WTF story demo v 0.504

May 3, 2010 at 11:17 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Re: WTF story demo v 0.4

I think the reason the first chest is the hardest might be a combination of sereval reasons:

First of all, after each memory the camera focuses on the next chest for a little while. The first time you start from scratch and has no waymarks to help you find the spot where the chest might be. But the next time, you can see that "the chest was a little left of the floor below the save point", giving you fewer chests to look at.

Secondly, you have to understand how the puzzle works the first time (finding the chest that doesn't shimmer/flash), and until you either notice a chest that doesn't flash, or understand the clue (remember that a lot of americans will play this!), you will do mad stuff like running around and find a secret way, or repeatedly going trough the door to the Execution Chamber.

Hmm... by the way, I noticed how the Memory Bank loops not only vertical but also horizontal (which was harder to find out). Will you use something similiar for a Lost Woods-like area later in the game? (I think it would look the best if computer themed, the words "system matrix" gave me associations to something like that: virtual lost woods from OoT

EDIT:
Correct guess ^_^. Now, one question about the Matrix:
When the Helpful Sign dies, how am I supposed to know if I'm going the right way or not? I understood how the trick worked (just back-track in a circle if you end up on the Wrong Way), but the sign really fooled me when it started to lie! ^_^ After a while, I started to feel that something fishy was going on (after thinking "WTF! Now it started over! What did I do wrong?!") So, well, LOVE IT!
But as soon as the Sign dies and there's no way to get feedback, the Matrix gets a true pain. Has I reached the end of the mod or what?
Also, if losing track completely, it's very hard to find an area where there's a Right sign. How big is the system matrix, really? I counted with 8x8 as I skimmed trough the area to find track again, but that didn't really help.

May 7, 2010 at 2:13 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Yal, I thought there had to be a combination of directions in the matrix...Guess I was wrong.

EDIT: Anyways I managed to get through the matrix. It wasn't hard to notice which text means "right" and which means "wrong". The "wrong" text always appears more frequently.

Also how does the portal gun work?

May 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

WoodenRat said:
Yal, I thought there had to be a combination of directions in the matrix...Guess I was wrong.

What am I supposed to do there?

You basically wander around until you get out. I've been told this takes awhile (will probably be shortened in later versions). It's not too hard, just takes time (and possibly patience).

May 8, 2010 at 12:09 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"

Yal said:
I think the reason the first chest is the hardest might be a combination of sereval reasons:

First of all, after each memory the camera focuses on the next chest for a little while. The first time you start from scratch and has no waymarks to help you find the spot where the chest might be. But the next time, you can see that "the chest was a little left of the floor below the save point", giving you fewer chests to look at.

Secondly, you have to understand how the puzzle works the first time (finding the chest that doesn't shimmer/flash), and until you either notice a chest that doesn't flash, or understand the clue (remember that a lot of americans will play this!), you will do mad stuff like running around and find a secret way, or repeatedly going trough the door to the Execution Chamber.

Hmm... by the way, I noticed how the Memory Bank loops not only vertical but also horizontal (which was harder to find out). Will you use something similiar for a Lost Woods-like area later in the game? (I think it would look the best if computer themed, the words "system matrix" gave me associations to something like that: virtual lost woods from OoT

EDIT:
When the Helpful Sign dies, how am I supposed to know if I'm going the right way or not? I understood how the trick worked (just back-track in a circle if you end up on the Wrong Way), but the sign really fooled me when it started to lie! ^_^ After a while, I started to feel that something fishy was going on (after thinking "WTF! Now it started over! What did I do wrong?!") So, well, LOVE IT!
But as soon as the Sign dies and there's no way to get feedback, the Matrix gets a true pain. Has I reached the end of the mod or what?
Also, if losing track completely, it's very hard to find an area where there's a Right sign. How big is the system matrix, really? I counted with 8x8 as I skimmed trough the area to find track again, but that didn't really help.
One, why do you think Americans are dumb?
Two, The riddle is easy; but I was stumped by it because I thought there was something much more deeper to it.
Three, these numbers seem obnoxious.
EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot four; if dumb people aren't smart enough to find the clue I don't think they'll be smart enough to not screw up the mod and not be able to play it; or even hear about mods, or even cave story.

May 8, 2010 at 8:36 AM
Pirate Member

Okay how do I use the
portalgun
? It doesn't do anything.

May 8, 2010 at 12:57 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Step one: Shoot gun
Step two: Press "W"!
Step three: Shoot gun
Step four: ????

May 8, 2010 at 10:28 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Yal said:
EDIT:
You're not supposed to know the right way. At that point you wander around until you get out, which doesn't take too long. The system matrix is infinitely big, but in reality it's only 7x14 rooms, just to give the impression that it's bigger when it loops.

Just wander around the matrix once the sign explodes, and of course don't ever just go 1 way for like 2 or more moves.

You'll know when you've reached the end of the mod.

@Noxid: You forgot "Step five: Profit!", but oh well.

I think I'll make it more obvious how that works in the next version.

May 10, 2010 at 10:06 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Alright, I was playing through your hack a second time, this time on Normal (which is hardly any different from Easy, just the weapons do less damage.) and with the
Portal Gun. (The download came with a save at the Train puzzle right before the Matrix.)

Now then, I seem to have encountered a glitch.
I'm in the Security Hallway or whatever it's called, at the end of the water puzzle (activating the switch's at the correct order) and attempted to do the Secret Mission for the extra gig. Well, the secret mission turned out to be number 2, instead of 3. So instead of the water puzzle I got the Blocks puzzle, back in the Tetris area. I just went with it and completed it, getting the RAM, but then I was let out back in the Tetris area where you enter for that mission. So I tried restarting, but I just wound up back at the start of the secret mission. If I rejected it, I still wind up in the Tetris area. If I try and go into the boss room with Blocky, the camera doesn't move, and the boss doesn't spawn.

My inventory consisted of the standard items (Cell phone, Small Key, Booster 2.0 (I portal-glitched to avoid having it break, that's probably the problem :/) Broken Spur, Portal Gun, Block Gun, RPG) and had 3 gigs of RAM before the secret mission.
Apologies for the wall of text. I pretty much know that profile is screwed now, I just wanted to report this before it happens to someone else. ^^

Edit:
Well, I managed to save that profile by blindly finding the door after the Blocky Boss. Smooth sailing from there ^^

May 10, 2010 at 11:50 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Shadow the Past said:
Now then, I seem to have encountered a glitch.
I'm in the Security Hallway or whatever it's called, at the end of the water puzzle (activating the switch's at the correct order) and attempted to do the Secret Mission for the extra gig. Well, the secret mission turned out to be number 2, instead of 3. So instead of the water puzzle I got the Blocks puzzle, back in the Tetris area. I just went with it and completed it, getting the RAM, but then I was let out back in the Tetris area where you enter for that mission. So I tried restarting, but I just wound up back at the start of the secret mission. If I rejected it, I still wind up in the Tetris area. If I try and go into the boss room with Blocky, the camera doesn't move, and the boss doesn't spawn.

My inventory consisted of the standard items (Cell phone, Small Key, Booster 2.0 (I portal-glitched to avoid having it break, that's probably the problem :/) Broken Spur, Portal Gun, Block Gun, RPG) and had 3 gigs of RAM before the secret mission.

Edit:
Well, I managed to save that profile by blindly finding the door after the Blocky Boss. Smooth sailing from there ^^

It's been reported before around 4 times. The portal gun run was never bug tested, since it's more or less non-canon with the mod itself. But the fix for this is easy (simply making it impossible to avoid the booster breaking).

Also in easy you have 2 extra health, and the Lower Network and parts of the Comm Towers were remapped to make the harder parts easier. Enemies have less hp, and the guns do more damage.

May 11, 2010 at 4:44 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
It's been reported before around 4 times. The portal gun run was never bug tested, since it's more or less non-canon with the mod itself. But the fix for this is easy (simply making it impossible to avoid the booster breaking).

Also in easy you have 2 extra health, and the Lower Network and parts of the Comm Towers were remapped to make the harder parts easier. Enemies have less hp, and the guns do more damage.

My question is why does having the Booster break the Secret Mission sequence.
I mean, with a little fix so it doesn't, you could make that a feature rather than a bug.
Which would be awesome.

Also, @Shadow the Past: Ha-ha. Good luck.
Place where the Booster's supposed to break? Stays flooded after the secret mission.

May 11, 2010 at 4:49 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

DragonBoots said:
My question is why does having the Booster break the Secret Mission sequence.
I mean, with a little fix so it doesn't, you could make that a feature rather than a bug.
Which would be awesome.

Also, @Shadow the Past: Ha-ha. Good luck.
Place where the Booster's supposed to break? Stays flooded after the secret mission.

The secret mission room knows which secret mission to send you to based on whether or not a certain flag is set (basically how far you've gotten in the game). The one for secret mission 3 is set when the booster breaks, but it could easily be set to one of the other flags set earlier in chapter 3. Basically by not breaking your booster you trick the game into thinking your still in chapter 2.

May 11, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Could I just bother you to reword this part a little bit:
"Just wander around the matrix once the sign explodes, and of course don't ever just go 1 way for like 2 or more moves."

Do you mean that I should go around randomly, but never go in the same direction twice in a row? I don't really understand it fully...
Anyway, thanks for your explaination! Spare the quoted part, I understood it and it made things more clear.

May 11, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Do you mean that I should go around randomly, but never go in the same direction twice in a row? I don't really understand it fully...
Basically yeah, that's what I mean.

May 12, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Aha. Just wanted to make sure I got it. I'm still not really sure wether I understand what I should do, but at least I've got a faint clue now ^_^.

May 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

That room wanted to make me put a hammer through my computer. But in a good way.
Plus the music was nice too so that made it better.

May 12, 2010 at 9:02 PM

DragonBoots said:

I managed to get through there
You only need to hit 1 block to open the next gate for some reason, (due to flags or whatever) so I was able to get to the spot with air quickly. Then I just used the portal gun to resurface for air again and again until the next area.

Anyway, sorry for the repeated bug report. I'd have used the search function, but it's totally unreliable for me >:/

May 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Shadow the Past said:
I managed to get through there
You only need to hit 1 block to open the next gate for some reason, (due to flags or whatever) so I was able to get to the spot with air quickly. Then I just used the portal gun to resurface for air again and again until the next area.

Anyway, sorry for the repeated bug report. I'd have used the search function, but it's totally unreliable for me >:/

Yeah it's because the puzzle's flags are already set if you go back through the glitch.

Also that comment on using the portal to resurface for air gives me an idea for one of the puzzles I can make with the portal gun...

For some reason in chapter 6 I want to have a temple, similar to the ones you would see in Zelda.

May 14, 2010 at 10:07 PM

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Yeah it's because the puzzle's flags are already set if you go back through the glitch.

Also that comment on using the portal to resurface for air gives me an idea for one of the puzzles I can make with the portal gun...

For some reason in chapter 6 I want to have a temple, similar to the ones you would see in Zelda.
Glad this glitch helped inspire you xD

Looking forward to seeing this completed

May 17, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Ohh.... Makes me envision the Water Temple of OoT... And with both a shadow Quote and Curly, you could probably make a nice remake of the most epic mini-boss battle in the entire history of gaming...

*drool*

May 17, 2010 at 5:12 PM
"Huzzah!"

Yal said:
Ohh.... Makes me envision the Water Temple of OoT... And with both a shadow Quote and Curly, you could probably make a nice remake of the most epic mini-boss battle in the entire history of gaming...

*drool*

I was about to refute that whole 'most epic miniboss battle' thing with some comments about 'OOT isn't the best game ever, nor best Zelda ever' and other stuff probly...

but then I realized you were right. THat miniboss battle is super epic