly's) silhouette
?) Oh, I think Cave Story has a maximum of 128 maps, so it might be good to have all of these silhouettes in the same map...

Another similiar idea would be to have an area based on SM64's Tiny-Huge Island course: there's gates that takes you between area A where everything is much larger than you, both enemies and the actual stage layout; and the corresponding spot in area B, where you're a gargatuan and everything is tiny. Including the footholds. (Both areas are carbon copies of each other, apart from their size. I've never gotten wether it's Mario that shrinks and grows or if there's two identical islands...)

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Maximum of 128 maps doesn't matter, unless GIR is a whole buttload more of an idiot than I thought he was.
I mean, all you have to do is use the search function to find out how to change it...

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Re: Chapter four minigame suggestions

Overload said:
Those are just my two cents: take them with a grain of salt.

CLICHE OVERLOAD, OVERLOAD!

p45081-0-fail1.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:18 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Dude, could you calm down just a little bit?
Show some respect.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:23 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"

Sorry.......
Was in a bad mood when I got home from school today.

DAMN FRICKEN FAKE DUMBASS SHITHEAD POSER GANGSTER DOUCHEBAGS! :(:mad::mad:

Okay, I'm better now.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:44 PM

But you're like that normally, all "epic fayul l00zr", it's just not cool.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:54 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Lace said:
But you're like that normally, all "epic fayul l00zr", it's just not cool.

Yes he should apologize to all of us especially the ugandans.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Maximum of 128 maps doesn't matter, unless GIR is a whole buttload more of an idiot than I thought he was.
I mean, all you have to do is use the search function to find out how to change it...
Well, I assume(d?) there's more to it than that. Like, there's some sort of array or advanced list, and meddling with it would make the game... well, overload.

Let's say Cave Story uses... damn... One and a half byte (realised 16*16 = 256...) to keep track of map numbers...

OK, you might have a point; I can't raise any arguments that helps me.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Weel, I know how to change it.
It's just a RAM buffer problem, gir can deal.

May 2, 2010 at 10:01 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ionescel said:
Yes I know that already
I went to the door WAY ABOVE ...
and died >o<

That was really WTF O.o"

Ok the thing with the chests is that I like the puzzle you have going there but the glitter isnt constent enough that you can just stare at all the chests and pick out the right one, so you have to look at each chest and thats slower than just opening them all.

May 3, 2010 at 12:09 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

sontroid said:
Ok the thing with the chests is that I like the puzzle you have going there but the glitter isnt constent enough that you can just stare at all the chests and pick out the right one, so you have to look at each chest and thats slower than just opening them all.

Which level of difficulty are you talking about? They flash more frequently (and longer too) in easy. Although I have some other ideas on how to make the puzzle easier (at least initially, since people seem to struggle the most with the first one).

May 3, 2010 at 12:38 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Which level of difficulty are you talking about? They flash more frequently (and longer too) in easy. Although I have some other ideas on how to make the puzzle easier (at least initially, since people seem to struggle the most with the first one).

I'm playing on normal mode but I think that you should increase it in normal mode becuse like I said, its hard to look at a screenfull of chests at the same time becuse they arent in sync. It would be nice if you could make all the chests flash at the same time so the one would stand out more.

May 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

sontroid said:
I'm playing on normal mode but I think that you should increase it in normal mode becuse like I said, its hard to look at a screenfull of chests at the same time becuse they arent in sync. It would be nice if you could make all the chests flash at the same time so the one would stand out more.

I would do that, but at this point normal mode only exists to punish the player, as in it's difficulty will be mostly untouched. "Easy" mode in itself should be considered the normal mode really, since it's the mode with the curve adjusted to reflect a more normal difficulty. Also making them all flash at the same time every time would kind of ruin the puzzle, make it easier than I would have intended.