Translation Discussion

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
In the original credits, the monster was called
deleet
come on guys, that's like two letters switched, you know that's what pixel intended it to sound like, sheesh.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:19 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
People blow my posts way out of proportion. I thought adding the hahaha would let people know I knew what he meant

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:48 AM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I just finished with an FAQ based on the wii version, that uses stuff like 'bushlands' instead of 'grasstown' but I kept the enemy names whatever they're listed as on the tribute site--and I don't think I'm even going to bother to change it, even in the cave of 'red demon' even though the item's plainly listed as 'red ogre medal'

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM
"..."
cultr1 said:
In the original credits, the monster was called
deleet
come on guys, that's like two letters switched, you know that's what pixel intended it to sound like, sheesh.
Eh, I did it too, but no, that appears to still be the same, though since my computer FAILS at taking screenshots from CS, I can never recall all the credits.

...Where was that YT Vid posted...

[EDIT]: Thank you X-Cal for posting this in a different thread.

X-Calibar said:

Ending Credits
Make note of 2:43-2:47.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:18 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Don't like it. Why the heck did they put Balrog saying "Oh Yeahhh!"? It doesn't make any sense if you ask me. That way he sounds like Kool Aid... Then it would be better if they had turn balrog into kool aid. If not, then they should just let it be.

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:22 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
This may have been discussed before, but does the mimiga in the Plantation jail still say anything along the lines of "Dr. dumb can go screw himself?"

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:26 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Not anymore, he doesn't, as Captain Fabulous has stated in post #74.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:18 AM
Well, think about it. "The Doc can go eat it" is kind of a way more extreme term than "screw himself".

Just think of it as saying "The Doctor can go eat a di---" but with the end of the sentence cut off due to Nintendo.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:39 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Lace said:
Chinfish to Eggfish
"Huzzah/Dorya" to "Oh Yeah"
Grasstown to Bushlands (knew about this before the translation, but D'x)
I don't see what's wrong with Eggfish and Bushlands. I don't think I like "Oh yeah", though; it strikes me as more of a "Oh yeah, that's it!" than what it's used for in the game. But perhaps that's just me.

MetaSeraphim said:
Bubbler to Bubbline? Seriously?
...where on earth did they get that from?

Fluff8836 said:
It is the full saying.
p97523-0-deleet.gif
is:
Delete
So, really, it wasn't changed at all; they just fixed the spelling.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:04 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
So, really, it wasn't changed at all; they just fixed the spelling.
You think "Deleet" wasn't misspelled on purpose? To make it more namelike?

Quick question: what of those names would you give a character in the next installment of Paper Mario?

1) Paper
2) Papre

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:48 PM
Yal said:
You think "Deleet" wasn't misspelled on purpose? To make it more namelike?

Quick question: what of those names would you give a character in the next installment of Paper Mario?

1) Paper
2) Papre

haha, what the heck. You make a good point, and then make a good point for the opposite argument..

So, by the first section of your post, "Deleet" is a better name than "Delete" because it's more memorable and sounds like the name of an enemy rather than a simple action. But then, you seem to be saying that it should be called "Delete" rather than "Deleet" because "Papre" Mario, though a more interesting name, is just kind of stupid when you think about it.

EITHER WAY I was calling them "Deleets" on purpose in my FAQ until I JUST NOW added a bunch of stuff and in the process changed the name to "Delete" at every instance I referred to them in the whole guide, partly because so many people here seem to think "Delete" makes more sense, then your post is all LKJSDALFKJASDI

i don't know i need a shower or some coffee

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:57 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
ragnaroq said:
i don't know i need a shower or some coffee
You need both, simultaneously.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:00 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Coffee shower?

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:02 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
andwhyisit said:
No, because he would refuse.

Actually if that happens then it is probably your fault (and the fault of everyone else of a similar mindset) for not buying the game.

Sure.
My fault.
Wait, I'll go and buy myself a Wii just for some bugged Wiiware title.
Ahhh can't be bothered.
Emulation ftw.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:08 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hence why Pixel should set up a PayPal donation button on his site.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:35 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Something I noticed that was interesting:

In the original CS, the description for Nene is "Jenka's pet. Spends most of her time asleep, but her dreams have been known to portend the future." In CS Wii, there is no mention of her dreams portending the future. Why take out this curious description?

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Cthulhu are listed in the credits as "The enigmatic natives". Even though we figured out that there were more than one Cthulhu a while back, this confirms it.

And "Delete" was most likely named along the same lines as Colon, Quote and Curly.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM
andwhyisit said:
And "Delete" was most likely named along the same lines as Colon, Quote and Curly.

Kinda makes you wonder why there aren't more creatures/characters with names like that... it's such a random trend. Well, unless some of the names actually used refer to Japanese nicknames for keyboard strokes? But I guess that'd have been talked about by now if it were the case, lol.

There's a few other little changes to the descriptions of Jenka's dogs too. Like, Kakeru's bones are 'so many, he doesn't even remember where most of them are anymore' instead of 'by now ong forgotten' which sounds more... deep and weird for a normal dog. I think AG was just trying to add flavor or something.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Has anyone come after another one of the grammar mistakes in the dialogs? My find was when talking to the wandering Mimiga next to the broken sprinkler (does not repeat same dialog).

But don't think even think about doing anything rash.
...I'm safe and ? get to eat my meals, but that's only as long as I take care of their silly flowers.
?= Missing 'I'

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:53 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
The first one is definitly an error, but with the second that I can be safely omitted and still have proper grammatical structure, since the sentence will still have a subject, that being the I in I'm.