Translation Discussion

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:51 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Yes. Aeon Genesis really did mess up "Litigano Moscoud", which should have been Ri-ta-ga-no-mo tsu-ku-dou, or Doukutsu monogatari backwards.

I think we should take the time to play the Japanese cavestory, to see what's REALLY going on with the dialogue. There is at least one person I know of on the forums who understands some Japanese.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:52 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
thecrown said:
Chin Fish is Egg Fish.

p112537-0-boostercry.png

Oh...

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:00 AM
Been here way too long...
And personally I think you (the complainers that haven't bought the game) are all just going along with this shit because you are too fucking stingy to pay for the WiiWare version and want a decent excuse so as to not lose face.
Be out with it andwhy! Strike at the hearts of your enemies! (By which, of course, you mean me and fire). I don't really think I'd lose face If I didn't buy it, so invalid argument, and I really think the new dialogue is dumb, but I'm probably going to buy it anyways. Have a few hundred lying around somewhere, so meh.

Three things that make me most sad.
Chinfish to Eggfish
"Huzzah/Dorya" to "Oh Yeah"
Grasstown to Bushlands (knew about this before the translation, but D'x)

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:02 AM
"..."
Well, in spite of all this, I may have my raeg and all, but at least I have CS on my computer, if I don't like the WiiWare one, I'll just find a way to put the PC version on my Wii.

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:56 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Question: Will the inevitable dialogue patch for pc come from a person on here or a person on the nicalis forums?

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:59 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I get the vibe that Tyrone wouldn't want his translation used on the free version. Maybe I'm wrong.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:23 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I wouldn't overly mind the translation being more literal, but so far nobody has mentioned it revealing anything that wasn't already known (the password thing was very much known about before), so it seems like it was kind of done just for the sake of it in the end. There's something to be said for a translation that does more than just transliterate, as it gives the feel of that extra bit of effort being put in. I might check and see if the original translators have given their take on it.

While I'm at it, keep the personal stuff out of this thread

All of you >:I

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:25 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well, for one, Igor's dialogue is different.
He says something about a professor..
that he works for I guess? And the eggs are for tests.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:17 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Oh god, we're not fighting the professor who's taken control of the devil hat are we?

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:08 AM
No, Igor worked for someone entirely different who we never see, probably because he is no longer alive. This will have to go in the Theories section later. I can't believe I didn't think of that before, but oh well, it makes perfect sense.
Also I will now copyright the phrase "devil hat."

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:37 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
Egg Fish.
I am sadded.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:39 AM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Though I came here late, I really have no problem with the Nicalis translation. It's the closest you can get to Pixel translating it himself, and the little things like "Oh Yeeeeeeah!" are great in my opinion.

also LOL, JUST KIDDING!!!!

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
ragnaroq said:
Though I came here late,

And that, I believe, is going to be the dividing factor. Old fans will probably like the old translation, and new fans might favour the "real" translation.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:48 AM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Noxid said:
And that, I believe, is going to be the dividing factor. Old fans will probably like the old translation, and new fans might favour the "real" translation.

No, no. I came to this THREAD (and FORUM) late... I've been playing Cave Story for years :3c

Even still, your inadvertent reply to my post makes a lot of sense.

I can't decide if I like "Oh Yeah" or "huzzah" more, I'd probably prefer the newer one if NOT for the kool-aid reference which is only kind of cute the first time you see it. Huzzah is a much too-unoft-used exrpression of excitement :C

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:40 PM
"Huzzah!"
Noxid said:

Don't start that one, it's already annoying people assuming that in other fanbases with old/new works. There are too much exeptions to the rule to avoid even start thinking about that.

And i hope that you aren't implying with those " " that a translation is more real than the other option. You can't really measure that, especially from two translation that are close to the original.
Translation it isn't like copy paste, using a direct converter.

Now regarding the topic.
I now rembered that Pixel wanted the english name of his "studio" to be "Pixel Workshop" instead of the more direct translation of "Pixel Studio".
So this old fact might explain some names in this translation that may seem off at first.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:28 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Perhaps it may not be as extreme as you seem to want to believe I'm trying to convince you it is [:(] but, There are some fans that are familiar with the original translation, and would prefer it even if just out of familiarity. It follows logical reasoning that new fans would be more apt to defend the Nicalis translation, as it is the official translation developed with Pixel so is therefore more legitimate [This is also what I mean by "real", by the way].

Both are valid translations with different reasons for each party to favour one over the other.
As such, I stand by my statement.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:45 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Can't say I'm surprised this turned out this way.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:20 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Support Pixel?
I doubt he will get any money.
If the Wiiware Version doesn't get enough buyers in an area.
He get's 0 money.
Just like Nicalis.
Nintendo takes it all.
Hooray.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Why does everybody now want to support pixel by buying this game? If that was your only intention, why didn't you do it when you played the free game on PC by sending him money?
He'd probably get more money that way than from this.