WTF story demo v 0.504

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:57 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: WTF story demo v 0.4

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I already am using the second idea (kind of).

And the prizes are secret for now.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Hmmmm I don't know about the quiz show.

Ok so here are the ideas so far:

-House of mirrors
-Shoot Ducks that fall from the sky
-Pick a door

If anyone else has any other ideas, let me know.

does it have to be ducks? Why not the cat heads from shine shine galaxy (die die galaxy)? IMO that would be better... Eh or not, considering you will have just added a cat for a main character... :confused:

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:05 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

PAC MAN

Collect all the dots and then in the spot where the fruit appears place the ram chip.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:59 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

Carneval theme?

You know, with the fireball having gravity, I think it could be hacked into being "bow and arrows"... I'd like to suggest some balloon-popping mini game, but you've already got the duck shooting...

HEY!!!!
I got it! Heard about mini-golf? How about having mini-golf by using the fireball balls? You have to get the ball into the hole trough a stage with uphills/downhills that affects its momentum.

Just read the most recent blog updates. As for new tile types, how about tiles that's only possible to pass one way? Like, floors you can jump trough, but not fall trough; as well as one-way walls. Good for mazes.
As well, I imagine you could make a very interesting puzzle if you had switches that turned "Solid" areas to "Pass trough" and vice versa (which would be achieved by having an event change a lot of map tiles between the two types when a switch is shot). This could make real nasty puzzles if it's possible to get trapped inside walls as gaps solidify, thus killing you. (Like getting trapped below the tetris blocks would do). For niceness, it should be possible to see what areas would solidify and what walls/floors would liquidify (how about placing 127-spikes below a platform that turns non-solid as you hit a switch above it?)

So what I'm suggesting here is a "Way - Wall World", to traverstice SM64's "Wet - Dry World"
. Get what I mean? I feel like my explaination could do with some improvement...
================
Some feedback, by the way:

>At least in WTF easy, your RAM (life?) should be restored every time you start a secret mission. Right now, it doesn't feel fair when your odds of clearing them/room for errors can vary a lot depending on if you got hit before entering them or not. Especially when you can't come back after healing yourself, like the Tetris mission. Simply; not having your life restored when starting the mini-game makes odds not being the same for every 'player'.

>I don't get wether the Cube Gun is supposed to be funny or not. It doesn't really feel so nice, seeing as it works exactly the same as the Broken Spur, but with slower shots and a higher on-screen bullet count (and dealing one more point of damage per hit). It doesn't really feel neccesary. Will it be possible to have it create cubes (Star blocks) with it later in the game, or did you just feel like the game needed another weapon that worked essentialy like the first?

>The battle against two Fire Whirrs in Ch3 Pipe Dreams, while you're submerged in water, is very possible, but it isn't clear enough that the pillars that limits the water area is indeed underwater tiles. I drowned when standing at one of them (didn't want to rush into the next bunch of enemies without having a good look at them), on the right side that should be out of the water (not a pixel of Quote's sprite was left of the pillar's boundaries on the tile, so graphically I was out of the water area even though the game counted me as being).

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:08 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Vercci said:
PAC MAN

Collect all the dots and then in the spot where the fruit appears place the ram chip.

Oh this would actually work, and not be that hard. But no ram chip. Also I'd call it "Snack man". Or some other variation.

@Yal: The wall maze seems like an interesting idea. Also I've already completely rehacked the fireball, so it's physics can't be used in making any other puzzles (although I could really recode some of it's physics if I wanted to in another gun).

And I guess I could put a heart before the second secret mission. The cube gun is more or less necessary since it does significantly more damage than the spur (more so in normal mode). Plus it's an optional weapon. And maybe later in the game, you'll be able to upgrade your weapons....

As for the last point, I really think you should be more concerned about not drowning than seeing what's ahead. The AIR timer is on screen for a reason. Shouldn't be too hard to make it a bit more obvious though.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:01 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Time Trial using 290! (nikumaru counter) See how long it takes you to do a small maze-like level. If Time < X where X is a respectable finish time, you win! If not, you die.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:49 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

He'll have to implement turning the timer off (Unless this is already in cave story)

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:53 AM
inactive user

Well, he can do it.
Fuck you if you think he can't.

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:01 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Vercci said:
He'll have to implement turning the timer off (Unless this is already in cave story)

Turing the timer off is easy, since it can be done using <EQ-.

Also, the Nikumaru time is saved as a RAM offset. This should really be a cakewalk.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:10 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Although implementing a timer is by no means a difficult feat, I don't think I'll be using the idea.

Ideas so far:

-House of mirrors
-Shoot Cats that fall from the sky
-Pick a door
-Pac Man
-Wall maze

I only need 1 or 2 more at this point.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:14 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."

Collect coins in a certain amount of time.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Something like Me and My Katamari but in 2D and with a snowball? You push a snowball from point A to point B, trying to get stuff to get stuck on it to make it expand (just destroy what it hits, there's no real need to have it stick on the outside of the snowball...). The snowball loses momentum in uphills, and if it starts rolling backwards it crushes you?

Another idea would be a running race, perhaps? Get to the goal before the other people.

And finally, perhaps a version of Glasses? Someone suggested a DM version of Glasses to be added as DLC for DMWii, and now when I recall that, Quote wears sunshades troughout WTF Story. See a connection?

Hmm... of course, all of these suggestions sounds like they could be hard to implement.

= = = = =

Something that would be hilarious to see, by the way, would be an exact replica of W1-1 (or W8-4?) from Super Mario Bros.. But that sounds a little like it's a too cheap joke to include.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"

Help I am stuck:
I am in the room which is full of boxes. I got the cell phone, the key and the heart. What should I do next?
EDIT: I got it.:p

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:06 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Yal said:
And finally, perhaps a version of Glasses? Someone suggested a DM version of Glasses to be added as DLC for DMWii, and now when I recall that, Quote wears sunshades troughout WTF Story. See a connection?

I think I like this idea the best. It'd be easy to implement, and I think it would be fun.

I'm still open to 1 more idea if a good one pops up. Otherwise, well I've got all the minigame ideas I need for the carnival. Thanks for the input so far.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:04 PM

shooting clowns?

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Apr 22, 2010 at 11:24 PM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"

Something like You vs. Boo from SBM Deluxe?

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:35 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Safusaka said:
Something like You vs. Boo from SBM Deluxe?

I was going to say no to this one, but then I youtubed it. Looks like a pretty awesome idea. Probably won't be a Boo that you'll be racing though.

Thanks for the input guys.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:31 AM

By the way, I found a little glitch in WTF easy. (I haven't dared playing the normal mode yet, seeing how hard WTF Easy does eventually become...)

In Secret Mission 4, there's this place where you can fall out of the room. There's two mines blocking the hole, but if you have more than 2 hp, you'll survive the hit and fall out of the screen. I expected the "You were never seen again" to pop up, but it didn't. Of course, it's not like pressing ESC and F2 is a big deal, but it looked a bit unprofessional.

By the way, the music is very nice! The tune from the wire frames of Chapter 1 is stuck looping in my head. I personally think the boss music should sound more heavy-metal like than it does right now, I think it sounds more like "Calm cutscene where witch brews an evil potion" than boss music... But that's just my opinion, and not being very constructive. Every other tune is right on the spot, anyway!

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:27 PM
inactive user

um.......
SupaSupa Platforming Slot machine!

spindle--spindle ---spindle
------------------------press down here
------------------------to start spindles
press----press----press
down----down----down
to--------to-------to
stop-----stop-----stop
spindle--spindle---spindle
1---------2----------3

Coins drop out here!
Get 13 coins to win!

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:21 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Yal said:
By the way, I found a little glitch in WTF easy. (I haven't dared playing the normal mode yet, seeing how hard WTF Easy does eventually become...)

Well, I've played both versions, and it seems that only the 1st area is different (Chapter 1: Bizarre Beginnings?). The rest of WTF easy seems to be almost the same as WTF hard.

(Of course, I'm not entirely sure, so I might be wrong. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)